fiduciary

Author Topic: RGB Color Settings Guide  (Read 23628 times)

Offline Ziathon

• No Force
  • Truly wonderful the mind of a child is. - Yoda
Re: RGB Color Settings Guide
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 07:25:45 AM »
The color settings are important, but have you had a play with any of the other settings? There are plenty of cool customisations to make - for example setting the flicker and pulse effects (as I remember VV set up one of the banks to have a slight pulse by default that you can play with to get just about any pulse effect you like). I tend to tone down the FoC effect and duration a bit from the defaults. And also I prefer my sabers a bit more sensitive than most people default them to. If you're like me you will also spend quite some time honing down to the perfect six sound fonts for that particular saber (just remember to re-format the SD card each time you change any sound files). I'm sure you're all over these settings, but just in case - happy to help with suggestions if you want.

I am not looking at the card right now, but I did see many other settings to toy with.  I was curious as to what they were.  I will have to start toying with those and get back to you, thanks for the offer to answer questions :).

As for the sound fonts, I have added two extra fonts to the standard 3, The Force Awakens - The Dark Side and Rogue.  When I have added them, I made a copy of the SD card onto my computer, added the fonts, changed a couple of things around in the dark side font (the startup file mainly) and then I copied the two new 'bank' files onto the SD card.  Should I instead make a copy of the SD onto my computer, make my changes, add my fonts, reformat the SD and then drop on the new files fresh?  Thanks.

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
  • Star Wars collector in the UK.
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2016, 10:13:44 AM »
I am not looking at the card right now, but I did see many other settings to toy with.  I was curious as to what they were.  I will have to start toying with those and get back to you, thanks for the offer to answer questions :).

As for the sound fonts, I have added two extra fonts to the standard 3, The Force Awakens - The Dark Side and Rogue.  When I have added them, I made a copy of the SD card onto my computer, added the fonts, changed a couple of things around in the dark side font (the startup file mainly) and then I copied the two new 'bank' files onto the SD card.  Should I instead make a copy of the SD onto my computer, make my changes, add my fonts, reformat the SD and then drop on the new files fresh?  Thanks.

Those two additional fonts are two of the best ever - great choices. For going all out sith I'd suggest adding in Pitch Black by Lord Blako into that last slot  :grin: I recently posted some notes on my favourite sound fonts here in case it's useful: Favourite sound fonts

As you just added the additional directories to a clean copy of banks 1-3 you will probably be fine (rather than if you made any changes to the files in-situ on the SD card, or changed the banks around for example). If you check the Plecter Crystal Shard manual you will notice that it mentions always re-formatting when making changes to the sound files or directory structure. Editing the config files in place is fine though. If you don't reformat before sound changes then the saber can get glitchy, or occasionally reset. On several occasions I have fixed peoples sabers from various symptoms like that in moments by copying the SD card contents, re-formatting the card, and copying the files back - always worth a go if you have any weird problems.

I use SDFormatter - the official SD card Association formatter - there are Mac and Windows versions. I found that quick formatting on my Mac occasionally seemed to cause problems - SDFormatter quick format has always worked flawlessly for me.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 10:16:46 AM by MikeyX »

Offline Ziathon

• No Force
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2016, 10:26:04 AM »

Those two additional fonts are two of the best ever - great choices. For going all out sith I'd suggest adding in Pitch Black by Lord Blako into that last slot  :grin: I recently posted some notes on my favourite sound fonts here in case it's useful: Favourite sound fonts

I actually used that topic to find the Rogue font and a few others I want, honestly  :azn:.  That was a great overview of the fonts BTW. 

Offline Choos

• Padawan Learner
  • Yep new
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 06:11:39 PM »
Thanks Ziathon, first time I have ever seen any value in an RGB setup!

Any idea on mixing a bronze colour?

Offline Ziathon

• No Force
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 09:19:19 AM »
Thanks Ziathon, first time I have ever seen any value in an RGB setup!

Any idea on mixing a bronze colour?

I think you could hover around the R: 500-600, G: 1023, B: 0 marks for a good yellow-bronze color.  It seemed to me like adding blue at the 200 range to the mix distorted the color toward white/pink.  Granted, I have not mixed small amounts of blue in yet.  But I can give it a shot. 

Hope that helps.

Offline Choos

• Padawan Learner
  • Yep new
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2016, 06:47:16 PM »
bronze

I think you could hover around the R: 500-600, G: 1023, B: 0 marks for a good yellow-bronze color.  It seemed to me like adding blue at the 200 range to the mix distorted the color toward white/pink.  Granted, I have not mixed small amounts of blue in yet.  But I can give it a shot. 

Hope that helps.

Love to see your results if you can do that and yep everything helps though it will probably be some months before my first VV arrives since I just purchased it... From your post I couldn't help myself but to order a RBG setup!

Offline bruno1067

• Padawan Learner
  • Size matters not
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 02:50:43 PM »
Hey, what happened with the pictures?? I knew I should've saved this thread as PDF...  :sad:

Offline 04eblue

• Force User
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2016, 07:54:50 AM »
Hey, what happened with the pictures?? I knew I should've saved this thread as PDF...  :sad:

Photobucket was having issues yesterday so all pics that were hosted on there were down. The pics on the first pages are back up 

Offline Shadow Cloud

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 05:30:56 AM »
Is 1023: 1023: 1023 suppose to be the best settings for a pure white? Somehow the white color clashing doesn't look quite as nice as my regular royal blue Graflex.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 07:14:16 AM »
Shadow Cloud in theory but not in practice.  I find you have to play around with it a lot to get pure white on an RGB.  This is because each and every LED die is slightly different and when you have 3 there is margin for error.  Also some colors are naturally brighter to the eye than others.  1023,1023,1023 has NEVER worked for me :cheesy:.

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Shadow Cloud

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2016, 12:50:19 PM »
Hmm alright thanks. Guess I'll have to play around the settings.

Offline VikingRS

• No Force
  • Sith Brony
Base settings?
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2016, 06:50:16 PM »
Nevermind :P

I figured out what I was wondering.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 07:26:13 PM by VikingRS »

Offline Ziathon

• No Force
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2020, 12:40:45 PM »
Just wanted to post that I changed the images from photobucket to imgur.  I came back to do some adjustments to my saber (it has been a while) because I had not saved the pictures to my local computer. 

retrousse