fiduciary

Author Topic: "Neopixel" Adapter PCB for APA102  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Master Cram-Fu

• No Force
"Neopixel" Adapter PCB for APA102
« on: November 04, 2018, 08:53:53 AM »
Ok, technically it's not neopixel, its apa102, but the main difference with these strips is the separate data/clock lines. The TCSS adapters only have 3 pins, for WS2812 leds. I designed some pcbs to make adapters for my apa102 strips, but has anyone else done this already? I couldn't find anything.

Here's a pic of the design so far. They're 1" OD, and the largest track is about .75" OD (marked by the green circle). The 0.125" lip around the outside is there so that they can be epoxied to the end of a thick or thin wall blade without any additional adapters. For both female and male adapters, each side is the same so that I can just solder wire on anywhere. Right now, there are via's around the outside of the pads to connect layers - there's probably a better way to do this.

I was planning to use the Mil-Max pins (0965-0-15-20-80-14-11-0) from here: (https://www.mill-max.com/assets/pdfs/024.pdf). So with a total of 12 pins each, it could theoretically handle 24 amps continuously or 36 amps maximum.

I'd have to order at least 10, so if anyone is interested I could sell some.

Offline Master Cram-Fu

• No Force
Re: "Neopixel" Adapter PCB for APA102
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 04:40:30 PM »

And here they are. Might post a video testing them at some point. I only have one blade right now though. Also made some boards to mount a teensy, mpu6050, oep20w amp, 12v step up for the amp, and 5v converter for the teensy.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 04:44:47 PM by Master Cram-Fu »

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 08:57:04 AM »
I would be concerned those pins don't enough travel to maintain a solid connection.  I think the main trouble with the PCB style connectors is that they need a very firm retention and solid, square fit.  I strongly prefer the aviation style connectors for this reason.

Offline SA22C

• No Force
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 12:56:04 PM »
I tend to agree that the aviation connectors are a better solution, where blade depth isn’t an issue. For my thin necked sabers, it’s pcbs or bust.

So far as the dot star strips go, any benefits for saber building? Other than the clock/data line and their improved refresh rate, are they brighter or (more ideally) less power hungry than the ws2812/13/sk6812 strips?

retrousse