fiduciary

Author Topic: MasterKris' custom saber, The Dark Calling  (Read 8712 times)

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
MasterKris' custom saber, The Dark Calling
« on: November 19, 2008, 03:08:05 PM »
A few weeks ago, after releasing my saber, The Calling, shown here: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=14352.0, MasterKris wanted something similar in design, but different in color. From a little MS paint drawing we emailed back and forth, we came up with the Dark Calling.

Housed in a sink tube that was sanded and painted using Krylon primer and paints along with MHS tube adapters, mid-section, pommel and emmitter sits a '05 MR Vader boardwhich powers a LUX3 Green LED. The power source is a 4 AAA battery/speaker combo that fits very tightly inside the tube adapter. I sanded down the sides of the speaker holder and cut 2 grooves in it to pass some solid core wire around the pack and speaker to give MasterKris a "handle" to pull the pack out with.

Here are a few pics of the build log:

original designs and templates

First cuts, sanding and filing

priming and painting, ...I Love the smell of spray paint in the morning!!!!

hardware and hilt pieces

Just checking to make sure all the electronics work.

These ribbed sections make a great place to house the electronics snuggly

Split view, this can no longer be accomplished without un-wiring the switch.

The next few pics and vid are clickable, they are of the finsihed saber, all put together and tested. At 2:30 this morning I was swinging this saber all around my house. It feels great!!

Here are a few pics of The Dark calling with the Mantis,  which is currently for sale here, (The Mantis is for Sale): http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=14626.0

The Video of The Dark Calling:

What is mentioned in the video is a little suprise for MasterKris, on top of the battery pack and wired in with the speakers is a pager motor that vibrates once the saber is on. It is very slight, but adds so much and goes exceptionally well with the dark, low hum of the vader board. It feels alive!!

I really need to Thank MasterKris for allowing me to build his saber, there are so many actual sabersmiths here with great reputations and he took a chance on someone new to the scene and not really even a sabersmith yet, I like to think I am a padawan sabersmith ;D ;D.

Also, without these forums and the tutorials and people like Jay-Gon and Eastern with there build logs or diagrams and Darth Tyranus with his tutorials/advice/instructions posted all over FX, I would not have been able to do any of this. FX-Sabers and it's members offer a wealth of knowledge. thanks a lot guys!!!

And Also thanks to MasterJedye, the Jawa killer, for the hours of help and lending a critical eye to the design.

So MasterKris, I will ship this out the latter part of this week after I test it out some more.
I hope u enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed making it.

Thanks,
Darth_Call
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 04:38:37 PM by darth_call »

Offline Lord Dracus

• Master Force User
  • "The force is mine to command."
Re: MasterKris' custom saber, The Dark Calling
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 03:15:25 PM »
Wow !!! :o Very nice !!! ;D

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 03:16:10 PM »
MasterKris,
Congrats on this new acquistion.  As you know, DC put alot of work in this, not taking any chances on your saber and practicing on his own first.  I've had the privledge of watching this start out as a sink tube and end up as a work of art.  Congrats again.
DC, thanks for the "shout-out"...it's always a pleasure to work with you on saber making.  This is truely a fine peice and a great asset to anyone's collection!

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline Ryus

• Force User
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 03:21:12 PM »
Another beautiful saber, good job!

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 03:26:09 PM »
This should surprise MasterKris, he hasn't seen some of these pictures yet and the video is not the same one he previewed prior to approval. He won't know about the vibration feature until he reads it here first, ..HA

Offline Darth Kaos

• Sith Infiltrator
  • Master Force User
  • Ninjas?!?!...They all learned from ME!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 04:32:12 PM »
Lord Call,

Your saber-making skills are getting better at an alarming rate, my friend!  ;)

Offline MasterKris

• Force User
  • "An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 04:58:12 PM »
dude, so amazing! your my new saber tech when I need help dusty!!!!!

how the heck did you get that pager motor to fit up there???? lol you are truely a saber smith in my eyes. You skipped padawan and went right to master!

I wanna thank Dath Call for all the hard work and dedication he put into my saber. I wanted to build my first one myself, but after seeing his work and craftsmenship done on his calling saber, I knew this guy was good and could make my first custom saber that great. I would recommend anyone looking to build their first saber or looking for anyone to help them along the way, pm this guy and let him help you. I took a chance with him like he said but I dont regret it at all and it turned out to be the best chance I have ever taken with anyone doing something for me.

Again, Dusty you are the man!!!! I can't wait to get this bad boy in the mail and just bask in its greatness!

-Master Kris

"The Dark Calling™ design,name and color is owned by Dusty Callais. The only Dark Calling™ made is owned by Kris Owen" lol

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 05:38:52 PM »
dude, so amazing! your my new saber tech when I need help dusty!!!!!

how the heck did you get that pager motor to fit up there???? lol you are truely a saber smith in my eyes. You skipped padawan and went right to master!

I wanna thank Dath Call for all the hard work and dedication he put into my saber. I wanted to build my first one myself, but after seeing his work and craftsmenship done on his calling saber, I knew this guy was good and could make my first custom saber that great. I would recommend anyone looking to build their first saber or looking for anyone to help them along the way, pm this guy and let him help you. I took a chance with him like he said but I dont regret it at all and it turned out to be the best chance I have ever taken with anyone doing something for me.

Again, Dusty you are the man!!!! I can't wait to get this bad boy in the mail and just bask in its greatness!

-Master Kris

I am glad u like it.

Putting the pager motor in it was easy, ....having to call your saber over the phone to get it vibrate was the hard part.

No seriously, it's a small motor that is glued to the edge of the battery pack. Very small motor, very small wires, careful with that.

This has been a fun build, hope you like it once you have it your possession.

Be sure to post pics of you with it, and let me know what u think about the other surprise once u see it.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 05:49:18 PM by darth_call »

Offline MasterKris

• Force User
  • "An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 05:48:59 PM »
i wonder if i should send you money to over night it hahahahahaha lol (the wife would kill me in my sleep lol) Your saber making profile will sky rocket from here on out buddy!

Ill def. post pics of this once I get it and Ill even show my acceptance expressions, maybe even sheading a tear or two lol jk...my dad is a hardcore star wars fan as well and his birthday is in June so expect another job from me around then. I want your help making the qui gon jinn saber i wanna make for him!!!! Sounds like I get to follow you on another foolish crusade hahaha!!!!!

"The Dark Calling™ design,name and color is owned by Dusty Callais. The only Dark Calling™ made is owned by Kris Owen" lol

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »
i wonder if i should send you money to over night it hahahahahaha lol (the wife would kill me in my sleep lol) Your saber making profile will sky rocket from here on out buddy!

Ill def. post pics of this once I get it and Ill even show my acceptance expressions, maybe even sheading a tear or two lol jk...my dad is a hardcore star wars fan as well and his birthday is in June so expect another job from me around then. I want your help making the qui gon jinn saber i wanna make for him!!!! Sounds like I get to follow you on another foolish crusade hahaha!!!!!

Another foolish crusade it is then!!
 I can't wait.

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 10:39:19 PM »

...my dad is a hardcore star wars fan as well and his birthday is in June so expect another job from me around then. I want your help making the qui gon jinn saber i wanna make for him!!!! Sounds like I get to follow you on another foolish crusade hahaha!!!!!

That'll make a great gift!!

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 08:40:51 PM »
DC...pm sent!   ;D

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline duncan29793

• No Force
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 09:33:27 PM »
wow very impressive.  I am jealous.   :o

Offline Romulus

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 09:48:51 PM »
Looking good, darth.

Offline Senti Xamas

• Master Force User
  • When the light is green, the trap is clean.
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 09:57:01 PM »
The black overlay is simply amazing. I cant believe my eyes!

retrousse