fiduciary

Author Topic: Lightsabers in the films, and their makers.  (Read 3276 times)

Offline Dimes

• Experienced Force User
  • Formerly known as JMurphy
Lightsabers in the films, and their makers.
« on: May 01, 2014, 08:47:47 PM »
Hi all,
I have been wondering for a while who actually constructed the lightsabers actually used in the films, especially the prequels. I'm curious to know if it were a company like WETA, or someone more independent solely being commissioned for the films. Thinking of this makes me think that it would be awesome to see anyone from the SABER GUILD having their work appear in any of the future films.

If anyone knows anything about the lightsabers in the films, it would be great to see your input.

Thanks guys :)
Of Course I know him, he's me!

Offline KI-ADI-MUNDI

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • "TRUST THE PROCESS"
Re: Lightsabers in the films, and their makers.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 08:53:04 PM »
Hi all,
I have been wondering for a while who actually constructed the lightsabers actually used in the films, especially the prequels. I'm curious to know if it were a company like WETA, or someone more independent solely being commissioned for the films. Thinking of this makes me think that it would be awesome to see anyone from the SABER GUILD having their work appear in any of the future films.

If anyone knows anything about the lightsabers in the films, it would be great to see your input.

Thanks guys :)
Lucasfilm in house prop department... PT sabers mostly designed by Nick Gillard...

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act"

Offline Deke

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 11:14:48 PM »
I know that the "look" of them was created by John Dykstra working with Lucas.

The actual handles sound like they were made by a couple of guys, details here: Lightsaber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But yes, all were working parts of ILM at the time, so in-house prop guys as stated.

Offline Dimes

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 11:18:20 PM »
Of course, so simple! Lucas Arts strikes again. Although I thought Nick Gillard only did the choreography during the fights, so John Dykstra makes a lot of sense. Heres to hoping for some cool new hilt designs in the coming films.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 11:29:48 PM »
On the one hand there's always hope for nice new sabers...on the other hand there is JJ Abrams ST reimagined 'phaser'. Either way I'm sure the top sabersmiths will be racing to be the first out with whatever the new saber designs turn out to be, even if they are as hideous as the Abramsverse Enterprise.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Dimes

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 12:14:11 AM »
Oh man I don't wanna know about the phaser…

But I bet the smiths here are already prototyping the 'light' slingshot incoming thanks to SW Rebels :P

Either way i'm sure that there will be at least one new hilt concept that the people here will jump on.

Offline Pfockerchief

• Master Force User
  • (Fa-ker-chief)
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 05:46:03 AM »
On the one hand there's always hope for nice new sabers...on the other hand there is JJ Abrams ST reimagined 'phaser'. Either way I'm sure the top sabersmiths will be racing to be the first out with whatever the new saber designs turn out to be, even if they are as hideous as the Abramsverse Enterprise.

The JJ hate is strong with this one   ???
Yoda Vintage GFIV, GFV
LDM Obi Bronzium Reveal
LDM MKVI ROTJ PC2 V2 #27
SP/LDM Sid
SJ Obi Romans Reveal
GCS CF6 CEX Asc#14/PC2 Asc AE/Custom Badaxx
OR Adi-Galia CF6
VV Luke Hero/Tempest/Wraths

retrousse