fiduciary

Author Topic: StarrFire - My Second MHS Build  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Solan Starr

• Experienced Force User
StarrFire - My Second MHS Build
« on: March 03, 2011, 01:44:12 AM »
Hello Saberland,  I hope today finds everyone well!

I'd like to share my second MHS saber with you all.  I know I never posted my first MHS, but it's more like a test bed and jumping off point.  No sound (yet), no paint, no anything really as I gutted it the other day and am bouncing between remaking it and other projects.  Anywho, back to the good stuff  ;D

I contacted Tim at TCSS with a request and a picture demonstrating just how horrible my MSPaint-fu really is. ;)
I wanted to have custom flutes cut in a 5 inch Double Female, so that the activation box and Covertec clip wouldn't extend over a flute.  It may not bother some people, but it looks tacky to me to have a flute extend under an activation box. ::)  (If you were a real Jedi and making your own saber, you wouldn't do that.)  Then I had him use the activation box as a reference point (held at the six o'clock position) and had him put the Covertec clip and Blade Retention screw at the twelve o'clock position.  Then I had a custom request for the Powder Coat to leave the groove on the ribbed/choke combo bare metal so that the transitions/steps wouldn't go unnoticed.  Speaking of the powder coat, it's in Warlock Gray and it's fantastic.  It has a texture to it that's somewhat gritty, but not uncomfortable.  It reminds me of the look of graphite, nowhere near as dark, just the way graphite appears textured.  Did somebody say meat and potatoes?

***Specs***

*MR Darth Maul Soundboard*
*Blue P4*
*Blue Ring Momentary AV Switch - Illuminates when kill key is removed*
*LV Pololu Momentary to Latching Board*
*Red Accent LED - Keyed to the Blade*
*Recharge Port with Single TrustFire 18650*
*TCSS Premium Speaker*

StarrFire

And a VIDEO

My cat, Batman, decided he needed to be in the pictures. ;) I swear he loves lightsabers more than I do.  As soon as I turn one on, you can hear him coming down the stairs from the loft to the main floor, then down the stairs to the basement.  It sounds like the world is coming to an end. :D He wants a few minutes of me petting him with the blade and then he flips onto his back and it's time to fight. ::)

Thanks for looking everyone!

Offline Rafalema

• Master Force User
  • Dancin' with da polar bears
Re: StarrFire - My Second MHS Build
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 02:20:08 AM »
Nice work on the saber, I really like the lower grips.   ;)

And your cat has an AWESOME name!!  ;D ;D My cat just tries to bite and lick the blade if I bring it close to him... Otherwise he just stares, pokes, stares some more and goes eat some food. Cats ftw!  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 03:09:30 AM by Rafalema »
Through Passion, I gain Strength
The Assassin - MHS Custom, CFv5.6

Offline Oisse

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 02:37:08 AM »
All my cats are scared of sabers, I turn it on and they go running. Exept one of them, he loves sabers, he loves to be pet by them, and loves to play with them! Anyhow man, sweet saber!!!
Custom sabers that I own:

89sabers Qui-Gon nbv4 GGW
KR/OR Luke V2 CFX/Pixel

Offline Jin Ke

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 06:43:40 AM »
Nice saber...  I love the finish...    ;D

Offline Arkhan

• Experienced Force User
    • IMPERIAL ROYAL ARMS:   RK Customs
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 09:13:34 AM »
reversed Powercoating on the Flutes
custom flute quantity
custom flute lengths to avoid CT/box mounting

A man after my own heart.

AK-47s and Lightsabers, both so fun to build

Offline Solan Starr

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 09:23:13 AM »
Thanks Everyone.  Tim did a wonderful job bringing my "dream" to life.  I knew he did good work by reading what other people wrote, but I still had some trepidation when placing the order; wondering if he would "get" what it was I wanted.  The doubt was completely unfounded, I assure you.  He is top-notch all the way.  The flutes look fantastic and everything lines up the way I hoped it would.  I still can't get over the powder coat.  I absolutely love the texture and color.   

This was actually the second time I wired the saber up.

The first time I did it:
I pulled the kill key - the AV lit up (smile)
I pressed the switch - saber came on *BEWESSSSSSSSH*(smile)
The accent LED did not come on (huh! Wonder what I messed up in the wiring there?)
Swinging it around *WOM WOM PHRUM WOM*
Batman showed up and an epic lightsaber battle ensued *KEWSH KEWSH WOM WOM KEWSH PHRUM WOM KEWSH*
Once he was laying there looking content, I pushed the switch.....*WESSSSSSH*
I thought, "Maybe the pololu makes it like an UltraSound and you have to hold it for 2.5 seconds?"
Press and hold for 2.5 seconds....*WESSSSSSH* (huh!)
Press and hold for 10 seconds.....*WESSSSSSH* (uh-oh!)
Insert kill key

So, I gutted it, went back to reading, found the power down problem and revised my wiring for the accent LED.  And then......
I pulled the kill key - the AV lit up (smile)
I pressed the switch - saber came on *BEWESSSSSSSSH*(smile)
The accent LED came on (THAT'S RIGHT! 8))
Swinging it around *WOM WOM PHRUM WOM*
Batman showed up and another epic lightsaber battle ensued *KEWSH KEWSH WOM WOM KEWSH PHRUM WOM KEWSH*
Once he was laying there looking content, I pushed the switch.........*WESSSSSSSSHEIT* (:o MAN I'M GOOD! 8))

As far as Batman, we got him when we moved into the new house (6 Y/O Log Cabin sitting on 14.6 acres) almost a year and a half ago.  He wasn't fully weaned, but the family that had him needed to get rid of him, and the little boy called him Batman.  We decided to keep the name as the little boy really didn't want to get rid of him and seemed to like that we would still call him Batman.  He's a Siberian and supposedly, they're great for people with cat allergies as they don't have the enzyme in their saliva that people react to; and it takes them 5 years to reach full growth.

reversed Powercoating on the Flutes
custom flute quantity
custom flute lengths to avoid CT/box mounting

A man after my own heart.

:D  Thank you sir.  I was halfway tempted to put black paint in the flutes, but upon seeing the finished parts, knew I would never do that.  Now I'm thinking about polishing the bare metal parts (flutes, ribs, groove and tip of blade holder) to a mirror shine. 

Offline KI-ADI-MUNDI

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • "TRUST THE PROCESS"
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 09:34:03 AM »
That is a very nice build...  8)

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act"

Offline Solan Starr

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 10:29:15 AM »
That is a very nice build...  8)

Thank you sir.  I would have loved to use your RCS with it.  I look forward to them coming out and the reveal of the other things you have planned.  I'm may need one for my third saber that I'm putting together now.  8)

Offline okiwan

• Buzz Killington award!
  • Master Force User
  • do or do not. there is no try.
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 10:42:23 AM »
i never really thought of what i could use that emitter for. but it works very well with your build. i like it allot.
/sarcasm

Offline Kalizon

• Force User
  • The sword and the mind are One
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 11:16:44 AM »
 A well done saber.   The texture on the coating looks like it was designed to be rugged.
A Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Offline naigon

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Naigon's Electronic Creations
    • SaberIgniter.com
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 01:26:44 PM »
Great job, I really like the texture and emitter. Haven't seen this blade holder used like that before, it looks cool.
Naigon
Igniter developer/creater - my site is in my profile!
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=29490.0

Offline GreyJedi

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 01:40:58 PM »
Got a kind of Mundi-vibe going on there. I like it. And the metallic grips, they look great, are they comfortable to hold?

Now, post a vid with you dueling your kitty! LOL

Offline Solan Starr

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 02:13:37 PM »
Got a kind of Mundi-vibe going on there. I like it. And the metallic grips, they look great, are they comfortable to hold?

Now, post a vid with you dueling your kitty! LOL

Thanks.  The PC feels fantastic.  I hate to equate it to sandpaper because that implies it is rough, which it's not.  It has "grip" and lets you know you've got something.  It's not uncomfortable, even when spinning and the PC'd choke is rubbing your hand.  I would better equate it to the type of stippling you find on the grips of handguns.  Nothing major, just good grip.

As for the video of dueling the cat, hehe, the first one I did had the lightsaber battle with him, but I got distracted/forgot what I was trying to say, sidetracked into playing with him, quit talking and what followed was a long, awkward space of video of me beating up my cat  :D  It was too long for me to upload.

Offline vulcan fox

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 03:02:27 PM »
very nice,solid and functional looking saber, understated but an obvious quality build ... well done.

Offline Darth Midian

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 04:14:07 PM »
Dude! that looks awesome, Great job.  I love the way that board sounds in your saber.  I have a Maul board that I'm going to put in my first MHS build.  I'm really looking forward to finishing that, & after hearing how awesome yours sounds I really can't wait. 

retrousse