fiduciary

Author Topic: First Custom Lightsaber Build Log  (Read 4227 times)

Offline zharrhen

• No Force
First Custom Lightsaber Build Log
« on: August 03, 2018, 01:52:23 PM »
Hello! This is going to be my first ever attempt at building a lightsaber so I'm probably going to do a lot of things wrong, but that's all part of the learning experience right?

The plan is to use MHS parts from the custom saber shop, 3d printed alumide parts, and a replica MPP clamp to create a lightsaber heavily inspired by the classic graflex and vader sabers while feeling more practical to actually hold and use. I also intend to use an electronics kit from outer rim sabers because I'm not comfortable enough with my soldering skills to work with my own electronics. Pictures are worth a thousand words so here's the quick 3D render I made so I could get a feel for how it would all come together.

Despite the shiny appearance of the render, I plan on weathering it so that it looks like its been dragged halfway across the outer rim and back. I havent fully decided on how I'm going to do the weathering yet, but I've been lurking around the forums for a while and I've seen mentions of using ferric chloride to etch patterns into sabers and I figure if it can be used for that then it can be used to etch away the entire top layer of aluminum and leave the saber with a rough finish. I still have to figure out something different for the 3D printed grips though since they are not aluminum

Is this a bit ambitious for a first project? yeah, probably. I'm fairly confident that I can do this after going through several hours of tutorials and instructional videos but if there's any tips or tricks anyone would like to share, especially with the weathering, I'd love the advice.

Offline zharrhen

• No Force
Re: First Custom Lightsaber Build Log
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 08:51:37 AM »
Update 1

The MHS parts arrived yesterday and theres something so satisfying about laying them all out like this:

I got a little ahead of myself and painted the blade holder before thinking about how the acid weathering technique I was considering would interact with spray paint so I'll probably strip that off later. I do plan on testing the acid on spray painted scrap aluminum and maybe it will produce a nice effect who knows? I also weathered the stainless steel screws by soaking them in vinegar overnight and it produced a very nice effect. They had the same metallic shade as the aluminum parts when i got them, 10 hours of soaking in vinegar later and they darkened a little and theres a very subtle texture that doesnt show up very well on camera but adds a nice layer of detail in person. (pommel for comparison):

They still thread very well, theres a bit of trouble but they only need to be put on once and I dont plan on it coming apart around the grip area so I'm not too concerned about that.

Finally, here's the parts that I have so far all together, looking very nice so far and despite my giant hands It feels very nice to hold and the box doesnt get in the way.

The acid is coming tomorrow and the 3D printed parts are coming sometime in the next 3 days so my current plan is to test the acid on some scrap pieces until i can get the effect im looking for, then apply it to the MHS pieces, and then drill and tap the holes for the 3D printed grips because I don't want the acid to mess with the threading. Then finally I'll have to figure out a way to weather the 3D grips since they aren't aluminum and I have no way of knowing how the acid will interact with alumide or if thats even safe to do.

Offline zharrhen

• No Force
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 05:43:46 PM »
Update 2

The soundboard from outer rim sabers arrived today. I put it in and did a test to see how well it worked and I'm a little disappointed. It feels like its just barely a step above the toys we all had as kids. It detects every 3/4 swings and the led that came with it is not very bright. I'm hoping that it will work better after I charge it but if it doesnt work I'm thinking about eating the cost of this soundboard and going for a nano biscotte like I probably should have done in the first place.

Offline Seth Skywalker

• Padawan Learner
  • That lightsaber... is mine!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 05:54:19 PM »
How expensive was the sound card? You got a link to the product?

Offline zharrhen

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 07:06:04 PM »
How expensive was the sound card? You got a link to the product?

about $100 but its an entire electronics kit with the battery and led and all that so I don't feel too bad about spending that much. I will have to eat that $100 cost if i want to get something better though cause I'm not sure anything other than the LED and switch will even work with a better board.

Tier3 Lightsaber Electronics kit (Green LED) with Chassis | eBay
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 09:47:59 PM by zharrhen »

Offline zharrhen

• No Force
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 06:26:11 PM »
Update 3:

The acid arrived and I did the first pass of weathering. I'll let this picture speak for itself:

This is the result of using some sandpaper, some ferric chloride, and banging it against a rock to add some scratches and dings followed by rubbing some mothers mag and aluminum polish over it to give it a hint of some shininess. I plan on using a lacquer stick to add some grime to the metal and to add some texture to the black pieces since the acid did nothing to the paint.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 06:28:12 PM by zharrhen »

Offline Seth Skywalker

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 07:46:04 PM »
Nice progress! The simple style of the saber makes it look so awesome! Nice weathering too, I look forward to seeing it finished.

Offline zharrhen

• No Force
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 07:56:18 PM »
Update 4

minor update, definitely going to use a nano biscotte. I only have the money for one lightsaber so I want it to be as high quality as I can make it. That was the whole reason I opted to build my own in the first place instead of buying a cheapie from one of the big companies. Unfortunately I now have a $100 electronics kit that I do not want and will probably only be able to get $30 reselling it but I'm trying to look at it as an expensive lesson to not cheap out and that makes me feel a little better about it.

Offline zharrhen

• No Force
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 09:50:20 PM »
Update 5

the 3d prints arrived and its finally looking like a true jedi weapon. Gonna paint them black and do the final weathering pass tomorrow .....Then twiddle my thumbs for the rest of the week waiting for my nano biscotte.....

Offline Jediseth

• Force User
  • Jediseth sound fonts available at saberfont.com
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 10:01:50 AM »
Update 5

the 3d prints arrived and its finally looking like a true jedi weapon. Gonna paint them black and do the final weathering pass tomorrow .....Then twiddle my thumbs for the rest of the week waiting for my nano biscotte.....

The grips look cool! It’s looking real nice. Are they plastic or metal? I was trying to do something similar awhile back but I couldn’t find the right size material. How wide and thick are those?

Offline Seth Skywalker

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 10:36:05 AM »
Wow these grips look awesome! It look so like it could be a prequel saber.

Update 5

The grips look cool! It’s looking real nice. Are they plastic or metal? I was trying to do something similar awhile back but I couldn’t find the right size material. How wide and thick are those?
I think he mentioned that they're 3D printed.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:45:59 AM by Seth Skywalker »

Offline zharrhen

• No Force
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 10:44:00 AM »

Thanks! They are made out of alumide which is a combination of nylon and aluminum so its both plastic and metal. It has a rough texture and its very lightweight but its also very hard to bend thanks to the aluminum. I like the texture it actually feels like something made for gripping and I feel like the paint will hide the fact that its mostly plastic. They're 4.37" long, 0.5" wide, and 0.18" deep with a 0.05" wall thickness and holes sized for 8-32 screws.

And yes I did make them in CAD and I used i.materialise to 3D print them because it was the best way to get exactly what I wanted at a low cost

Offline zharrhen

• No Force
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 05:34:05 PM »
Update 6

Final painting and weathering is complete. I made the grips black and then I did a final weathering pass using a black lacquer stick. Then I topped it off with a gloss clear coat on the bare metal pieces and a semi-gloss clear coat on the black parts. The bubble card broke during the weathering so I'm going to replace it with a slothfurnace ROTS card

Offline Seth Skywalker

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 11:39:41 AM »
zharrhen , I have a question about that pommel insert. How well does it hook onto a d-ring belt clip? Does it stick out at an awkward angle when hooked on your belt? It looks pretty cool but I've read mixed reviews.

:wink: BTW, those black weathered grips look really nice.

Offline zharrhen

• No Force
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 02:33:54 PM »
zharrhen , I have a question about that pommel insert. How well does it hook onto a d-ring belt clip? Does it stick out at an awkward angle when hooked on your belt? It looks pretty cool but I've read mixed reviews.

Hangs just fine for me. Theres just enough room for it to work well with the 1.45" parts. I can see it not working nicely with wider pommels though. I did have some trouble dealing with getting it on and off of the belt clip until I added a small piece of tape to the D ring so it doesnt move as easily

:wink: BTW, those black weathered grips look really nice.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa thanks!

retrousse