fiduciary

Author Topic: Slothfurnace's Luke V2 Epic Reveal - CFLS - Russrep Conversion - W.I.P.  (Read 47229 times)

Offline Timo

• Experienced Force User
Stoked to see this!  Seeing this next to the Obi ANH and Luke ROTJ will be breathtaking, not gonna lie.   :o
"Bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness."

Offline Ratven

• Padawan Learner
I hadn't seen this before... beyond impressed. Can't wait to see the final product.

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
I thought blindness IS the point, Brad? Who needs eyes when it's so bright you can tell where it is just by its ambient heat output?  :P

P.S. IWANTTHATSABERNOWNOWNOW

I am honored ;)

A bit more info about string blade construction:

3/8" clear heat shrink will serve to restore the structural integrity of the blade string.  It also helps diffuse light, and it helps to be able to strengthen the string, for insertion into the foam diffuser.

Did you make your string straight as possible? Cut off any sharp edges or errant leads? If so, this will be easier than impossible.  If not, good luck.  Pushing what amounts to a sharp edged chain of 6 delicate segments into a flat garden hose will not be easy, but it's possible.

I have created a set of random tools to help with this, but your solution may be different. 

I almost forgot: TEST YOUR STRING at this point. If while inserting the string into the heat shrink you broke a connection, it would be better to know now at this point than later when it is all shrunk down. 

Once the heatshrink is on, and shrunk, you'll have a nice, slick knobby plastic array that will fit into the MR/Hasbro foam diffuser.   I've tried to do this without the heatshrink, and it can be next to impossible.  Especially with seriallel, since segments are not soldered to each other, and only "float" with wire connections between them.

And here are the complete components of a Slothstring blade. 

A: High Output LED String, wired Seriallel, wrapped in 3/8 clear heat shrink tubing.
B: MR/Hasbro Foam Diffuser
C: TCSS Plastic Diffuser
D: TCSS Thin Wall 1 inch OD Blade

Stoked to see this!  Seeing this next to the Obi ANH and Luke ROTJ will be breathtaking, not gonna lie.   :o

Like this?

Or this?  The camera is wigging out at this point, My eyes can tell that the Luke V2 is way brighter than the Obi, but... it's just not evident in the photo.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:41:54 PM by slothfurnace »

Offline Corbin_Das

• Force User
  • Keeper of the Killer Penny
Hey Brad.

Just so you know, the Killer Penny is officially jealous now.  It's not going to stop bugging me until it has something like that. LOL

Corbin

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
OK Brad, you just made the Killer Penny jealous.

Saber enlightenment. Population: You.

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
hey sloth, can I ask where you got the leds for this?  I ordered some 60000 MCD leds from a website that were 8mm leds, but upon receiving them, it is clear that they are actually 10mm leds.  I don't really want to keep guessing around so I figured I'd ask you.  the highest MCD I can find in a 5mm led is 15000 so far. 

Your tutorials are most helpful in construction of the led string.  I'd never have been able to do it without some of your pointers and helpful tips, so thanks for taking the time to make the tutorial. 

EDIT: Finally after hours of searching online, I found some 34000 mcd 5mm green leds, so I'm pretty well set now.  I was just about to give up the search after posting here when I found them. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 06:04:11 PM by Alex Gordon »

Offline Cad-Bayne

• Formerly known as Bayne-Fett
  • Master Force User
  • "Dead or Alive, you’re worth Credits to me"
I'm just going to say this and I know I'm going to get slapped with wet noodles, here goes... Has anyone tried to justify having a V2 in a blue blade like in the movie poster... I've thought about this so many times but I always surrender to the Green.  I'm only bringing this up here cuz of the awesomeness of Sloth's V2

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
I'm just going to say this and I know I'm going to get slapped with wet noodles, here goes... Has anyone tried to justify having a V2 in a blue blade like in the movie poster... I've thought about this so many times but I always surrender to the Green.  I'm only bringing this up here cuz of the awesomeness of Sloth's V2

I have in the past.  ;)

Offline Darth AXA

• Force User
  • Preheat oven to 450° BAKE Anakin for 50 minutes .
It's not fair . Sloth your too much of a genius . Stop putting us all to shame. Amazing job brother
Sith rule , Jedi drool.

Offline LordBlako

• Master Force User
  • I'm just the Font Maker!
hey sloth, can I ask where you got the leds for this?  I ordered some 60000 MCD leds from a website that were 8mm leds, but upon receiving them, it is clear that they are actually 10mm leds.  I don't really want to keep guessing around so I figured I'd ask you.  the highest MCD I can find in a 5mm led is 15000 so far. 

Your tutorials are most helpful in construction of the led string.  I'd never have been able to do it without some of your pointers and helpful tips, so thanks for taking the time to make the tutorial. 

EDIT: Finally after hours of searching online, I found some 34000 mcd 5mm green leds, so I'm pretty well set now.  I was just about to give up the search after posting here when I found them.

alex, those leds might be interesting for you (maybe for a later build). those 5mm leds are rated with 43300 mcd at 20mA...

http://www.leds.de/en/Ordinary-LEDs/LEDs-5mm/Colored-LEDs/Nichia-5mm-LED-green-43300mcd-15-NSPG500DS.html

Offline vulcan fox

• Master Force User
simply amazing work, the evolution of your crystal chambers is great to see and ive learned and been inspired so much from your posts .... although someones already said it , thanks for sharing these true works of art. :)

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
lordblako, guess what.  no us shipping from that led company.  I was gonna order enough for a blade just for the heck of it, but I can't get them shipped to me.  good find for anyone in europe though

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
Little update:

Due to the crazy heat we've been having in TX, and the fact that I don't have a good fan, let alone any kind of Air Conditioning in my garage, I've stalled on this saber till it cools off a bit.

Gonna get cranked back up soon, it's just the normal "OMG it's hot in the garage" hiatus I take every year.

This one and Bespoke will get more or less mostly done by end of year.

- Your friendly neighborhood slothfurnace

Offline Cad-Bayne

• Formerly known as Bayne-Fett
  • Master Force User
  • "Dead or Alive, you’re worth Credits to me"
Hey, I'm in San Antonio, Texas myself... Good to have another Texas Boy around here.

Offline Romad

• No Force
Re: Slothfurnace's Luke V2 Epic Reveal - CFLS - Russrep Conversion - W.I.P.
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2013, 04:31:35 PM »
That is one sexy saber.

retrousse