fiduciary

Author Topic: The Flashgun Challenge  (Read 1481 times)

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Experienced Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
Re: The Flashgun Challenge
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2020, 10:22:02 AM »
Question for my fellow challengees (or, y'know, anyone who wants to answer): What is the process of getting custom MHS pieces from TCSS like? I'm interested in what the order process is like, how much time it takes, how much info and how detailed does the design have to be (hand scribbled drawing? CAD file?) Are there peak times to get it done? That sort of thing.

Normally, I would just buy a stock part and modify it myself, but this time, the kind of modification I'm thinking of would really require some custom milling work, and that's just way beyond what I have access to.
I used to be a Jedi like you, then I took a lightsaber to the knee

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2020, 10:54:22 AM »
Question for my fellow challengees (or, y'know, anyone who wants to answer): What is the process of getting custom MHS pieces from TCSS like? I'm interested in what the order process is like, how much time it takes, how much info and how detailed does the design have to be (hand scribbled drawing? CAD file?) Are there peak times to get it done? That sort of thing.

Normally, I would just buy a stock part and modify it myself, but this time, the kind of modification I'm thinking of would really require some custom milling work, and that's just way beyond what I have access to.

Your best bet would be sketch out what youíre looking for, as accurately as you can then email it to Tim, who then could answer all the fun questions like how much, how long. Heíll likely send you a cad sketch of what the finished product would look like before actually cutting metal. Itís not a painful process by any means.
May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2020, 12:08:07 PM »
Started on mine today :angel: had some free time to figure a few bits out and the general direction I'm taking it.
It went far to easy so it's a guarantee there be a problem when it comes to putting all the parts together   :cry:   :laugh:
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2020, 12:10:29 PM »
Your best bet would be sketch out what youíre looking for, as accurately as you can then email it to Tim, who then could answer all the fun questions like how much, how long. Heíll likely send you a cad sketch of what the finished product would look like before actually cutting metal. Itís not a painful process by any means.

Oh, I didn't expect it to be a painful process (well, maybe on my bank balance.) Just the usual first timer's uncertainty, you know? Thanks for the input, anyway, I'll drop TCSS an email next week sometime.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2020, 04:01:56 AM »
Okay, second daft question: Does anyone know of any Graflex replica parts (red button thumbscrew and brass pins, specifically) with metric threads?

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2020, 08:28:10 AM »
As far as I know they all have the same thread that came on the original flash guns.
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2020, 04:21:58 PM »
...Well, I'm glad we set the deadline to October, can't do anything now that I've lost access to half my tools. Blasted coronavirus lockdown.

Offline null

• No Force
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2020, 05:53:52 PM »
And seeing I’m now unemployed... I’ve lost the extra cash to pick up parts! I did manage to grab a off-brand flash cell before all this chaos but for the rest of the parts I’m truly gonna be experiencing what a “found parts” saber is.

Stay healthy friends!

- Steve
Thank you George Lucas for starting it all...