fiduciary

Author Topic: First builds. NeoPixel, Nano-Biscotte V4, Korbanth: K4, Graflex 2.0, MPP 2.0  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Guybrush

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Hi all, I've just signed up to this forum and I'm planning my first builds.
I want to have 3 hilts (for now ;) with a single string LED RGB blade and electronics set up that I can switch between hilts when I want to.

My rough idea for internals will be to use an MPP 2.0 chassis to house a standard setup of a 18650 Li-On with a recharge port, a 28mm speaker, a nano-biscotte V4, and a neopixel LED string.
I'm planning on having all of the hilts' buttons wired up using JST connectors for ease of interchange.

The three hilts I'm considering for now are the following Korbanth kits:
- Graflex 2.0
- MPP 2.0
- K4

Please point out to me if you see any issues or problems with my plan - I expect to have a decent amount of reading to do :P

For now though my main questions are:
1. Does this sound feasible and are there any issues you notice with my proposed plan?
2. Will the MPP 2.0 Chassis fit in the K4 and Graflex 2.0 Korbanth hilts? All three hilts are quite wide so I'm hoping they will. If not, could some light dremeling fix it or is there a different chassis that would better suit my purposes?
3. Could someone please direct me to a place where I could find out what is required for a Li-Ion + Neo pixel RGB + Nano-Biscotte build? Heatsinks, required components etc.

Many thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 01:33:34 AM by Guybrush »

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
Re: First build - multiple Korbanth hilts, one interchangeable set of internals
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 10:04:34 PM »
Mr. Threepwood, you are probably better off making a separate chassis for each hilt, but use a common blade connector so you can share the blade(s).  Getting things in and out of the hilts is never going to be a nice and easy unfortunately.

Offline Guybrush

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to avoid multiple orders but I think that's going to be unavoidable.

In terms of internals, here's what I'm planning to get:
- nano-biscotte
- 28mm bass speaker
- a bunch of 26AWG JST connectors and wire
- 18650 wired Li-Ion with protection circuit
- 2.1mm recharge port
- A recharge unit

For the blade I'm thinking:
- NeoPixel RGB strip (two 150 LED strips connected back to back)
- 7/8" Thin walled Trans White PolyC cut to 37 inches
- White bullet and round tips (not sure which I want so I'll get both)

Am I missing anything?

Would a custom chassis using MHS v2 parts be a good way to go about building chassis for each kit?

For the bottom it seems I'd have a speaker mount with 3 threaded bars going through it, but I'm not too sure what to put in the top end of it for a setup using string LEDs.. do I even need a heat sink?

What is the best way to have a string LED blade connect/disconnect to a hilt?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 01:32:58 AM by Guybrush »

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
My original intention was to make a Universal Core system... but size, shape, button placement, and technology changes have all proven to complicate this quite a bit.  I think it's possible to some extent, but it would take a great deal of preparation and would limit future designs to keep them compatible no matter what.

Offline Guybrush

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Yeah, I've come to the realisation that a universal core isn't all that feasible.

Would I be better off getting MHS v1 or MHS v2 for the following 3 hilts?
- Graflex 2.0
- MPP 2.0
- K4
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 12:57:22 AM by Guybrush »

Offline Morannon

• Force User
  • “Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter.”
If you're referring to the chassis system, I would go on shapeways.com and buy the Darth Ryo chassis for each of those sabers. They will make your life way more simple, and look really nice too.

Rebellion Run Jacen Solo
GCS Ascend

Offline Guybrush

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
I was referring to the chassis but I accidentally wrote MVS rather than MHS.
Thanks for advice. 3D printed chassis seems like it might be the way to go :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:38:31 PM by Guybrush »

Offline Guybrush

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
I'm probably after a 'padawan' level chassis and I'm interested in using the newly announced spring loaded circular blade connectors from TCSS for my LED strips. Will any existing chassis designs out there work with this connector?

Offline Guybrush

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Update regarding my previous last message. I've seen some new work-in-progress connectors that TCSS is working on for LED strips which I'm probably going use those for my builds.
My other option is aviation connectors.

I contacted TCSS asking about how to design a chassis around them and the response I got was along the lines of:
"The prototype designs aren't final yet so we can't comment on how this will affect chassis design."

I'll post my progress when I get around to actually making some.
Thanks for the help everyone.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:50:07 PM by Guybrush »

retrousse