fiduciary

Author Topic: FelicisPueri - PVC saber  (Read 4724 times)

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
FelicisPueri - PVC saber
« on: September 25, 2010, 10:17:14 AM »
... for my daugther... her b-day is in a month (4) and she wanted a red saber. Will never forget the day when I ask her, showing the starkiller :
"my sweetheart, do you know whose saber is this ?" (understand, "which character")
"yes I know... it's mine !"

FELICIS PUERI(let's see if you can figure out that one)

Why posting a PVC saber in my portfolio ? It's a way to show it's possible to build a custom saber with scrap/off the shelf parts. I confess I used the lathe to grind the inside of the plastic parts to go faster but still, I could have used a file. So everybody (even on a budget) can build something !

I'm going to use off the shelf parts, time to empty the drawers. Not to be cheap but I like recycling and I'm NOT going to offer my daughter a Master Yoda negociator. Let's start with PVC. Every saga has a beginning anyway.

- Joe Jedi parts I saved for that, after I made made my starkiller.
- Sink tube adapter and a TCSS BHxx.
- 28 mm PVC tube as chassis. Some sink tube rings/sleeves as fillers.
- Loads of JBWELD.
- The idea is to have the grip section removable to access the electronics (I "think" I'll have to service this one from times to times).
Single 18650 li-ion cell, Petit Crouton "blind prototype" (no driver) with dark meat, and a buck puck. Seoul P4 red if I can find one in my drawer.

assembly in progress

sith saber she wants, sith saber she will get, but still, I'll add a pair of blue blinkies and a RGB color changing 3mm one. No reason it can't be a girly saber and I know she likes colors !

Saber will be around 30 cm which is long, but I want her to be able to hold it properly, one hand on the bottom/pommel, the other above the activator section, while still NOT touching the aluminium emitter (let's say I'm trying to be a good father).
I'll of course adapt the blade length to her size.

[...] Next day

done !

blurred sorry. The buckpuck is held in place with 2 screws. I used some small aluminium parts as fillers.

Remove the grip section and the PC is there. I moved to a 2x14500 solution since the buckpuck likes at least 5V. The led is a red Lux III

Reused the thumbscrews (floppy plastic) one for the aux switch the other for the slow RGB led (3mm). Since removing the fake screw left a dirty hole in the middle I covered it with a plastic gem for the glams and it looks very nice with the RGB color changing led that is right under.

The 2 accents the PC handles are also there, a red and a white

Not closed yet, in case I need to tweak the SD card. B-day is in one month, I have time. Done. Can move to the next thing on the ToDo list !!

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
Re: FelicisPueri - PVC saber
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 10:36:21 AM »
That's really cool, Erv'....she'll love it!

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 10:48:42 AM »
I hope that my daughter will want a saber when she gets older, looking good there erv, and happy early birthday to your daughter :)

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 10:57:58 AM »
For a second I thought you were gutting a Joe Jedi to put the soundboard in her saber.  I know there would be some great jokes in that one.  :D :D :D :D :D  The King of Soundboards using a joe jedi. ROFL

I'm still surprised with how father's like to spoil their little girls............she's not getting a CFv 6.  ::)

Jokes aside, I'm sure she's gonna love that saber.  It's looking great.

Offline Skottsaber

• Master Force User
  • Calamus Gladio Fortior
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 10:48:39 AM »
Well it is a Petit crouton  ::)

Seriously Erv', that's got to be the best saber owned by a four year old ever  :D
Great job!

My Sabers:

Randomsabers Ravaster
CF Obi TPM
Saberconcepts Ahsoka Variant

Offline cannibal869

• I dub thee Darth..........Lecter.
  • Master Force User
  • NUCLEAR POWERED JEDI at work!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 01:03:53 PM »
ahhhh sweet stuff!!  ;D
I'm sure your daughter will love it! 
"lots of JB weld"... lol...

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 06:19:58 AM »
emitter plug quickly done with a piece of blade and some parts from the junk box. I also hid a plastic scratch with some brass & copper film.
Boxed & packed. Thought that b-day card would be appropriate.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:23:30 AM by erv »

retrousse