fiduciary

Author Topic: Updated Obi ROTS based off of a MKIII for enaswede  (Read 6483 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline CHEWBACCA

  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • **
  • Posts: 2040
  • Formerly known as MH
Updated Obi ROTS based off of a MKIII for enaswede
« on: March 04, 2015, 07:32:40 AM »
Almost 5 years ago I took a MKIII that Andy had and upgraded it to an ROTS style.  Here is the first version of it...(click on all pics to enlarge them)



I had the pommel re-chromed and the neck copper plated but other than that it was stock.

Some time after that I got my small lathe and we decided to make it even more ROTS style by putting one of the TCSS clamps on it, stripping the gloss finish and putting a semi-gloss powder.  For some reason I do not have a picture of that but it looked almost just like this one I did for Lord Bane except it had a copper stud instead of the brass button head screw (edit: doh I was just looking at the greeblies and didn't even notice it had the graflex clamp as well...oh well you get the point)...



Then after that he send the emitter off and had it chrome plated to match the pommel.


Recently he sent the saber back to me so I could swap the boards out (PC1.x to CF).  Since I have learned a lot since the last time I worked on it and gotten more comfortable with my machines (and upgraded machines) I decided he needed to change the saber up. I was never really happy with the way the emitter sat down on the neck because it made the neck too short for an ROTS. 

Since I was already doing some machining for the Hybrid Obi saber (expect new pics for that this weekend) I decided to machine a new neck piece for his.

I cut the brass neck down, faced it and then I threaded it.  Next I turned down a piece of copper, threaded it and made a place for the tri-cree.  He actually has slightly more blade depth since I removed the piece that was at the bottom of the emitter.

Here are the results (sorry lighting was bad on my desk for photos).  It still has oil residue and water on it (why the emitter looks funny) but they are progress pics and not finished ones.
















« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 07:58:14 AM by CHEWBACCA »


Offline rabbitdragon

  • Experienced Force User
  • ****
  • Posts: 428
Re: Updated Obi ROTS based off of a MKIII for enaswede
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 07:42:58 AM »
looks great

Offline Greebles

  • Formerly known as Codeweasel
  • Master Force User
  • *****
  • Posts: 770
  • “You must unlearn what you have learned.”
Re: Updated Obi ROTS based off of a MKIII for enaswede
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 07:48:53 AM »
I really liked how this turned out. Also the LED setup is an excellent example of working with tight space.

-Denzil

Offline CHEWBACCA

  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • **
  • Posts: 2040
  • Formerly known as MH
Re: Updated Obi ROTS based off of a MKIII for enaswede
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 07:11:09 PM »
Thanks, I am really happy with how it turned out and it makes the saber look so much better with the longer neck.  It will also be way brighter with the LED in the emitter and since he doesn't lose any blade depth (actually gained a little) it is a win win.


Offline Cad-Bayne

  • Formerly known as Bayne-Fett
  • Master Force User
  • *****
  • Posts: 1039
  • "Dead or Alive, you’re worth Credits to me"
Re: Updated Obi ROTS based off of a MKIII for enaswede
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 07:51:32 PM »
Man, Chewie knows how to wow an audience.  Looks fantastic!!!



Offline Sandpeople are people too

  • Once made Darth Vader Chuckle
  • Master Force User
  • *****
  • Posts: 1222
Re: Updated Obi ROTS based off of a MKIII for enaswede
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 08:39:13 PM »
that is how it is done.  strong work!