No exactly a SW prop, right ? but I though I'll post it here too, it's been a while since posted it over the RPF but I recently completed a second one (airsoft version this time). So there you go.
I thought I will post a build log of a kit I bought from SD
studios. I recently proposed to provide a new version of a Lawgiver version of my Blaster Core sound board.
It's almost done, that build log is meant to serve as a visual guide for the install of the electronics, for those who will do it themselves.
mine has a few little variants from what SD has proposed for his fully built LG but overall, the principles remain the same. The main difference is that I used a model gun as I wanted a display piece with realistic looking bullets. I know, it's a pain to load and clean but I don't expect to use PFC aside of a couple of demos. Another LG with an airsoft is planned too anyway.
Also, this thread will help (I hope) people to patient a little bit more and see the possibilities of the electronics.
so... I started that project when the kit was first sold, then paused cause I didn't have a place to spray paint... back at work on it again. I finished blaster core v4 3 weeks ago and had the plan to port the LG firmware on it, and things converged pretty fast in the past 2 weeks, after tuning specs with SD studios.
Long tribulations to source a beretta M9 model gun to France, what a mess. I ended up in japan with semi ghost company and couldn't get the shells, then sourced the shells in the UK but now I'm almost sure they are too short. Designed for a M84, juuuust a bit shorter, the new PFC won't bang properly as they don't perforate, so they bang, blow back but no smoke and no sound LOL
[actually leaves some expression possibilities for the BC4]
Recent pics of stuff I did a year ago (already ? really ?)
satin paint job is decent but perfectible
ammo clip in place with foot part
threaded holes for slide attachement
adding the greebly on the reload mechanism. Per discussion with SD, a 2 pin system was a good solution (and JB weld)
Still have to paint the second half of the gun. To protect the silver area, I used Mecanorma tape, old school PCB
design technique to protect what you don't want to etch. Good tack, removable residues (very little) and paint/water proof.
Then maskol (latex paint) to seal thin tape with blue painter's tape and ready to go !
mag release greeblie. Threading both sides and giving a clean shave cut to the knob with the lathe.
4mm M3 set screw is perfect for the job
Lever after 2 coats of silver with the airbrush (I keep practicing) : invisible pins (almost... the camera sees them but I don't)
I finished the paint job on the remain half. As I'm not sure of the paint I used for the 1st one, I took the risk to add one extra coat of satin black to ensure "color" (if I can say so) and mosly gloss level are the same.
right side shell was too thick for my model gun slide. That's the last trimming required to have the kit fitting that very gun (very few mods, really, just dremelling here and there)
installing clear styrene backing so that I have something to glue the leds on later.
Installing some wires, checking length
Speaker install - to be tested but the eye piece could provide a small rear resonant chamber
Hall effect sensor that I'll use for the main trigger and ammo clip detection
Experimenting with dyed resin for the red windows (SD idea). Didn't find the right pigment but that glass stain / paint seems perfect. It's solvent based so it should mix well with the glazing resin
First test is too weak, second one is good but the color pigments have "migrated" in the corners. Still, the shade starts to be nice
To be continued. I should get prototype PCBs for the side leds this week. Leds have been selected and tested individually, so I just need the panels to start the actual and final wiring of my prop, and validate the electronics, then ship a prototype.