The MKVI Project
So bye now everyone has seen my newest product, the MKVI. When we set out to create this saber, we wanted to accomplish two things. First, we wanted it to be as accurate to the "Hero
" prop as was reasonably possible and secondly, we wanted it to be "electronics ready".
Here is a picture of the "Hero Prop" from which we took the dimensions for the MKVI:
To be 100% prop accurate (and as is always the debate) we would have had "asymmetrical" ribs. In the end, we decided not to replicate the original prop builder's sloppiness and went with a symmetrical ribbed section. We also decided to make a small concession on the black "cube" switches and went with plungers rather than a "rocker" box. That's about all that is different from the Hero saber.
From the picture above, we decided on the following renders:
At this point, we also decided to go with real copper and aluminum rather than "simulating" the copper parts. It added a lot of cost ot the saber, but I felt that it was completely worth it for my Unicorn!
Production has begun!
Off to the laborious task of powder coating...yuk. A special color was developed for the MKVI. It is a non-trans semigloss black.
And back to the machinist to turn the ribbed sections down...
Once that was finished...back to me for final assembly:
And Voila! My 3 personal babies!!!
Along with comparison shots of common ROTJ's for comparison's sake:
(top to bottom: MHS ROTJ, Old Arc Wave, MKVI, MKIII(Obi of course, lol), MR)
and Nightstorm's MKVI #1:
Even though I did not post every picture, I hope this thread gives some appreciation for how these custom sabers are produced. Stay tuned for ordering info in the next few days.