fiduciary

Author Topic: Slánú, a Revan hilt  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Wolfen

• Master Force User
Slánú, a Revan hilt
« on: December 21, 2012, 07:50:36 PM »
Slánú

SPECS
External:
Custom Machined by F.G. Custom

Internal:
Electronics by General Grevious/LDM
-Crystal Shard v1.0
-TruPurple
-2x 14500 with hidden recharge port

BACKGROUND
A few years ago a friend of mine, Jasher Kain, presented a lightsaber he had recently had made. It was a replica of Revan’s saber. As soon as I saw it I was guilty of breaking the 10th commandment, “Thou shalt not covet.” Revan is one of the coolest characters in Star Wars history and his saber has a great design, clean lines, simple, elegant and deadly. I wanted one of my own and quickly hatched a plot to alleviate Jasher’s suitcase weight next time he came to visit (gotta help him with those baggage fees right?!  ;)). However that plan was axed a few weeks later as another member had commissioned the same saber from the same maker and then had to sell it. I grabbed it immediately and was ecstatically excited. I contacted LDM to see about an install. Then I waited for a CF to become available and waited and waited and waited… Eventually I gave up because my wife and I had adopted 2 kids and I had no money left to spend on sabers. Well the years have rolled by and I found myself with a great bonus from my job this year. Seeing as the soundboard choice has really opened up in that time I decided to go down a different raod with this saber. I once again contacted LDM and he was willing to take on the job. I think it helped that he was finishing up the Rebellion run of KOTOR sabers at the time.

NAME
"You will have gone from being the Sith Lord himself, to the savior of our galaxy."
-Bastila Shan

Slánú is a Gaelic word meaning salvation. Salvation is a major theme with the character of Revan. Revan’s journey in the game Knights of the Old Republic is essentially one of salvation. He turns from his dark side ways to embrace the light side of the Force once more. He is also able to play a part in the salvation of Bastila Shan after her fall to the dark side.

COLOUR
"Only I have been both Jedi and Sith and found clarity in the Force.”
-Revan

Revan has used different blade colours in his existence, red, blue, green and purple. I went with purple as it is my favourite colour of lightsaber. Since Revan has experience with both the dark and light sides of the Force I think purple is the perfect colour for him as it blends the blue of the light and the red of the dark. This hilt has a TruPurple mixed by LDM. It is on the blue side of purple, perfect for a light side user.

HILT
I love this design, clean and elegant with a fancy pommel. The small size of the pommel means that it doesn’t get in the way when spinning.
Here are the pics:

At 0 degrees

At 90 degrees

At 180 degrees

At 270 degrees

Comparison with wiki drawing

There is a recharge port hidden inside the hilt which is accessed by unscrewing and removing the pommel.

You can also see the way the pommel has been secretly vented for sound. This allows the saber to maintain the look of a collector’s item while being functional.

The holes are hidden when the pommel is tightened.

BLADE
Currently using an Ultraedge blade, I prefer the opaque blades to the clear ones. I find that it has a more even distribution of light (pics with and without flash).

LDM also included a free blade plug for those times when I am not attacking my kids with this saber.

RESULT
The one thing I would change is the switch placement. When I bought the hilt it was already drilled for and came with the switch you see now. I would prefer a smaller, less obvious switch placed higher up on the saber. Despite this I love the way it has turned out. I have thought about adding a covertech for carrying purposes but I don’t really want to add anything else that will mess up the sleek design.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 08:20:46 PM by Wolfen »

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"-Ben Franklin

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
Re: Slánú, a Revan hilt
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 10:05:27 PM »
Really nice! I appreciate thoughts re the switch, but, in the meantime, I think it does integrate very well as is  ;)

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
Re: Slánú, a Revan hilt
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 02:05:33 AM »
Very nice review.  I agree on the switch as well.  It is not the look so much as the placement (for comfort's sake).

retrousse