fiduciary

Author Topic: Darth Maul Force FX Lightsaber - Full Double Box Version Review IMAGE INTENSIVE  (Read 10175 times)

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
Hello all

today i am one happy man,  my double maul arrived and exceeded my expectations.

i have decided to do a review, i hope you like it.  click on the pics for larger versions....

The saber arrived in a box bigger than your usual force fx lightsabers, once opened i was greeted with a really nice new box design.   i was really impressed with the look of the box.

it even has a bit of a prop story on one side

once i had cut the seals and opened the box up i found the two sabers and two force FX stands, to my surpise they recommend the use of only one of these stands for display the double.  as i will be displaying it as two separate halves thats fine for me.

once i had got one half of it unwrapped the first thing that struck me was just how small a diameter this thing has,  it is a lot thinner than i was expecting.   i immediately looked at the now famous endcap to check out the split crystal,  i was not disappointed.

this is a really nice thing to see, the crystal and the two burned wires.

here is a view on the inside of the endcap.

the battery holder

turning my attention to the actual hilt, i was very impressed with the detailing.   here i have tried to capture the nice LED

the emitter area is also really good, these pictures dont do it justice

so how does the blade look ignited.

well IMO pretty good in full daylight.   there are visible blotches but the overall quality of the piece stops me worrying about this right away.   in the dark its a little bit less noticable but the blade is very bright

The coupler to join the two halves together is a great piece, in order to get the buttons to lign up MR had to enable this piece to be adjustable, it does a very good job IMO

Here is a look at the double ignited in medium room light, twilight outside

and finally a comparison with my vader ESB

here are my thoughts on the saber.

Hilt.

Best FX design yet, really well machined, beautiful to look at and hold.  nice diameter is much closer to the prop than some previous FX's.  i think this feels more like a real saber than any of the other FX'x i have owned/own.

Blade

Very red, some blotching, but really vivid,  i am yet to see it in complete darkness, but i know i wont be disappointed.

Sound

hhhmmmmmm   most of the regular members and the mods here will know my feelings on this issue.  i was very put off when i heard that the maul fx was to have the vader sounds.   honestly now i cant believe it bothered me that much, i have already stopped thinking about it.   the sounds are very crisp and the motion sensors perfect, perhaps this is because its so big, you cant move it as quickly in the house (i am yet to try outside).  with the coupler on as a double uint the sounds are altered slightly but not muffled to my ears.  the sound of the idle hum is menaciing like the vader ESB/ANH.

Overall i would give this saber a 9/10.    one point shy of perfect because of the recycled sound and the slightly blotchy blade.              this has surpassed the anakin ROTS as my fave saber already (mear hours of getting it)  the quality of build and look of the hilt are amazing.   master replicas have really excelled themselves with this saber,  they will be hard pushed to top this FX. 

considering i prefer Jedi sabers to sith, i must say how amazed at this saber i really am,  i cannot recommend it enough, if you are on the cusp of investing,  stop hesitating and go for it.  IMO  as a single saber it does not hold up against the anakin ROTS but doubled up as it is supposed to be, this is awesome.  it is a testament to Obi Wans skill with a saber that he beat the wielder of this incredible lightsaber.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 01:37:28 PM by Han Solo »

Offline DarthArn

• Master Force User
  • They'll do their job. I guarantee that...
COOL! ;D The double looks awsome. I have the double ani and its cool, and i really like how if you swing the double, there is like not 1 spot when there isnt a swing sound playing.

- Custom Saber Shop Luxeon
-UltraFX Luxeon

Offline Jaden Korr

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
Im glad to see you finally got home to your new saber Han, i know you were very anxious at work today. I still have to wait till tomorrow afternoon  :( oh well thanks for the pics now i really cant wait i am very excited that looks like an awesome saber

Offline todd4566

• Force User
  • I'm thinking.
Nice pics.  I am also very pleased with the Maul.  The slim hilt feels fantastic in the hand, and it's nice to know the blade should take more of a beating than the previous versions.  I also prefer jedi sabers over sith, so the Maul isn't my favorite.. but I do like the Maul more than both of the Vader FX's I've owned. 

Unfortunately, I doubt the new Obi-Wan will have the same thick blade or AAA powered battery pack.   :-[

My collection:
2002 Anakin AOTC
2003 Vader ANH  **Sold**
2004 Luke ESB  **Sold**
2005 Anakin ROTS **Sold**
2005 Vader ESB **Sold**
2005 Luke ROTJ **Sold**
2006 Maul TPM
Custom 5w Luxeon (Green/Royal Blue)
2006 Obi-Wan ROTS  **Sold**
2007 Yoda
2007 Luke ANH
2008 Obi-Wan TPM
2010 Anakin ROTS (Removeable Blade)

Offline jack3auer

• Master Force User
it really is awesome saesee, i am so happy with it i cant tell you.  i just had both halves and the vader ESB on, the hum was fantastic.  the blades not very different in appearanceTBH.
  i am continuing fixing my new sabers to my wall above the PC.  one day when the desk is clear of my wifes paperwork etc i will upload a pic of the  display.

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
Wonderful review, Han!  8)

As cool as this saber is, I will pass on it. I am completely happy with my Vader ESB.

But I am glad that you are a happy owner nonetheless.  :)

Unfortunately, I doubt the new Obi-Wan will have the same thick blade or AAA powered battery pack.   :-[

I hear that it too will have a thicker blade, though I don't know about what batteries it will take.  ???
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 01:43:27 PM by Joclad Danva »

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline jack3auer

• Master Force User
thanks for the comments guys and gal.  i really appreciate it

i know what you mean about being happy with the vader ESB joclad,   but seriously this is in a different league.  i have never been this happy with an FX.  i have surpised myself, i nearly passed on this one myself, but am so glad i didn't.

as for the Obiwan ROTS i dont mind if it has AA batts, since thats what i am used to i guess.   i have decided i need it now though becuase i have more sith blades than jedi and that cant be.

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
I understand. I may get it later, but right now, it's the last saber I am thinking of...and there is no telling how I will feel about any saber ever again when my Hyperdyne kit comes in and I install it.

If it turns out to be what I think it will, I will NEVER, EVER be able to look at another FX the same way again, so I must hold off on any other FX's till I see what Hyperdyne has done in person.  ;)

-Joclad

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
Excellent review, Han. :)

Reading it and looking at your pics makes me want to whip out my double Maul and take it to the streets.   ;)
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ANH with Removable Blade
Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS with Removable Blade
Darth Maul TPM with Removable Blade
Kit Fisto AOTC with Removable Blade
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline Ki-Adi

• Cerean
  • Master Force User
  • Homeplanet; Cerea
Nice review Han! I want to get one of these myself but as I have told you on MSN haha I am strapped for cash.
"Impossible, the Sith have been extinct for a millennium."- Ki-Adi-Mundi

Offline Hang Tuah Kenobi

• Experienced Force User
  • play nice with me
Congrats!
Nice review, simple yet informative, and the close up pics r cool, i never saw the crystal endcap the other way around.

I need to do more freelance jobs to buy these.. but now im waiting for the new Obi-Wan, im sure it has the new electronics n blade like the mauls.

Offline Shadowlynx

• Master Force User
  • Darkness has Fallen
That is one sweet review. Well once I get a double bladed darth maul I'll have to convert it since I saw in your pics how bad the bloches are. I'm also am gonna try to get two corbin drivers and try to install them in the hilts. Or I can just order one convert either way. Can't wait to see the Obi Wan reviews soon.  :)

Offline trexy

• General of the Old Republic
  • Master Force User
  • At last we will have revenge!
One of the best reviews ive seen , really like it, Congrats Han Solo , this really made me want to buy the maul!

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
Excellent review, Han. :)

Reading it and looking at your pics makes me want to whip out my double Maul and take it to the streets.   ;)

lol remember your training AS....calm down..... ;)
The Force will be with you....always.

Offline Ki-Adi

• Cerean
  • Master Force User
  • Homeplanet; Cerea
I don't know if anyone has asked this but did it come with two seperate stands? I mean how does it get onto the stands? haha
"Impossible, the Sith have been extinct for a millennium."- Ki-Adi-Mundi

retrousse