fiduciary

Author Topic: Park Sabers Phase Blade Problems  (Read 4173 times)

Offline t_hac

• Force User
Park Sabers Phase Blade Problems
« on: January 22, 2016, 12:32:55 AM »
HI, i purchased two parks sabers from a collector, they are in excellent condition and have never been duelled with, more specifically a graflex ESB and an obi wan.

Here lies the problem, they both power up and power down fine, the scrolling action is smooth and have no flicker or dim spots. BUT if you leave them switched on, around the 20 second mark they flicker a couple times and shut off with no scrolling effect, like the power has been disconnected. Then they won't turn back on until you wait a bit and hit the switch a couple times, most of the time you have to remove the blade or batteries (disconnect the circuit) and then it will power on/off fine with scrolling. They will stay on a little bit longer when the blade is in the strobe effect mode. So i am thinking something to do with heat in the circuitry.

Here is what i have done to diagnose,
-Replaced the two cr123 lithium batteries with brand new ones.
-Made sure all contact points were clean and scratch free (mentioned on his website not to use scratched batteries)
-Double checked that the positive and negative magnetic battery springs are on correctly and making good contacts.
-Tried both blades in each hilt with the same results.
-Inspected the circuits on each blade to check for any cracked joints/ bad solder on the board.

I don't really want to spend $250 for 2 new blades, so hoping someone here has an answer or maybe knows of a common problem or where to look on the circuits.

thanks!

Offline Mr.Sir

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Park Sabers Phase Blade Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 03:16:47 AM »
Same exact thing with mine.. But mine came new like that. even worse they would also shut off after swinging it. Jeff Just told me to "buy new batteries from him"

Offline t_hac

• Force User
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 04:52:51 PM »
Same exact thing with mine.. But mine came new like that. even worse they would also shut off after swinging it. Jeff Just told me to "buy new batteries from him"

I wonder if these did also... Did he explain why to buy new batteries from him, does he have some special cr123 battery that has different properties? 

It seems to me like the issue is the blade dealing with the power that the batteries are dishing out, something overheats or gets overwhelmed and shuts down, hence staying on longer when in strobe mode and also not staying on as long, after shutting off soon before.

Offline Mr.Sir

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 02:19:13 AM »
yea my saber literally was burning hot after playing with it. took batteries out and got burned..  no.. the batteries he includes are the best for it he says..

Offline ken

• Force User
  • in my experience there is no such thing as luck
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 11:40:07 AM »
im not sure if its possible but why not just wire a li-ion 18650 protected cell battery with a 2.1 mm recharge port , again im not sure if it can be done cause its a sting blade and i dont know the power needed to power i agree that it sound like the batteries are over heating cause they are faulty plus the convenience of a recharge port is pretty sweet
again im new to this but it would be cool if this is possible
http://

Offline t_hac

• Force User
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 05:40:35 PM »
im not sure if its possible but why not just wire a li-ion 18650 protected cell battery with a 2.1 mm recharge port , again im not sure if it can be done cause its a sting blade and i dont know the power needed to power i agree that it sound like the batteries are over heating cause they are faulty plus the convenience of a recharge port is pretty sweet

I would love to do that since the c123 batteries are very expensive to keep replacing, but parks sabers are very detail oriented and leave no room for anything other than what they design them for, a single 18650 is only 3.7V where as the 2 c123's make up 6v which the blade needs to run, and a single 18650 is almost the same size as 2 123's run together. so not possible.

My batteries DONT overheat or run hot at all... sounds like Mr.Sir has another problem causing them to heat up.

Maybe will try to add an inline resistor from the batteries to limit the power travelling to the blade, if its possible to squeeze one in the chassis.

Offline ken

• Force User
  • in my experience there is no such thing as luck
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 10:04:37 AM »

I would love to do that since the c123 batteries are very expensive to keep replacing, but parks sabers are very detail oriented and leave no room for anything other than what they design them for, a single 18650 is only 3.7V where as the 2 c123's make up 6v which the blade needs to run, and a single 18650 is almost the same size as 2 123's run together. so not possible.

My batteries DONT overheat or run hot at all... sounds like Mr.Sir has another problem causing them to heat up.

Maybe will try to add an inline resistor from the batteries to limit the power travelling to the blade, if its possible to squeeze one in the chassis.

ahhh i see that makes sence hope fully you can do the resistor and that will work
Good luck
http://

retrousse