fiduciary

Author Topic: Question about FoC on a saberstaff  (Read 609 times)

Offline gcon22

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Question about FoC on a saberstaff
« on: February 19, 2020, 10:23:28 AM »
I'm new to the saber scene. I'm going to order a staff from Ultrasabers soon. Unfortunately I'm having trouble activating my account on the saber forum (issue on their end), so I hope it's okay that I ask my questions here because I need answers ASAP.

I've seen videos where flash on clash activates for both blades on a staff when a clash is detected. It seems odd to me. In practice, is this an issue for those who have a saberstaff with FoC?

Also, I'm thinking of getting sentinel yellow for the blades' color. From what I understand, SY is obtained by red and green LEDs. How do the LEDs operate differently between a saber equipped with FoC and without FoC when idle? Is there a brightness difference of the SY between the two?

I also have the option on choosing orange or silver FoC. In videos, the orange imo looks too red and contrasting. I imagine it would be distracting if both blades flashed during a single-sided clash, or when accidentally triggered while spinning. I've yet to find a video with silver FoC. Does anyone have first hand experience with both FoC colors on a SY? How does each look in person? Which looks more "natural"?

Is FoC even worth it on a staff? On a SY staff?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: Question about FoC on a saberstaff
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 01:54:01 PM »
Clashes are determined by a motion detector, be it a simple sprint switch or a more complex IMU.  Even if you have two separate saber boards, the impact that triggers the event on the impact side happens to the entire saber.  It has no way of deciding which side was impacted.  There are ways this might be accomplished, but there is no current method commonly in practice, and you would need a DIY solution to make it work.  Since saber staff is more of an oddity than some other configurations, it might be hard to find someone willing to put in the time to work on such a solution unless they have a deep desire to do it themselves.

Offline gcon22

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 10:42:20 PM »
Thanks for your response. I think I like the FoC feature so I'll just have to live with its inherent nature on a staff. I imagine silver flash wouldn't be too distracting, yet will still provide the novelty. Does anyone think silver FoC will look good with Sentinel Yellow blade color? Is it noticeable "enough", or will it be too washed out with the yellow?

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 07:14:58 AM »
Yellow will be R+G, white will be R+G+B so it will be brighter, assuming you are maxing your values.  The warmer (redder) your yellow color, the more significant the white flash will seem.  The white clash may not be as obvious as it would be flashing from red or green, but that's a matter of contrast.

retrousse