fiduciary

Author Topic: Lightsaber Newbie with Question  (Read 580 times)

Offline rjames1973

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Lightsaber Newbie with Question
« on: January 10, 2020, 12:04:15 PM »
Hi Everyone,

My name is Jim and I just registered on this forum. I am completely new to lightsabers and am interested in building my first one soon. I need some recommendations on what I want, though. What I really want is to build a lightsaber that has the look and sounds of the lightsaber that Obi Wan Kenobi gave to Luke Skywalker in 'Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope'. I don't intend to use it to duel with others. I simply want something that looks and sounds as close as possible to that particular lightsaber, including the blue blade. I have been researching several different lightsaber companies and am leaning towards either the Graflex SE or Graflex CE from Ultrasbers. With so many build options, I'm a little overwhelmed about what options to choose. If anyone could please provide some recommendations on lightsaber companies, lightsaber models and specs to look for to build what I want, please let me know. The final product doesn't have to be something that is super expensive and top of the line. I just want to be able to swing it around and get the basic sounds you'd expect from the original Luke Skywalker lightsaber. Thanks in advance for your help!  :azn:

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
Re: Lightsaber Newbie with Question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 03:12:42 PM »
I have heard others starting with that company, and full transparency, I did as well. All it did was drive to to some of the more advanced electronics and to gut and rebuild what I got there.

It’s all about your budget, but the Graflex shop, Korbanth, and others have great E4 Graflex hilts. I suggest reading lots of posts and watching videos...These can be relatively straight forward, but definitely not a super easy entry build. I did my Graflex as my 3rd build. Also suggest checking out the Let’s Build. Graflex series on YouTube.

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 04:39:18 PM »
Ultrasabers tend to be larger and not very accurate to the real prop used. As mentioned, the graflex shop makes a very good replica as does romans. Those two are usually considered to be closest to original.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 08:30:08 PM »
Typo in my earlier reply...look for Let’s Build A Graflex on YouTube. I have no idea what the opinions are of the author on the forum, and he admits at many points that he is showing you what works for him, but not necessarily the best methods...that said, I gained a ton because it was an organized and complete build, start to finish. If you are starting with a Graflex, you will certainly pick up some things.

Darth Chasm seems to have a ton more experience than I do, but personal opinion...the Graflex shop has a great and accurate flashgun replica which I had a blast with. The replicas that the top and bottom screw together (and the clamp is decorative rather than holding the two halves together) was way easier for me when I was starting out.  Also, if you are interested in the Graflex from the latest movie, KR sabers has something dropping any day now which I am excited to get my hands on.

If you haven’t done so, watch the sticky video of Yoda building a Graflex for a publication. Watching that had me dead set on building my Graflex and I ended up doing 2 in a row as my 2nd and 3rd builds. Good luck!

retrousse