fiduciary

Author Topic: Obscure tools, tips & tricks of the trade  (Read 31033 times)

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
Obscure tools, tips & tricks of the trade
« on: June 14, 2018, 07:45:33 PM »
Let’s talk about some tools you’ve found helpful that may not be considered or thought of as “traditional” tools used in saber building.

I’ll start...

Rubber stoppers. Very useful in plugging up your pieces when etching. Also useful to rig your pieces up for painting. You can even get ones small enough for screw holes. And before I had my lathe I would use them and a threaded rod to spin pieces on the hand drill for sanding and polishing.

#7 stoppers are perfect for 1.25” ID
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:35:33 PM by Darth Chasm »

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
Re: Obscure tools, tips & tricks of the trade
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 04:22:46 PM »
Loc-tite putty. Awesome for securing things you don’t want to glue in. Great for holding boards and components, just don’t get the heat too close. And a good way to keep small parts from rolling off the bench. Stick a wad to the bench then stick those screws, tubes, nuts and washers to that.

Offline Johannes Huber

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 07:24:52 PM »
The rubber stoppers are a great idea!. Many thanks. I will be running out to get some at Lowe's if I can find them there. On using them with a drill for very simple "lathe-like", is it a mater of friction holding the plug tight (in the MHS or other) piece?

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 08:21:17 PM »
The rubber stoppers are a great idea!. Many thanks. I will be running out to get some at Lowe's if I can find them there. On using them with a drill for very simple "lathe-like", is it a mater of friction holding the plug tight (in the MHS or other) piece?

Get the ones with holes usually used for chemistry. Also get a 10-32 or 1/4-20 threaded rod (can’t recall) Matching nuts and washers. Stick the stoppers in both ends, feed the rod through and tighten it all up with the hardware. Leave enough for the jaws of the drill to grip and spin away. Just be careful of the heat generated. I’d use a foam sanding block rather than just a piece of sandpaper.

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 12:28:06 PM »
This may sound weird but.... a sewing measuring tape, the flexible plastic/cloth-like ones.

I cut off the first inch of one end to remove the metal.  I use this on everything saber related that I make in the shop.  It fits where I need it too and will not scratch the metal parts I am working on.  Comes in extremely handy.  Back in the day, I even used to use this to make "evenly" spaced marks around the circumference of a hilt.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 12:29:48 PM by ARKM »

Offline Greenie

• Force User
  • Pew pew!!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 01:13:24 PM »
This may sound weird but.... a sewing measuring tape, the flexible plastic/cloth-like ones.

I cut off the first inch of one end to remove the metal.  I use this on everything saber related that I make in the shop.  It fits where I need it too and will not scratch the metal parts I am working on.  Comes in extremely handy.  Back in the day, I even used to use this to make "evenly" spaced marks around the circumference of a hilt.

Sometimes the most obvious things elude me. Thanks for this one ARKM

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 02:13:50 PM »

Sometimes the most obvious things elude me. Thanks for this one ARKM

You're welcome.  I hope it helps.

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 02:44:46 PM »

Good stuff!

I have a flexible ruler but never touch it. This seems so much better.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 05:07:02 PM »
Since I use almost exclusively hand tools..

Nibbler - takes small "nibbles" out of material up to about 1/16 thick.  Some materials and angles will be harder than others but if you aren't able to use power tools it will get the job done.  Also good for squaring round holes before fine tuning with files.

pipe reamer - deburs both the inside and outside of the a tube.  Useful when using a pipe cutter to cut your tubing, can also be used for a slight chamfer. (pro tip, run it backwards for softer materials)

Step bits - Not really obscure, but I think a lot of new builders aren't aware of them

1/2" PVC pipe - enough to stick inside a 1" thin blade tube.  This will make it possible to quickly and easily cut down your blades with a pipe cutter.

3D printed jigs - use your 3d printer to make useful tools as well as parts!

Offline Seth Skywalker

• Padawan Learner
  • That lightsaber... is mine!
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 06:59:59 PM »
Step drills are what I used for the switch hole in my lightsaber. It worked out pretty nice considering that I used a regular drill for it, not a drill press.

Offline Darkmatter73

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 01:18:56 PM »
Here's my offering =)

Darkmatter73
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 03:44:07 PM by Darkmatter73 »

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 02:20:33 PM »
PS: I still don't know how to get the video to thumbnail here
Code: [Select]
[youtube][/youtube]

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 02:34:25 PM »
Here's my offering =)

https://youtu.be/5syl39jFgew

Darkmatter73
PS: I still don't know how to get the video to thumbnail here

NICE!

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 11:23:25 PM »
Here's my offering =)

Darkmatter73

That is a truly BRILLIANT contribution with SO many different applications in MHS building...have you posted this to TCSS forums? This is worthy of a 'sticky' there imo.

Thank you and BRAVO!
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Darkmatter73

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 10:17:01 AM »
Hey thanks. No I never have posted that anywhere. I have lots of uses for that setup too.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 10:20:05 AM by Darkmatter73 »

retrousse