fiduciary

Author Topic: Balance of Power (SJ/SF CA bay area)  (Read 6418 times)

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • NCSCS - Sabercombat.com
    • DIAMOND DRAGONS: Humans stand, heroes fall--but DRAGONS are *Forever*...
Balance of Power (SJ/SF CA bay area)
« on: February 07, 2008, 08:19:22 PM »
Hi all.  Novastar here.  BOP III is still looking for performers, so... there's that... but...

The main reason for this post is to start putting together a list of folks in the San Jose/San Francisco bay area that are interested in working on the following goals regarding LED saber combat:

1.  Meet consistently with other LED saber enthusiasts.
2.  Create small "teams" or pairs within the group.
3.  Using whatever combat system you and your partner(s) best prefer... create a choreography piece.
4.  Enhance it, add detail, work on it--for at least a few months at one day a week... maybe 2 if you wish.
5.  Receive critique/suggestions from other members.
6.  Have it filmed as a one shot, non-stop, from A to Z combat piece.
7.  Post it on a collective YouTube account managed by Novastar (or a member willing to do the work).
8.  Rinse and repeat.  ;)

Naturally, the following would be requirements to join up:

1.  You have your OWN *LIGHTABLE* saber... whether LED, EL, Hyperblade, FX, sound or no sound.... you have one to use!
2.  You have SOME semblance of athletic ability, understand control & safety when doing "mock" or staged combat.
3.  You agree that whomever you partner with (whether 1 or 2 people) for a duel... you will do your best to "sync up" blades.  What the bloody 'ell does THAT mean?  If they are using a thick-walled blade... YOU use a comparable blade... or vice-versa.  :)  For both safety, and the preservation of one's saber... :)

These are optional, but probably a REALLY good idea to "consider requirements":

1.  You have some kind of costume/persona/character that can be used.  Maybe more than one!  Doesn't have to be "uber-canon SW".
2.  You have adopted some type of staged combat system, know it fairly well, and understand some staged combat basics.  If not--you are glad to learn them.
3.  You are open to OTHER people's ways of doing staged combat, and agree to work with any partner to "get in sync" with them when you start to put together choreography.
4.  You have a video camera that either a tripod or a "helper" can capture some of your stuff.  If you do not--Novastar can help on this aspect.  :)

Well, that's about it.  If this ever gets off the ground, I think it would be cool to then hold a CONTEST with our choreography pieces (much like the rotoscoper folks do sometimes... called the LCC I believe)... and have 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes!  Granted, rules and regulations would have to be setup, but... I won't do that unless/until the project gets off the ground.

Alright.  We'll see what happens with this thread.  My guess is... there really are not enough dedicated people who can actually follow through (and have the interest and abilities) in the SJ/SF bay area to do this.  Maybe 6 or so... but not like 50.  But...

....I hope to be proven wrong... :)
* Former creator and owner of SaberCombat
* CUSTOM SOUND FONT LIST --->
Click here for Nova's 100+ custom sound fonts!
* PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS ---> Click here for Nova's saber performance work...
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline DevilGuy

• Padawan Learner
Re: Balance of Power (SJ/SF CA bay area)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 12:47:26 PM »
I'm up for this, granted I need to get in better shape, but I'm at least at a point where prolonged physical activity is not a problem. I'm also interested in developing a combat system similar to fencing or kendo not simply for performance but to create something more akin to a competitive sport.

just throwing my thoughts out there, I'll get in touch.

Offline MasterScott831

• Formerly known as Darthlacess831
  • Force User
  • Grand Master of the Santa Cruz Jedi Academy
    • Santa Cruz Jedi Academy
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 04:59:43 AM »
Hey Novastar! Yeah, I've seen your work and I think it's truely amazing. Especially episode 1 (I left a comment on youtube, I'm also redclark831, btw). Yeah I totally agree with you about finding enough people who are interested. I'm in Santa Cruz (the next county or two over) and I also find it hard to find truely dedicated actors for my fan films. I star in them as well, so I have a costume, an MR lightsaber, and most importantly, I know how to mock. Unfortunately, I'm unemployed, so finding a job is my main goal right now. But once I get that out of the way, I would be more than happy to participate in the group. If it was up to me, I would just say "yes, I'm in". But Barbara (my girlfriend) would have my head on a pike if I made this my primary focus right now. I also teach her in lightsaber combat during my spare time. So she knows just about as much as I do (we even practice drills in perfect sync). So, if you would like to know more about me and/or Barbara, just drop me a line. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 05:16:35 AM by DarthLacess831 »
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes" is a statement that deals in absolutes.

Visit our saber group's homepage! The link is on my profile under website. :)

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 09:30:43 PM »
Thanks Darth... I really appreciate you taking the time to post and let me know what you do too!  I'm sure we can find a way to work together in some fashion or another.  And yeah... being unemployed is no fun.  It's one of the main reasons I chose to work for myself long ago... anyhow... we can chat more--feel free to e-mail me anytime.

Some other news... UNFORTUNATE news, but that is life:

Regarding BOP III, the remainder of my main actors have given up, sooooo....

...BOP III is permanently "on the shelf" until further notice. I will *not* be putting it together in the future unless I finally have:

* a full cast
* written agreements stating that the actors won't flake like a bunch of impotent, wishy-washy weakling wimps
* venues to perform at
* if possible, helpful monetary backing (VERY doubtful)

I doubt any of the above will be able to occur here in the SJ/SF bay area... but... that is what it will take. People to commit, show dedication, and perseverance. I've worked waaaaay too hard on these projects for people to sabotage it.

And that... is the problem with doing any project of import... it requires MANY human beings, and I have to rely on them.

Everybody wants the big-time... they just don't wanna work for it.
-------------------------------------------------

BUT... that doesn't mean people who are interested can't get together and do some dueling in the SJ bay area.  All depends on who wants to do it, can be available, and who has the dedication to come consistently for a few months.  Nothing of any import is ever achieved---without due and diligent time invested.
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline GRAND MOFF TARKIN

• formerly pianoman/Admiral Piett
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Fear will keep them in line...
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 05:28:33 AM »
That flat out sucks Nova!

Offline MasterScott831

• Force User
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 08:00:06 PM »
Thanks Darth... I really appreciate you taking the time to post and let me know what you do too!  I'm sure we can find a way to work together in some fashion or another.  And yeah... being unemployed is no fun.  It's one of the main reasons I chose to work for myself long ago... anyhow... we can chat more--feel free to e-mail me anytime.

Some other news... UNFORTUNATE news, but that is life:

Regarding BOP III, the remainder of my main actors have given up, sooooo....

...BOP III is permanently "on the shelf" until further notice. I will *not* be putting it together in the future unless I finally have:

* a full cast
* written agreements stating that the actors won't flake like a bunch of impotent, wishy-washy weakling wimps
* venues to perform at
* if possible, helpful monetary backing (VERY doubtful)

I doubt any of the above will be able to occur here in the SJ/SF bay area... but... that is what it will take. People to commit, show dedication, and perseverance. I've worked waaaaay too hard on these projects for people to sabotage it.

And that... is the problem with doing any project of import... it requires MANY human beings, and I have to rely on them.

Everybody wants the big-time... they just don't wanna work for it.
-------------------------------------------------

BUT... that doesn't mean people who are interested can't get together and do some dueling in the SJ bay area.  All depends on who wants to do it, can be available, and who has the dedication to come consistently for a few months.  Nothing of any import is ever achieved---without due and diligent time invested.

Man, I'm sorry about BOP III. I was looking forward to it. I know how it is when ppl flake on these kinds of things. Believe me, I hate it just as much as you do. But seriously, Nova, If any changes come up with either possible saber sessions or BOPIII, you let me know. Send me e-mail and keep in contact. BTW, consider me a new friend. It's a pleasure to speak with you, Nova. Just hang tight. Together, We can make this happen someday. After all, us jedi got to stick together.

Offline Bin Adam

• Master Force User
  • Muslim Knights: Fighting the Terror Within
    • For Those Who Reflect
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 10:28:18 PM »
Peace be upon all,

I just wanted to drop in and say how much I personally enjoyed BOPI & !! -so much so that I produced a nice little DVD containing the 2 films with interactive menus, bonus footage, easter eggs and all! Then I gathered my kids in the bedroom, turned up the volume and hit play! We all loved it and one of my daughters even dropped a tear -yes a tear during a particular scene of BOP!!  :'(

I made a few copies and gave them to Brother Novastar as a fan-gift. I have also enjoyed meeting with him at his home and swinging some lightsabers together in the parking lot in front of Planet Fitness one night -surely the funnest workout I've had so far ;)

He is a funny, intense, hyper, energetic, passionate, talented, dedicated, creative and kind-hearted person who surely loves the saber arts!

My personal advice to him personally and publicly is to make a practical, systematic,  user-friendly, authentic -yet fun FX Saber Basic Combat Tutorial  DVD to compliment the wonderful Saber Spinning DVDs and videos that are out there.
This is something I hope to help shoot personally since I want to be the first to benefit from such much-needed training by a qualified person!!  ;)

I wish him the best because the best is what he wants  8)

sorry for being long but I just wanted to say what was on my heart,
- Aaron, aka Bin Adam
The battle outside, starts inside.
"Don't desire to meet your enemy, but if you do be steadfast."

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 11:36:24 AM »
Thanks Bin... :)  As always, I am in your debt, and you have a grandious amount of my gratitude!

And... yes... actually, the staged combat footage I've shot thus far is pretty decent.  Although recently--as poor luck would have it--I somehow copied OVER the project files that I had just finished, lol.  In other words, after cutting the footage all together... putting in all the text boxes, helpers, information, effects, musics, etc. ... I freakin' messed up and erased over the project with a different one!  Stupid mistake.

Anyhow... I'll re-compile it, and there WILL be a staged combat video soon... only a matter of time now.  :)

Click here.

Offline hullbreach

• Master Force User
  • Too dangerous to be kept alive
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 12:22:13 PM »
Meh, all the cool stuff is going on up in No. Cal. I couldn't participate ongoing being an LA res but I'd love to come up some time for a couple days and shoot some choreographed footage of you guys doing your thing (film school grad ;D). In fact, there are a few scenes from BOP that are crying out to be re-shot beyond the proscenium. Lots of tracking shots, fast cuts, swish pans ;D And I've always wanted to do a Star Wars/Kung Fu mash-up piece, which I think your troop would be really perfect for.

Offline hullbreach

• Master Force User
  • Too dangerous to be kept alive
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 12:27:12 PM »
In fact the more I'm thinking about this, the more jazzed I'm getting. PM coming your way Novastar.

Offline MasterScott831

• Force User
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 06:48:45 PM »
Meh, all the cool stuff is going on up in No. Cal. I couldn't participate ongoing being an LA res but I'd love to come up some time for a couple days and shoot some choreographed footage of you guys doing your thing (film school grad ;D). In fact, there are a few scenes from BOP that are crying out to be re-shot beyond the proscenium. Lots of tracking shots, fast cuts, swish pans ;D And I've always wanted to do a Star Wars/Kung Fu mash-up piece, which I think your troop would be really perfect for.

You're an LA res. Have you ever considered LA Jedi? If you haven't heard of them, look it up and check out their site.

www.lajedi.com

Offline TallyHawk

• Force User
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 09:04:38 AM »
Hello,

I just moved to San Francisco and I wanted to know if you are still looking for people.

Offline Darth Xusia

• Master Force User
  • "quit cher whinin' and just build some sabers"
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 09:11:56 AM »
The last post before you resurrected this thread was from over 2 years ago.
I would advise checking the dates of the last post before posting.
Thank you Photobucket for the best Sig ever!

Offline Lord Bane

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • LB CUSTOM SABERS
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 02:52:23 PM »
I would love that since I'm from San Jose.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 03:03:38 PM »
Zombies ???.

Locked!

Novastar PM me if you ever want this unlocked.

Facebook: VVFB

retrousse