fiduciary

Author Topic: 3 Strips Neopixel Blade ?  (Read 4244 times)

Offline Rogue9

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
3 Strips Neopixel Blade ?
« on: January 26, 2018, 02:35:59 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm still pretty new into this new neopixel blades, but I can say right now that they look really gorgeous on video !

I never saw one for real yet, but from what I understand, it may not be as impressive as it is in video ? from what I read here and there, one of the drawback is the shadow when you look at it from a point of view perpendicular to the strip ...

That led me to thinking : if there is this issue with a 2 strip back to back blade, wouldn't it solve the issue to build a blade with 3 strip, in a triangle fashion ?

I saw a video on youtube from a guy (Volguus) who did a vader saber with such a blade build. In the video, he said he was potentially one of the first to do it ...

Any thoughts on that ? The first potential showstopper I think about is the amount of power required for 3 strips rather than 2 ... but on the other hand, I think that you can lower the setting of all led by 1/3 and you will still have the same light produced ...

Thanks in advance for your feedback !

Offline SA22C

• No Force
  • Don't Panic
Re: 3 Strips Neopixel Blade ?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 07:55:02 AM »
Naigon makes a triangle/prizm kit and many others have built blades in that config.  From my experience with the 'skinny' strips, you don't need three strips to get a good result and doing a simple back-to-back pixel blade is really easy.  That said, if you want to run a larger capacity battery with sufficient amps, I'm sure that the Naigon blade or other tri-strip setups would be stupid bright.

Offline NobAkimoto

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 07:55:10 AM »
It might be worthwhile if you want to primarily run with red headed colors - but the cost difference for adding a third of even God forbid a fourth strip makes it a bit of an edge case. With that said, my current unprotected Panasonic batteries last around ~25-40 minutes on a full charge depending on the color - so if you're fine with shortish 10-20 minute uses and need the extra brightness and ability to have a top and bottom facing "extra" pixel to maximize fullness it might be worth playing around with.

Offline whillb

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 02:35:53 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm still pretty new into this new neopixel blades, but I can say right now that they look really gorgeous on video !

I never saw one for real yet, but from what I understand, it may not be as impressive as it is in video ? from what I read here and there, one of the drawback is the shadow when you look at it from a point of view perpendicular to the strip ...

That led me to thinking : if there is this issue with a 2 strip back to back blade, wouldn't it solve the issue to build a blade with 3 strip, in a triangle fashion ?

I saw a video on youtube from a guy (Volguus) who did a vader saber with such a blade build. In the video, he said he was potentially one of the first to do it ...

Any thoughts on that ? The first potential showstopper I think about is the amount of power required for 3 strips rather than 2 ... but on the other hand, I think that you can lower the setting of all led by 1/3 and you will still have the same light produced ...

Thanks in advance for your feedback !

One thing I have heard on this subject, is that having 3 or 4 strips makes the edges come closer to the blade tube. That can actually make the problem worse.

That info may be outdated now that the "mini" strips are out there.

I haven't been able to find any "mini" cheap strips. Only the Adfruit Neopixle ones.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 02:41:37 PM »
As whillb said, I don't think the extra strips help anything, they just push the problems closer to the surface and make them harder to diffuse.  Clear gift wrap like you'd use in an fancy flashlight style hilt will help a great deal in diffusing your blade.  Check out Neopixel blade assembly - an experience exchange board for some insights into various arguments.

retrousse