fiduciary

Author Topic: The glory of Star Wars Galaxies  (Read 3578 times)

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Great Sith Leader and Hero
  • Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
The glory of Star Wars Galaxies
« on: February 19, 2015, 06:36:18 PM »
Those of you who were fortunate enough to experience the SWG experience pre-NGE soon discovered what could arguably be considered the most innovative, immersive, and customizable MMO produced.  That is ... until the massive updates and the advent of a bunch of hippy Jedi running around all the worlds with no fear of bounty hunters or the fact the storyline took place during the Galactic Civil War when the (few) Jedi left would have been in hiding.

Anyways, if you were like me, after the massive changes, I left for other MMOs because the way they bastardized the game.  Plus, being reactivated for the war left little time for playing and when I got back, I was left with a vile taste from the game.

Fortunately, a friend of my from the Corps contacted me telling me about an emulator.  The server is relatively new (only about 4 months or so).  For those of you who still have the game, or can obtain one from ebay, amazon, bittorrent, etc.  the world of SWG is back.

Fearing I would be dismayed by the graphics, I was amazed at how I could run the entire game on my laptop with on-board video and run all the settings at max.  and the graphics are surprisingly still impressive.

As many of us older gamers (EQ-beta days) understood early on, graphics can be compromised for good GUI and great storyline.  Yes SWTOR has the edge on graphics, but falls way short in immersiveness and customization of characters.  It reminds me of the day Nevewinter Nights 2 came out and within a month, people were flocking back to NWN1.  They wanted playability and story, not just graphics.

The server is pre-NGE with an entirely different Jedi unlock of which NO ONE knows.  The DEV is tight lipped about this for a reason.  6 starting professions with 31 other advanced/hybrid professions.

The main forum is:  SWG Awakening • Pre-CU Server

If you happen to try it out, I currently have a toon working toward Bounty Hunter.  Raijlin.

Look me up and hope to see you on the field of battle!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:05:19 PM by Darth Raijlin »

Offline KingOfDathomir

• Master Force User
  • Call me... Old Master
Re: The glory of Star Wars Galaxies
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 02:10:38 AM »
Wonder if they'll bring back space flight? Jump to Lightspeed was the beez-kneez when it came out.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 02:12:10 AM by KingOfDathomir »

Korbanth Sid
Korbanth MW3
Korbanth DM1 v2014
RomanProps Inception Elite
MR 2005 Anakin ROTS LE
Korbanth Duke
HFFX ANH Darth Vader
SF Luke ROTJ Hero
Korbanth Crossguard
Korbanth Graflex v2.0 (Finn-flex)
AHS w/ Crystal Shard v1
Pachstore Shadowblade (SWR Darksaber)
VyleOne TCW Asajj Ventress (3-D printed, 1:1)
VyleOne TCW Pre-Viszla Darksaber (3-D printed, 1:1)
KR Sabers Kenobi ROTS

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 10:47:16 AM »
I'm not sure if they already have it or not.  I haven't checked, but it wouldn't surprise me.  I know they have the secondary classes for Rebel Pilot, IMperial Pilot, and the neutral version.

They also kept some post NGE things as well, to include races, buildings, and such.

Offline STARKILLER

• Lord of the Strings
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • VADER's VAULT MFG
    • Vaders Vault
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 10:49:43 AM »
I'll have to check it out. I will say though, that what SWTOR lacks in character customization, it MORE than makes up for in story and immersion.

Offline TrypWyr

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 12:31:05 PM »
One of the officers in my multi-gaming guild has done quite a bit of research on the available emulators for SWG. Here is a link to our public forums where he's posted a few threads about the subject, SWGEmu in particular: Public Chat

And here's a link directly to the post comparing three different emulators: Star Wars Galaxies Emulators - Completion Status Comparison

FYI, these SWG threads are safe; however, some of the other threads on that forum are not exactly all-ages friendly... Just a polite warning. Mods, if this is a problem, please feel free to remove my links. I can also just repost our officer's info if anyone likes (once I get his permission).

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 01:16:46 PM »
That's interesting Starkiller, because most of the people I talk to have left SWTOR because the lack of story and enjoyment.  Most of the folks on the Awakening server left SWTOR too because of varying reasons.

Maybe it is a generational thing that affects the opinions of gamers?  Not sure.  But ... I'm having fun anyways on there!  :)

TrypWyr, the server I stated isn't listed on your forum.  Unless you consider Awakening part of the SWGEmu?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 01:20:44 PM by Darth Raijlin »

Offline TrypWyr

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 02:14:52 PM »
TrypWyr, the server I stated isn't listed on your forum.  Unless you consider Awakening part of the SWGEmu?

Whoops, I didn't realize that! I sent our guy the link to see if he wants to add it to his comparison list. :)

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 03:02:30 PM »
Apparently the server is growing very quickly. 

Ed posted we are at 1,800+ registered accounts.

retrousse