fiduciary

Author Topic: MKVI CF upgrade for sithslayer1  (Read 7657 times)

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
MKVI CF upgrade for sithslayer1
« on: February 08, 2012, 04:27:57 PM »
Sithslayer1 contacted me about upgrading his MKVI saber to a CF.  I was doing some other work for him so I fit this saber in and got it done for him.

Specs.

awesome OM/LDM MKVI hilt
CF 5.10
2x18500 batteries
LEDengine RGGB GG in parallel running at 2A and RB in series for FoC (tm).
2W speaker
boots by Darknavel
fonts by Madcow and Novastar

I only took one pic of the internals (but I have a video of the rest of it).

I may take more pics tonight before I ship it back.

The speaker mount is a piece of 1" PVC that I machined down to fit the internal of the saber, then I machined the inside to fit the speaker and finally milled a slot for the wires.  All of this can be done with a dremel but since I have some machines I might as well use them.

click for a larger image.  This is the board on the batteries all wired up and ready to be stuck in the hilt and the switch and LED wires soldered.  I use a few layers of foam tape at the top of the batteries to give it some space from the LED (it gets hot).  I did this on a couple of other MKVIs and has worked great.

Here is the video.

&feature=youtu.be

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
Re: MKVI CF upgrade for sithslayer1
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 04:43:37 PM »
It won't look pretty if done by dremel, but sure it is possible.  looks good.  I didn't do my pack straight like that looks like it is (may not be, can't tell), so that might be where I lost some space.  anything holding the stuff in place in the ribbed section? 

Looks great at any rate.  Definitely am gonna redo my mkvi since I know I can do better now and I'll make my pack into a stick pack and see how it goes.  The biggest pain is fishing the wires through after you attach the main body to the ribs and need to solder to the control box.   :D

And is that an SMD resistor I see on the power xtender?  Very nice.   8)

Offline C-3P0

• Formerly known as Dave316
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 05:13:33 PM »
More MKVI awesomeness :D great work MH! Would love to see those other pics.

Offline sithslayer1

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 06:18:33 PM »
Thanks again MH! Amazing work as usual! I am really glad you made that baffle for the new 2 watt speaker and could make that work so well! Wat and GG did an amazing job creating this wonderful Luke Hero ROTJ and from day one, I loved this saber! My only regret was not having a CF and FoC in her. MH had just recently finished upgrading my Hasbro Obi TPM to a CF and my MR Vader with a new speaker, so I was fortunate to have contacted him while his build log allowed him time to get to these quickly. Once again, awesome work, great attention to details and great communication! Michael took an already  amazing  saber and elevated her with the greatest soundboard on the planet! Dark Navel also supplied me awesome ROTJ themed bootups to complete her transformation!

A big shoutout to MH, GG, Wat, Dark Navel, Irv, Novastar and Madcow!

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 06:23:13 PM »
Such a SWEET weapon all around. Congrats, sithslayer1!

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 07:24:04 PM »
It won't look pretty if done by dremel, but sure it is possible.  looks good.  I didn't do my pack straight like that looks like it is (may not be, can't tell), so that might be where I lost some space.  anything holding the stuff in place in the ribbed section? 

Looks great at any rate.  Definitely am gonna redo my mkvi since I know I can do better now and I'll make my pack into a stick pack and see how it goes.  The biggest pain is fishing the wires through after you attach the main body to the ribs and need to solder to the control box.   :D

And is that an SMD resistor I see on the power xtender?  Very nice.   8)

Well it may not look as good but the functionality is what counts.

My pack is not straight.  It has the exact step down that the ribbed section to main body has.  I calculate everything perfectly so that the batteries sit flush with the metal body on both sections.  I find that the tabbed batteries are the best to do that because you can solder the tabs together and its nice and solid while heatshrinking.

My set up is a slip straight in design.  I build it out of the saber like you see it, screw the saber together, solder the wires for the LED and switches onto the board and then slide it all in.  I then fish the wires to the top plate and attach it all there at that point.  This is horrible for any maintenance but that generally isn't an issue.

Its all held in with pressure (protective tube around battery and CF that fits perfectly).  It doesn't move or rattle in there.

yeah its an SMD resistor.  I cut the trace of the PEx (tm) and solder an SMD resistor on it.  I believe Jango started that but cant remember (so I am sorry if its someone else).

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 07:43:05 PM »
One piece plastic protector? 

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 07:56:31 PM »

You know the polycarb florescent light protector.  I am pretty sure we have discussed it before.

Offline jetsaber

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 08:09:58 PM »
I love the set up MH : Its similar to my Quinlan Vos design . Except I had to set aside my crystal chamber for a future use . Awesome work MH.

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 09:01:41 PM »
Great job bro!   ;D

now I don't have to do it...yaaaaaayyyyy!!!!

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 11:55:17 PM »

You know the polycarb florescent light protector.  I am pretty sure we have discussed it before.

I don't recall discussing this with you, but that is what i used on mine. 

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 05:02:38 AM »

I don't recall discussing this with you, but that is what i used on mine. 

Well perhaps I didn't tell you but just thought I did.  I know several people have pmed me and a couple of others what we use and I could have sworn you were one of them.  I cant keep up with all the people that ask me questions.

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 05:38:01 AM »
I do ask you a lot of questions, no doubt about it.   :D. Anyway, this is a sick mkvi.  The 18500s are amazing.  They havebsuch good battery life.  It's gokd to see a few more mkvi's with them. 

Offline sithslayer1

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 11:48:47 AM »
Hi guys. I just got her back from MH and all I can say is WOWWW! The video really does not do justice to how loud and clear this MK6 is now. MUCH louder and crisper than before and the 2 watt speaker actually vibrates, you would think there was a vibration motor installed. It actually now feels like a powerful, vibrating weapon! The 10 watt Led Engin is also a really much nicer, brighter shade of green than the P4 that was previously in it. Don't get me wrong, it was already a fine saber, as those of you who own the MK6 Hero know, but I was always just alittle dissapointed by the sound quality. I like my sabers Loud and it just did'nt thrill me. Also, the P4 Green while nice, was not producing as bright of a blade as I had hoped. Now she's a true Unicorn in my collection, beautifully crafted by GG/Wat and thanks to MH's great work, she's as loud and bright as I could want!

Thanks again Michael!

Offline SgtBatten

• Master Force User
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie
    • Hardcore Online Gaming
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 11:58:40 AM »
Where may I ask is the second battery?
Sarge

Please Note that I will generally be AFK from now on.
I'll remain in contact with people i have current dealings with to the best of my ability.

Sign me up for the Maul Please

retrousse