fiduciary

Author Topic: Killed my cfx with bad cram-fu (saved)  (Read 1240 times)

Offline pipster79

• Experienced Force User
Killed my cfx with bad cram-fu (saved)
« on: February 21, 2020, 05:27:41 AM »
Well I spent a day setting up my new cfx. Hours on figuring out why I had no main led power until erv told me bout the ledstrip power value needs to be at 0000.
So I entered that value and voila I was good to go, so on went the fun part of craming it into my old parks dark avenger hilt. Anyone familiar with these knows it's very small space. I glued the cfx on the back of a 18650 and crammed it in there, put it all together and fire it up so desperately wanting to hear that smooth swing awesomeness but to my surprise the sound was completely fubared, super super loud and echoing like crazy and can't even make out what it was saying. So I quickly cut power, pull everything out, check every connection and try it out of the saber, alas same thing, I thought maybe the sd got corrupted, pulled the sd put it in my computer and everything looks fine on it.
Put it back in the board and same thing still. So again pull out the card and thought ok I'll format and load the package again and update fw while I'm at it. So I put it back in the board, update firmware, fire it up...and you guessed it, still doing the same thing.
So I'm guessing when I packed it into the hilt something crossed and screwed it up.
Side note the SD card gets hot in it as well as the speaker now as well, and it says something that I can't make out completely when turned on about something being criticle. I so want to cry right now. Being Canadian that cost me 180$ after shipping and tax/duties
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 12:23:13 PM by pipster79 »

Offline pipster79

• Experienced Force User
Re: Killed my cfx with bad cram-fu (saved)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 05:48:55 AM »
It actualy says 2 things are criticle first one it says sound (something) criticle and the second thing it says I can only make out the criticle part. It says both things every time it's activated, tried changing fonts and each time before it starts the activation sound it says those 2 things, it's so distorted and echoed I can't make it all out tho. And yes before anyone asks I've tried multiple speakers a d tested those speakers on other boards as well to make sure they all work.

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The Count formerly known as Sollus Vir
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 05:54:36 AM »
I myself am still learning all the newness about the CFx, but have you tried dropping the sound settings on the sd card?

Pass on what you have learned. Strength. Mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters. ~Master Yoda~

Offline pipster79

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 05:56:01 AM »
Yes I dropped both volumes to 10 even out of 100 and it's still the same

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 06:58:00 AM »
The power level critical tends to be a low battery warning .   :wink:

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 07:05:41 AM »
could be low battery as K2SO said, since the board alert you. Of course, logs would tell you.
I would never glue a board on a battery. Also, it's really weird to me that plug'n pray is still there in 2020 (booting a saber / board for the first time should be done with a bench PSU, not with a 10A discharge battery).

Offline pipster79

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 08:14:52 AM »
I've tried other batteries and same thing. And I bench tested it before installing it. Even did a second test after gluing it to the battery and I glued to the battery because I have very very little space in the hilt both in diameter and length. No room for any kind of chassis or anything. But it was all tested and working right until it was in the hilt. I don't see any logs anywhere on the sd card, and the only sounds I get out of the board now are squeels. Pretty sure it's toast now without the butter

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 08:25:57 AM »
check your voltage map. Bad sound could be +5V booster or regulator dead

Offline pipster79

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 08:59:39 AM »
Did the voltage check everything is as it should be except the +14 point is at 8.5

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 09:02:01 AM »
that's actually correct (8-10V) (manual to be fixed)

Offline pipster79

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 09:24:54 AM »
Ok so guess I'm right and it's toast then, I rechecked every connection and even took everything off except for power and speaker and still same thing

Offline pipster79

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 12:22:45 PM »
So today I thought well I can't make it anyworse and decided to try to reflow the board with my heat gun, it's worked for many ps3 consoles I've repaired so worth a try.
Took sd card out and reflowed both sides of the board, rewired on bench for a test and holy banthr fodder guess what? It lives.
I had thought the wife's hot glue gun may have messed something up when I realized it was a high temp model. I usualy use the dollar store low temp guns but I didn't have one so used hers. Guess that was a bad mistake lol.
Anyway all is good now. Board is alive again and ready to rock out in my obi wan saber

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 11:44:42 PM »
awesome + good job. Hotglue on the board is usually a bad habit. I do use hot glue, but pretty much never on the board, mostly use the (low temp) glue pen from Bosch for sticking wiring in place and route them neatly.
Hack to the rescue, ay-ay, Sir  :police:

Offline pipster79

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 04:32:08 AM »
Well it was a short lived rescue, not sure what happend, had it on the bench ready to go in was showing my wife how I saved it and her oldest son who always has to get into everything and touch everything decided he was going to touch it and bang started smoking. He feels badly enough I won't have to worry bout that happening when I get my next one at least. I don't know if he had a ring on when he decided to grab it and caused an arc or what but it was working perfect till then

retrousse