About 7 or 8 months ago, Scorpion approached me about a "special" MKVI build. He wanted some very specific features and I was not so sure that I could, or even wanted to take the project. It is outside of my personal design aesthetic and I have been around long enough and am in enough demand that I don't have to do what I don't want to do. That said, I eventually softened to the idea and took it as a challenge. The challenge was this: make a hybrid EFx-LDM reveal saber. Should be easy right? Yeah...it wasn't. I haven't had a good 50+ hour project lately so why not try to fit this one in right before I have 4000 KotOR installs to do? That said, I was feeling frisky, so I just jumped in. Every component of the chassis is scratch machined by me...yes, even the knurled brass finneal and heatsink/LED module. I wanted the chamber to look like it was actually functional (a design similarity to my Diatium Power Cores) so in this case, I made cathode and anode twin poles. The cathodes with anodized red tips and the anodes with black. I also thought that asymmetry was appropriate in the design, so literally every aspect of the chamber is asymmetrical in it's design. I staunchly resisted a dual crystal set-up in deference to my previous ultimate MKVI, but I did draw a bit on that design as well by adding in some copper accents as well as brass. I chose a dyed green quartz point for the main crystal and a teal cabochon as the faux second crystal. In all, the chamber consists of 32 custom machined parts and 3 full work days of time (about 30 hours) without final assembly.
The next request was for a flat aluminum kill key so that when the saber is off it will resemble an MR LE. This was a bit of an engineering issue for me, but after two separate POC's I finally got it. This part actually took me about 7 hours of development and fabrication time, making it the single most expensive kill key ever made. The final key is machined from aluminum bar and Delrin. It is made of two pieces and surprisingly enough they are held together by hot glue. Epoxy...no go. Super glue...no go. Weird. What I ended up with was a 3mm thick aluminum disk (same OD as the MKVI's pommel) that is bored out (2mm depth) with a delrin plug (1mm thick cap) glued in.
As far as the electronics go, this saber sports a CFv6 and LEDengin 10W RGGB LED. GG blade and yellow FoC. Due to the limited internal real estate in the MKVI (she wasn't designed to hold a chamber after all) he only gets a dual 14500 pack. Short run times to be sure, but this saber is made for display only so not really an issue.
Well, that about covers it. Enjoy.Particulars:
CFv6 with MKVI Compendium
Madcow's Hero and Heirloom
Novastar's Stygian General, Crystal Chamber, Ancient Saber and Phoenix Sword
LEDengin 10W RGGB (GG // main, R FoC for yellow)
TCSS 1.5W speaker
7.4V Li-ion w/recharge/kill in free spin pommel
Copper card Touch Plate Activation
MR LE-style Kill Key
32 piece Crystal Chamber (details above)The BMT (5 minutes long, but is a must see for this saber):
The Glams:Chamber Detail:Kill Key (final version) & FoC: