fiduciary

Author Topic: YDD saber soundboard  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Rakles

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
YDD saber soundboard
« on: May 12, 2020, 11:40:23 PM »
Hi all,
New here and to saber building, I have Definately caught the bug!

I have gotten hold of a YDD soundboard that is not working, before I do what it likely deserves and bin it!  I thought I would give it a crack at seeing what's wrong.  On first inspection I found the battery was only putting out 2.5v (18650 cell) so I plugged the soudcard into a 3.3v supply, it does wake up but only to pulse the power button LED and the PCB mounted LED.  I upped the voltage to 4.3v and the same result.  Would anyone have any ideas?  I can't find any info online about these boards other than they are cheap and often badly soldered ( this one seems okay).  Any help would be awesome!

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
  • Never tell me the odds!
Re: YDD saber soundboard
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 07:52:44 AM »
Hi all,
New here and to saber building, I have Definately caught the bug!

I have gotten hold of a YDD soundboard that is not working, before I do what it likely deserves and bin it!  I thought I would give it a crack at seeing what's wrong.  On first inspection I found the battery was only putting out 2.5v (18650 cell) so I plugged the soudcard into a 3.3v supply, it does wake up but only to pulse the power button LED and the PCB mounted LED.  I upped the voltage to 4.3v and the same result.  Would anyone have any ideas?  I can't find any info online about these boards other than they are cheap and often badly soldered ( this one seems okay).  Any help would be awesome!

I've never encountered one myself (may prove difficult to find someone who has). I would inspect the board again with any type of magnification you have, and look for physically damaged components first. Feel free to post a picture here. After that your down to testing each component with a multimeter. it's most likely fixable it just depends on how much time you're willing to spend on fixing it.  :grin:

Offline Rakles

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Re: YDD saber soundboard
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 04:03:38 AM »
Okay, update on this one.  Apparently (through desperation and nothing to loose) one must short the charging port in order for this board to fire up!

Now to temporarily install it to my DIY saber hilt while I wait for the decent sound board to arrive!  I will post some pics in the introduction board if anyone is interested in the next few days.

retrousse