fiduciary

Author Topic: Accelerometer and sensitivity question  (Read 712 times)

Offline lexonium

• Padawan Learner
Accelerometer and sensitivity question
« on: March 03, 2013, 12:09:42 PM »
I have been reading topic on different boards and my labor has not yielded any significant result.
I have a CF6 saber and my friend (who owns several Obsidian-powered sabers) is surprised by the spot-on sensitivity of the board. He is not ready to buy a CF saber yet, but he wants that sensor tech. Was I right to advice him that all Plecter boards (CS, NB, PC 2.0+) have the accelerometer and thus are tremendously sensitive?

Offline hedgehog1

• Simply Red, standing by
  • Force User
  • Never going to grow up.
Re: Accelerometer and sensitivity question
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 01:36:35 PM »
Motion and collision sensing are done with a mix of good quality sensors, and then the algorithm that process the data.

The CF6's made in the last two batches now use the same sensor as found on the NB. Erv found it to be as good (and sometimes better) then the old sensor on the CF.  They NB style sensor is also more readily available (and common parts are good for him, too).

So sensor wise, the PC and CF and NB are all very high quality.

What I don't know is if the algorithm processing the sensor data is the same and all three boards.  I expect they are very close (and for managing micro-code, being the same makes life easier for Erv to program them).

In any case, motion sensing is going to be better then on the obsidian.  The obsidian is nice (I have one!) but I wanted better, too.  I have a CF6.1 waiting for me to install it on a new saber.   It is the new style unit with the NB sensor.

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
Re: Accelerometer and sensitivity question
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 05:17:07 AM »
taken as a compliment (so, thank you  :) )

yes the sensor & algorithms are very close / similar on all my boards. The algorithm has evolved since 2005 and now the motion recognition time is about 8 ms which is 8 to 35 times faster than the other boards I've measured  :-X

retrousse