fiduciary

Author Topic: Battery Replacement?  (Read 639 times)

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
Battery Replacement?
« on: May 17, 2017, 05:35:38 PM »
I'm wondering if there is a set age or number of charge cycles after which the Lithium Ion batteries that we typically use in this hobby should be replaced. I've had some sabers for close to 5 years now all with protected 3.7V or 7.4V packs and recharge ports. They've seen light to moderate dueling action and still take a charge and operate just fine. How long can you run these things? How will I know when it's time to replace the battery? Do I wait for it to stop working, or is there some other sign I should be looking for?

I Googled it but I can't find a clear answer.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
Re: Battery Replacement?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 04:17:40 PM »
Sorry for replying to an old thread...

Unfortunately there is no single answer to this question, because it depends on the chemistry, quality and use of the battery.
If you let the battery deplete below a certain level, the chemistry will start to break down.
If you charge it too often, the chemistry will also break down.
And if it's a crappy battery, the chemistry will break down regardless of what you do.

Generally, quality batteries made in the last few years will last at least three years. After that you will start to notice a decrease in battery life. After that it depends how much loss of battery life you can tolerate. Once you you get to the point that the battery life is half of what it was originally, or the battery never reaches the point where the charger shuts off, it's probably time to replace the battery.

It may also be good to inspect the batteries visually every now and then. Leaky batteries should be replaced immediately.

5 years would be a lot for a battery that gets used every day and recharged often, but for a lightsaber that gets used and re-charged once in a while, I would expect a lot longer life.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
Re: Battery Replacement?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 04:53:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Good info.

retrousse