fiduciary

Author Topic: MKVI and MKIII information Thread-MKVI Decision time!  (Read 38569 times)

Offline ntmf

• Padawan Learner
May I ask, if there still is the last slot open for an MKVI? I would like to buy a MKVI and it should have features like: Blinking-Triangle-Arrows, Movie flicker and FOC in a second color, would the PCv2 the correct choice?

I'm sorry but those 15 slots are all full.  This information is posted in my build log ;)  Now, just because you don't have a pre-order slot doesn't mean you will not be able to get one.  I will produce more than 15, I just don't feel comfortable taking more than 15 deposits, especially since this is still a number of months from even starting ;)

Thank you for the information. How will I be able to find out if I will be able to get one of the MKVI? I do not like auctions very much due to the fact that I like fixed prices (easier to calculate with) - so I hope there is an other way of buying them?

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
May I ask, if there still is the last slot open for an MKVI? I would like to buy a MKVI and it should have features like: Blinking-Triangle-Arrows, Movie flicker and FOC in a second color, would the PCv2 the correct choice?

I'm sorry but those 15 slots are all full.  This information is posted in my build log ;)  Now, just because you don't have a pre-order slot doesn't mean you will not be able to get one.  I will produce more than 15, I just don't feel comfortable taking more than 15 deposits, especially since this is still a number of months from even starting ;)

Thank you for the information. How will I be able to find out if I will be able to get one of the MKVI? I do not like auctions very much due to the fact that I like fixed prices (easier to calculate with) - so I hope there is an other way of buying them?

At this point, I am not planning on auctioning them.  Once I get rolling on creating the ones on the list, I will make the others available for commission (just like those on the list).

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Master Force User
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
Being that it is now time for ME to pay the deposit on the new batch of MKVI's, I will sell one of my two personal MKVI hilts.  These are from the original batch and have the copper neck and box top.  Remember, the new run will have aluminum PC'd copper parts so I don't have to raise the prices (copper is wildly expensive at this point and nearly double what it was last time).

Here is how it is gonna go.  I want this one to be a CFv6 build.  Why?  I need cash to pay for all the new ones, lol.  that means I will offer it to the people on the list starting at the top.  The top spot does indeed happen to be a CF build, as does the second spot.  The Second spot will most likely take it if the first doesn't because that dude has been waiting like 2 years.  I would also prefer to use the stick switch arrangement on this build.  I just did Spaznick's today with the stock switches and it functions very well.  Finally, this will NOT be a V2.

Since those are the only two on the list for CF MKVI's, if neither one takes it I will build it and auction it.  If someone from the list buys it, I will deduct their deposit from the final price. 

...and here is the list:

1.  Darth Smorgis (CFv6).--LOCKED & FINISHED
2.  C. Zhang (web) CF
3.  Sanjuro (CSv1...Hero version)
4.  Jin (CF)--LOCKED & FINISHED
5.  Kamakazykid
6.  scottjua PC
7.  VVENOM (V2)  PCv2 Pommel leds...TBD
8.  Mac23-PCv2 w/FoC
9.  DarthVix PC for now
10. Tham-Sai PC or CS
11. LUKE SKYWALKER
12. J. Lund (web) V2
13. Force Maverick
14. Kenobi2185
15. ScruffyNerfHerder PC (details later)

Ready...set...go.  :o  Darth Smorgis is on the clock...you have 3 days to decide.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 03:17:04 PM by GENERAL GRIEVOUS »

Offline Jin

• Padawan Learner
You can switch me to a CFv6 too. If neither of the top three want a CF MKVI from the original run, I'll take it. Is the stick switch arrangement the one where the black buttons on the side of the box turn the saber on? That would be extra cool if it that was the case.

Edit: Just curious, but how much more would keeping the copper have cost?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 08:15:09 PM by Jin »

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
PM sent

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Master Force User
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
You can switch me to a CFv6 too. If neither of the top three want a CF MKVI from the original run, I'll take it. Is the stick switch arrangement the one where the black buttons on the side of the box turn the saber on? That would be extra cool if it that was the case.

Edit: Just curious, but how much more would keeping the copper have cost?

Prices would have likely gone up at LEAST $100/saber.  I was floored by how much it went up.  Of course it has been since 2009 (when we bought the materials) but dang.  I was disappointed, but if we can ever find a deal on copper, I may take orders for copper necks/box tops for those who really want them.  I will add you to the list and get back to you after I talk with Smorgis ;)

Offline Turgon

• Master Force User
  • Epic Bear sez " Can I haz two?"
Copper hovered at about $1.50/lb.  in 2005 it jumped to $4.00/lb.  except for a brief period in 2009 when it returned to $1.50/lb, the price has stayed at $4.00/lb.  if the copper parts went increased from $50 to $150, that makes sense -- if  each saber uses 30 lbs of copper each.  (I just made up the $50 value;  I have no  knowledge of the actual costs.)

My point is that the price of copper went up greatly, but that does not explain the price jump.  There is more to this story.  Maybe your supplier is gouging you.  Maybe the factory that makes your particular stock shut down...  I don't know, but it would be interesting to find out.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 01:37:54 AM by Turgon »

I've broken Juggers in half, smashed their bones, left the ground behind me wet with brains. There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake.

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Master Force User
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
Copper hovered at about $1.50/lb.  in 2005 it jumped to $4.00/lb.  except for a brief period in 2009 when it returned to $1.50/lb, the price has stayed at $4.00/lb.  if the copper parts went increased from $50 to $150, that makes sense -- if  each saber uses 30 lbs of copper each.  (I just made up the $50 value;  I have no  knowledge of the actual costs.)

My point is that the price of copper went up greatly, but that does not explain the price jump.  There is more to this story.  Maybe your supplier is gouging you.  Maybe the factory that makes your particular stock shut down...  I don't know, but it would be interesting to find out.

I am fully aware of the reasons 'why'.  Unfortunately there is a ton of waste on each neck AND each box top (meaning you need double the piece size plus extra to cut) and there are certain size/minimum requirements to purchase it.  It is also "machinable copper" which is much more expensive.  Anyone who machines copper knows this and knows why you don't use 'regular' copper to machine parts from ;) It is what it is.  I chose not to do it to keep the saber costs to my clients the same.  I am not willing to take a $85+ hit on each saber.  If I had to do that, I would simply not do them at all.

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
Another PM sent

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Master Force User
    • ldmcustomsabers.com

Offline Turgon

• Master Force User
  • Epic Bear sez " Can I haz two?"

I am fully aware of the reasons 'why'.  Unfortunately there is a ton of waste on each neck AND each box top (meaning you need double the piece size plus extra to cut) and there are certain size/minimum requirements to purchase it.  It is also "machinable copper" which is much more expensive.  Anyone who machines copper knows this and knows why you don't use 'regular' copper to machine parts from ;) It is what it is.  I chose not to do it to keep the saber costs to my clients the same.  I am not willing to take a $85+ hit on each saber.  If I had to do that, I would simply not do them at all.

I don't want to imply that you are doing anything more than your best and most honest.  I was more musing on the state of (unstated) inflation.  This is not the right venue for this discussion, and I started it, but I just don't get how a base mattial cost can tripple and then all of the subsequent processing (labor) cost increases in a like percentage.  It just doesn't make sense. 

I've broken Juggers in half, smashed their bones, left the ground behind me wet with brains. There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake.

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Master Force User
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
If anyone wants to pre-order a MKVI, spot #8 is available for purchase ($100 deposit).

Offline Pfockerchief

• Master Force User
  • (Fa-ker-chief)
PM sent.
Yoda Vintage GFIV, GFV
LDM Obi Bronzium Reveal
LDM MKVI ROTJ PC2 V2 #27
SP/LDM Sid
SJ Obi Romans Reveal
GCS CF6 CEX Asc#14/PC2 Asc AE/Custom Badaxx
OR Adi-Galia CF6
VV Luke Hero/Tempest/Wraths

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Master Force User
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
PM sent.

Sorry man.  It is taken via PM since  last PM.  There will be about double what I took deposits for, so there will be an easy chance to get one for everyone who wants them.

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Master Force User
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
Updated.  AND, all MKVI's (Hero version) will have real copper.  Price will go up by $50 to cover it.  The people have spoken, let it be so.

retrousse