fiduciary

Author Topic: Aayla's Luke Skywalker ESB Review  (Read 10128 times)

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
Aayla's Luke Skywalker ESB Review
« on: December 12, 2005, 06:42:43 PM »
One lightsaber I never imagined I'd own was the Luke Skywalker ESB FFX. Why? Well, I already had Anakin's saber, which should have been more or less the same thing. It was newer, so the technology must have been better. Plus, the Luke ESB was no longer available.  I figured that the time to acquire it had expired. In addition, I didn't need another blue lightsaber. I already had all four colors seen in the movies, so I was content with my collection.

THEN...

As I joined this site, I saw that MR had "a limited number" of Luke ESBs that they magically discovered hidden in their warehouse.  ??? As I began doing some research on the Luke ESB, I was intrigued by how loved it was amongst FFX collectors. Everything I read about it was good. So the contemplating began... 'Should, I? Or should I not?' Well, it wasn't long until I was entering my credit card information on MR's site.  :D

The hilt of the Luke ESB is nice. It's a classic design which fortunately is made out of aluminum. It's THICK, yet the feel is great. It's a bit harder for me to hold, but I manage. The recreation of Luke's lightsaber from ESB is remarkably good. :) MR did a great job replicating it. While the hilt is a bit heavy, there are some really cool features to it... like two different points on the emitter that you can peak into to see the blade. It's little things like that which add greatness to this saber.  8) The Graflex-style hilt also feels great... the rubber grips are more comfortable than they are on the Anakin ROTS. I'm not very fond of the on/off switch on this handle, as it's pretty awkward when you want to turn it off after swinging it around. The knob on the opposite side of the hilt turns slightly, but it doesn't seem to serve a purpose. Overall, I really have no complaints about the Luke ESB hilt, as it looks and feels great. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/000_1161.jpg

The blade of the Luke ESB is wonderful. I absolutely love the bright sky blue that this lightsaber features. It looks so much like the color that Luke had while fighting Vader on Bespin. An issue I had with the Luke ESB was the dark spots along the blade. They aren't very noticeable, but upon close inspection they are definitely there. One side of the blade also appears slightly brighter than the other, mainly near the top. The Luke blade is also very wobbly... moreso than even the Anakin ROTS. :-\ I still love it either way, as again, nothing tops that awesome blue color.  ;D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/000_1162.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/000_1168.jpg

The biggest issue for me about the Luke ESB, like many others, is the sound. While the sound isn't bad when you're only using the Luke saber, it gets drowned out if you have any other sabers turned on. The sound seems to be the same sound that was used in the Anakin ROTS, Mace ROTS, and Luke ROTJ. The idle hum, power-up, power-down, and clashes are the same here... just quieter. It seems to be the same sound module used in the Mace ROTS, along with the skip/repeat idle hum that the Mace has. I think that if this saber had sound just as loud as the Anakin ROTS that it would easily be the best saber of them all. ;)

While comparing the hilts of the Luke ESB and Anakin ROTS, I have found that the Luke ESB is quite heavier than the Anakin ROTS, obviously because it is larger and made of aluminum rather than chrome. The rabbit ears on the Luke saber are flared, unlike the Anakin. And of course, the control box is radically different.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/000_1172.jpg

The blades of the Luke and Anakin sabers are also slightly different. The Luke ESB glows a bright sky blue, while the Anakin ROTS shines a bright cobalt blue. Both are great in their own ways, but I have to prefer the lighter blue of the Luke over the Anakin. ;) Both blades are similar in that they both have dark spots in the middle of the blade, though it is dimmer on the Luke saber. Both blades are also more wobbly than any of the other FX sabers... especially the Luke.

In these pictures, the Anakin (right) appears lighter in color than the Luke (left). In reality, the Luke is a bit lighter in color. I'm not sure why the appear this way in these particular images. It may be that the Anakin has a higher powered output in the LEDs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/000_1165.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/000_1166.jpg

All in all, the Luke Skywalker ESB is a real winner. While the sound lacks, the hilt rocks, and the blade is magnificent in color. Overall, I would probably say that the Luke ESB is my favorite FFX lightsaber. ;) If you're a first time buyer of a FFX, however, I'd still recommend the Anakin ROTS, Vader ESB, or Luke ROTJ instead. I see the Luke ESB as more of a collector's item with outdated quality, even when the quality really isn't all that bad.

So that's it for my FFX reviews. I hope you enjoyed them.  :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 08:14:33 PM by Aayla Secura »
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ANH with Removable Blade
Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS with Removable Blade
Darth Maul TPM with Removable Blade
Kit Fisto AOTC with Removable Blade
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
Re: My Luke Skywalker ESB Review
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 07:04:30 PM »
AWESOME!

Another wonderful read with many the same insights that I have had about the saber.
I,like yourself, find those 2 holes in the emitter shroud area to be quite cool.  As you can see the blade shine through it and it makes it seem like a real lightsaber
Initially, I wasn't to fond of the ON/OFF switch either, but then once you get use to it and find out that it is almost impossible to turn off the  saber accidentily you move past it and are able to appreciate it.

I'm am glad that your TESB Luke is now your favorite as many of us have found out.

Now take care of it and polish it often! hee hee

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline Kyle Katarnn

• Formerly know as Kyle Katarn
  • Master Force User
  • The Sarlacc found me somewhat indigestable, Solo.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 07:48:05 PM »
Excellent review Vicky, I'm glad you got the chance to own one of the most precious sabers ever made. Thanks to FX-Sabers we found out information about it and the high demand for the rare at a retail price, saving us extra money to buy another one  ;)

Offline Darth Eunice

• SAVANT TOGRUTA, SAGE OF YORE
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 08:20:57 PM »
nice review!
the pictures are very helpful in seeing the difference. :)
May the Force be with you! :D

Offline psykE

• Formerly known as psykE
  • Master Force User
  • Join the DARK side
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 08:29:18 PM »
GREAT REVEIW!
Sure blows mine away!
Fx Saber Collection:

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 09:38:11 PM »
great review of the Luke ESB Aayla. honestly....your review of the Anakin ROTS is the reason i purchased that one. a little FYI for ya. keep up the good work!!
The Force will be with you....always.

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 09:52:27 PM »
Thanks so much, everyone. :)

Lord Vader... you have a WAY better digital camera. ;)

Darth Knucle, thank you and wow, I'm humbled. I trust that you've enjoyed your Anakin saber. :) Maybe you'll go out and get this one as well. ;) :P
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ANH with Removable Blade
Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS with Removable Blade
Darth Maul TPM with Removable Blade
Kit Fisto AOTC with Removable Blade
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 07:59:48 AM »
i havent recieved it yet, but i cant wait.....i'll give you the heads up when i get it
The Force will be with you....always.

Offline Darthirishman

• Master Force User
  • They used to call me Sifo-Dyas
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 08:02:50 AM »
Excellant review my young padawan, the Luke is a great saber, its a shame that the sounds can be a little disappointing but the hilt and the whitesh blue blade sure brings me back to a simpler time, before the dark time before the Empire.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Then go find the person who has vodka and have a party

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 02:46:10 PM »
It's everything that I expected from Vicky, awesome review again.  ;)

Max

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 03:34:40 PM »
Good review. I need to get another saber lol.

Offline Darthirishman

• Master Force User
  • They used to call me Sifo-Dyas
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 03:41:43 PM »
Max may I recommend the Vader ESB as your next saber, it is probably one the best Fx out there
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Then go find the person who has vodka and have a party

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 03:53:21 PM »
Max may I recommend the Vader ESB as your next saber, it is probably one the best Fx out there

Vader ESB is probably the one saber, that doesn't have any problems to it. All aspects are great. I would also recommend Mace ROTS and Luke ESB...  ;)

Offline Ki-Adi

• Cerean
  • Master Force User
  • Homeplanet; Cerea
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 08:03:48 PM »
There is one problem with the Vader on film and that is the center looks orange, but that really isn't a problem. Myself I can't wait to get my Vader ESB. Nice review Aayla, I love those holes in the emitter. I'm glad you like this saber, it is my favourite also.
"Impossible, the Sith have been extinct for a millennium."- Ki-Adi-Mundi

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 12:04:03 PM »
ok guys

i just want to get on top of this before it goes too far.

i think that these are inappropriate posts and have therefore deleted them

retrousse