fiduciary

Author Topic: Saber Spin Tutorial 16  (Read 8029 times)

Offline Ingchao

• Force User
    • Some of the sabers I've built:
Re: Saber Spin Tutorial 16
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 11:38:11 PM »
Excellent!  Very clever business idea; I wish you success with it.   Is it advertised as expressly Star Wars combat?

Any money we receive for class fees goes to pay for practice space, the only profit (and small) comes from saber sales AND those sabers that I build for students are sold at a discount.
Any "advertising" that is done is marketed as "saber combat and martial arts". I make no mention of Star Wars. I like to avoid any "Imperial Entanglements".

The logistics of such a thing is a nightmare. Novastar was looking into setting up something exactly like this, but it's 100% impossible to do alone, and getting groups to agree on things, form a common ground and actually agree on most of the aspects has proven to be impossible. That, and it takes a good amount of time and $$. Egos get in the way, and dsgdsgdsgssdszds..... >:(

Yes, Ingchao certainly does a great job on the east coast...if only we could do something together...we already agree on lots of things,  8)

Yeah, logistically, it would be a nightmare, but I'm taking a "let it grow naturally" stance. I don't have the time or energy to properly promote my group , let alone a tournament. If it happens it happens! And it will, someday.
It would be awesome for Caine and I to collaborate as we are probably the most trained (beside Novastar) martial artists in the saber world (State-side at least).  :)
I know-bold statement!  But Caine has 20+years experience and I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 years or so. So I think I can make such a statement.
Don't let my post count fool you. I've built more sabers than that count #.

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 11:49:53 PM »

I know-bold statement!  But Caine has 20+years experience and I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 years or so. So I think I can make such a statement.

Yes sir, you can!

Who knows what the future brings.  ;)

Offline whatknowyouofready

• Padawan Learner
  • There's always a bigger fish.
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 04:08:55 AM »
Well, like any venture/project, the hardest part is often the managing the personalities involved, not the execution of the details.  Either way, this forum represents a good start, and I bet you guys will eventually have something!  It probably won't be called Star Wars, unless you somehow get that permission from Disney, but we'll all know!  The lightsabers might give it away ;)
"Ready are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained. A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless. "

Offline Yoran Khoor

• Padawan Learner
  • Neither Light or Dark, there only the Force
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 10:06:15 AM »
What it is Master Caine....? Sorry, not everybody lives in BigApple my dear sir ( unfortunately) or you would have us all as students and we could kick-xxx choreography in the street, around TimeSquare and so much more, an army of Padawans !!!!

LOL, I don't live in the Big Apple either. I was just letting you know that you have folks here on the West Coast who can give others saber combat lessons, that's all.

Check out sabercombat.com for more info and mine and Novastar's instructional DVD's  :)

My bad Caine, you're the San Francisco school...my excuses ;P

My remark was mostly for those quite far away of any one able to teach them, but spinners are everywhere on the other side.
Plus your tutorial DVDs, it's a great package for youth and up whoo want to start !

On my side, in Vancouver I met with Red Fox and another forum member. Red Fox now train at our fencing school and he loves it ^^
I am with other students to try to adapt real longsword techniques to light saber, see how far we can use thwe style....But it's made for a sharp flat sword not a cylinder or plasma light^^
Have you explored into that  Caine? How much of HEMA can be put into light saber choreogreaphies in your opinion?
"You trully know someone after you fought him"
Jedi...Sith? Both are wrong and blind, there is only The Force!
And it's neither good nor evil, it just IS.

Offline Arryck Corso

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 11:02:33 AM »

It would be awesome for Caine and I to collaborate as we are probably the most trained (beside Novastar) martial artists in the saber world (State-side at least).  :)

Just wanted to add (since we obviously have the east and west coast covered) that I would be more than happy to lend my knowledge and experience as a midwest affiliate (I'm in Iowa btw). 

I've been studying the martial arts for almost 25 years now and have trained in multiple disciplines.  And through out the years I've trained literally hundreds of students from all walks of life and in all age groups.  I have had a lifelong passion for martial arts and and while most of my training has involved hand-to-hand training, this hobby that we all share has sparked within me a desire for more sword/weapons training. 

In any event, hopefully we can all see this hobby grow and I for one would love to be a part of it and help nurture that growth.   

The question isn't who is going to let me;  It's who is going to stop me!

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 03:13:56 PM »
My bad Caine, you're the San Francisco school...my excuses ;P

No sir, that is Novastar. I personally teach out of my martial arts school on the Central Coast and am not affiliated with anyone. I find it's best that way these days.  Although I am co-founder of NCSCS and Sabercombat.com, I have chosen to step down from that role for personal reasons.

On my side, in Vancouver I met with Red Fox and another forum member. Red Fox now train at our fencing school and he loves it ^^
I am with other students to try to adapt real longsword techniques to light saber, see how far we can use thwe style....But it's made for a sharp flat sword not a cylinder or plasma light^^
Have you explored into that  Caine? How much of HEMA can be put into light saber choreogreaphies in your opinion?

Honestly, I do not know anything about HEMA or how it can be incorporated. If you did some research on it, I would be interested in hearing what you find on it's relevance to incorporation on LED sabers.

Just wanted to add (since we obviously have the east and west coast covered) that I would be more than happy to lend my knowledge and experience as a midwest affiliate (I'm in Iowa btw). 

I've been studying the martial arts for almost 25 years now and have trained in multiple disciplines.  And through out the years I've trained literally hundreds of students from all walks of life and in all age groups.  I have had a lifelong passion for martial arts and and while most of my training has involved hand-to-hand training, this hobby that we all share has sparked within me a desire for more sword/weapons training. 

In any event, hopefully we can all see this hobby grow and I for one would love to be a part of it and help nurture that growth.

Excellent! Great to see another truly experienced martial artist amongst us in saberplay land. It is sadly something that saber combat lacks, and I for one am glad to hear that more and more folks are popping up.

To both Arryck and Ingchao, I *bow* to you both. OSU!

Offline Ingchao

• Force User
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 05:50:07 PM »

To both Arryck and Ingchao, I *bow* to you both. OSU!
Back at ya, Bro! *Rei*

Offline Arryck Corso

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 06:28:40 PM »
Likewise to both you sirs *kyung nae*   ;)

The question isn't who is going to let me;  It's who is going to stop me!

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • NCSCS - Sabercombat.com
    • DIAMOND DRAGONS: Humans stand, heroes fall--but DRAGONS are *Forever*...
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 12:26:20 PM »
To get ahold of Bandit Jedi's (Paul) awesome saber spin tutorial DVD... which includes a lot more than just what is seen on the net:
SaberCombat

In addition to that, Caine & I have quite a bit going on with the SaberCombat "NCSCS" DVDs... which, although they contain some info on saberspins... aren't there to "replace" Paul's DVD.  We did this out of both respect for him *AND* the idea of not "re-inventing the wheel".

The only other thing that I can say is... like many things in life, the more "complex" or "advanced" actions are simply a mixture of solid BASICS.  So... for example, if you learn A and B and C all individually... "ABC" all melded together would often be considered an advanced move.

Take MA kicks for example.  Basic side kick.  Easy, right?  Or so it would seem.  :)  You'd practice that for ages before it's solid and you could STILL learn more about it...

Add to it a body spin... in which case, it could become a spin back/side/thrust kick, or it could even turn into a wheel/hook, depending on your chambering, kick line, etc.

Add to it a jump... so there ya go "jump side kick" or jumping back kick...
Add to it a body spin IN THE AIR... "jumping spinning side kick" or jumping back kick.

Right there, you have a more "complex" action, but it's born ONLY of 3 basics:  learning how to jump (for kick tech)... learning how to spin (either in air or on ground)... and the basic kick itself.

Do the same with saber spins... and you've got your work cut out for you.  :)
* Former creator and owner of SaberCombat
* CUSTOM SOUND FONT LIST --->
Click here for Nova's 100+ custom sound fonts!
* PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS ---> Click here for Nova's saber performance work...
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline Ingchao

• Force User
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »
What Nova said about "Basics"- listen and take heed you all must!!!!!

If your basics (foundation) is not strong your  advanced techniques will be worse! I've been studying martial arts for more than 30 years and ya know what I start all my practice sessions with? Basic stances. Remember Karate kid III, the "Quicksilver" method? Part of that is "If a man can't stand, a man can't fight". That's where basic stances come in, they teach you how to stand properly.

So I'd like to end my 1 millionth rant on this topic on this note: Join a martial arts school, any style- just to get started. There's a reason you won't learn weapons in a regular MA school for 6mos or so. And that reason is-Guess what?

BASICS

Any teacher worthy of his rank wants your basics to be strong b4 you add a weapon to the mix. And they know that if you can't fight empty handed, when you have a weapon you'll be that much weaker.

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 09:32:46 PM »
Yes, yes and yes! Basics are essential to practice, regardless of experience!

Offline phydaux42

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2014, 06:07:31 PM »

If your basics (foundation) is not strong your  advanced techniques will be worse! I've been studying martial arts for more than 30 years and ya know what I start all my practice sessions with? Basic stances. Remember Karate kid III, the "Quicksilver" method? Part of that is "If a man can't stand, a man can't fight". That's where basic stances come in, they teach you how to stand properly.

So I'd like to end my 1 millionth rant on this topic on this note: Join a martial arts school, any style- just to get started. There's a reason you won't learn weapons in a regular MA school for 6mos or so. And that reason is-Guess what?

BASICS

Any teacher worthy of his rank wants your basics to be strong b4 you add a weapon to the mix. And they know that if you can't fight empty handed, when you have a weapon you'll be that much weaker.

"Join a martial arts school, any style- just to get started. There's a reason you won't learn weapons in a regular MA school for 6mos or so."

What's your take on the Filipino martial arts?

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2014, 11:34:44 AM »

BASICS

"Join a martial arts school, any style- just to get started. There's a reason you won't learn weapons in a regular MA school for 6mos or so."

What's your take on the Filipino martial arts?

They're awesome. Eskrima, Kali, Arnis...great arts with outstanding techniques for fighting.

Offline Ingchao

• Force User
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2014, 07:14:23 PM »
What Caine said!
The Filipino arts are real good in that they teach you how to use empty hands along with a weapon, they teach dual weapons AND they have some pretty cool footwork!

BUT.....it also depends on the teacher. Watch a class before you join it, DON'T just take the class. This way you can see the interactions of the students with the teacher and each other.

retrousse