fiduciary

Author Topic: The official LDM/MH GK3 run thread ***RUN COMPLETED***  (Read 97059 times)

Offline Lazi-D

• Padawan Learner
  • diagnosis, acute saberphilia...
Re: The official LDM/MH GK3 run thread ***RUN COMPLETED***
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2015, 04:53:52 PM »
Anakin, thanks for the tip

Chewbacca, like to change to white FoC as well

Thanks!

Offline Vercify

• Master Force User
  • rawr
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2015, 07:58:11 PM »
@ ANAKIN SKYWALKER

Thanks man for the info thats awesome much appreciated!  Sorry if this is dumb question but by choosing a white FoC for this saber, would it be a pure white color FoC or a purplish white FoC?

It will be pure white. The LED is the CREE XP-E2 BBx, so if you wanted white FoC your LED would be a 9W BBW, 6W of blue for your main blade and 3W of pure white for FoC.

Offline Watto

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2015, 08:42:42 PM »
@  Vercify, thanks for the clarification.   :)

@ CHEWBACCA, may I also change my FoC color to white, thank you.

Offline DARTH MAUL

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • At last we shall have our revenge....
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2015, 08:59:21 PM »
You can change me to white as well.

Offline ctech88

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2015, 09:35:09 PM »
/waves hand

me too please!

white FoC
New here. not new to forums. but please be gentle. ;)

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2015, 02:43:40 AM »
Yes and no to what Vercify said.  Yes it can be solid white like it can be solid amber but like Anakin was saying is that if you do it that way the transition is not realistic.

The more natural look is to have the FoC on top of the solid blade color (like the original FoC) instead of changing to a solid color. 

Offline Modern-Day Warrior

• Force User
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2015, 09:47:48 AM »
Guess I'll hop on the wagon and change to a White FoC.  :D

Offline Foe Hammer

• Force User
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2015, 06:58:52 AM »
Hi all, new to the forum here.  I signed up when I saw this beauty.  I'm very interested in getting in on this run but have a couple questions first.  Sorry if they are silly but I am not all that familiar with what the 'norm' is for runs like this.  Seeing as how this will utilize real copper and brass, will there be a protective coating on those parts to prevent tarnishing?  Also will the black anodized parts have a glossy finish like the MR LE or will they be flat black?  Thanks!

Offline MACE WINDU

• Formerly known as Nightstorm
  • Master Force User
  • Do you have a problem with purple?
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2015, 09:32:09 AM »
Well yea, a White FoC sounds like the better mixed option.  I would like that too please.

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2015, 09:35:39 AM »
Hi all, new to the forum here.  I signed up when I saw this beauty.  I'm very interested in getting in on this run but have a couple questions first.  Sorry if they are silly but I am not all that familiar with what the 'norm' is for runs like this.  Seeing as how this will utilize real copper and brass, will there be a protective coating on those parts to prevent tarnishing?  Also will the black anodized parts have a glossy finish like the MR LE or will they be flat black?  Thanks!

To the best of my knowledge, no sort of protection on the brass or copper parts, and gloss anodizing. 

Polishing a saber is very easy, and I'm overdue to post a polishing tutorial.  I'll do that between now and when the run is completed.  I'm in the process of allowing a Legacy saber to tarnish up before polishing it so I can use that as my tutorial. 

Offline Foe Hammer

• Force User
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2015, 11:23:03 AM »
Also wondering - are the shiny renders the final version or are the non-shiny ones final?  I ask because there is a slight difference where the brass stem meets the grenade top.  The shiny renders appear more accurate to the MR LE in that there is no brass circle on top of the grenade, just the stem itself.  Thanks!

Thanks also to Anakin for your reply.  I look forward to your tutorial!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:24:38 AM by Foe Hammer »

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2015, 11:21:35 PM »
Also wondering - are the shiny renders the final version or are the non-shiny ones final?  I ask because there is a slight difference where the brass stem meets the grenade top.  The shiny renders appear more accurate to the MR LE in that there is no brass circle on top of the grenade, just the stem itself.  Thanks!

Thanks also to Anakin for your reply.  I look forward to your tutorial!

This will be as accurate as is humanly possible.  Alex is correct on the colors/finishes.

Offline Foe Hammer

• Force User
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2015, 06:14:18 AM »
Thanks for the info.  One last thing - am I correct in assuming the silver and black parts are all aluminum and the only brass/copper parts are the stem and windvane?  I wasn't 100% sure from reading the description.  Thanks!

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2015, 07:33:48 AM »
Everything that is not "seen" brass and copper is aluminum.

The original render with the brass ring was if we had the LED in the grenade section.  I felt that wasn't enough light so we moved it to the emitter.  This allows us to do a couple of things.  one is to anodize the parts.  Originally in order to get rid of that ring they were to be put on and powder coated to eliminate it (it would have never been seen).  Now the neck will screw straight into the grenade section without the flange since it is not needed.  I hope that makes sense.

The sabers will not be as glossy as the MR saber.  The anodizing will be gloss anodizing but that is not a super shiny black like the paint/powder on the MR.  Again I made the mistake of mentioning the MRLE as the model but I didn't mean the finish.

There will be no protective coating on them.  I have played with trying to protect brass and copper parts before.  Really the only good way is to use powder but when you do that the heat from the oven changes the color of the brass and copper.  It is not difficult to polish the parts though.  I would rather have real copper and brass than painted even if you do have to polish it a little.  A good polish will protect it from tarnishing some as well.  Alsa (I think that is right...I may be misspelling it) makes a product you can supposedly use on chrome and such that sticks but it is expensive and I have no first hand knowledge of it.

Offline Foe Hammer

• Force User
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2015, 07:50:37 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to provide more info Chewbacca!  It makes perfect sense.  Deposit sent, white FoC please!

Please put me on the list of people who might be interested in chrome anodizing depending on what cost it would add.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:27:30 AM by Foe Hammer »

retrousse