fiduciary

Author Topic: Prototype  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Lord Zen

• No Force
Prototype
« on: April 06, 2017, 01:22:34 PM »
Hi All,

With the ever changing pace of saber technology, and my desire to maintain a minimal collection, I want to create a saber that will act as a testbed for trying out new things without building something completely bespoke each time. With that in mind I'm planning to create a short, quick, shoto-like saber that is fairly robust, with easy access to update internal components as needed.

Simply called "prototype" the look will be loosely based on the TFU II poster saber, and a Graflex head.

So, to start things off - a style 20 TCSS blade holder:

And let the greebling begin  :grin: :

Offline Asoka Tano

• Experienced Force User
Re: Prototype
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 01:50:30 PM »
I see you added the "Telegraph" Graflex-style parallel lines! Nice!
VV Kanan Jarrus ("Dume")
VV Obi Wan CW ("Negotiator")
VV Sith Acolyte

Offline Lord Zen

• No Force
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 09:03:04 AM »
I see you added the "Telegraph" Graflex-style parallel lines! Nice!

Yes  :azn:,

I own a telegraph Graflex that I can measure off. I made it six lines at 1.9mm apart and guessed at a depth of around 0.3mm. When I created a test piece 0.25mm seemed a little too shallow and 0.5mm too much.

The TCSS blade holder makes it easier to apply the lines as it doesn't have the bulges around the glass eye and red button holes.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 04:53:53 PM »
I like to tinker so I've tried to create a test-bed saber several times myself. Each time I end up getting to a point where I really like it and so I never want to take it apart again after that, or I end up selling it. Here's hoping you have more success with this strategy than I have. Looks beautiful so far.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 08:35:00 PM »
This is a lovely piece of work.

I'm somewhat in Jake's camp, but also, the current build I've ended up making it more complicated than I originally intended so now it's becoming less takeapartable. I've got some ideas to remedy that, but it's just so hard to show restraint in these things!  (actually before I decided to make it a proto-hilt it was supposed to be a get-it-done-and-sell-it hilt). 

Offline Lord Zen

• No Force
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 10:35:34 AM »
I like to tinker so I've tried to create a test-bed saber several times myself. Each time I end up getting to a point where I really like it and so I never want to take it apart again after that, or I end up selling it. Here's hoping you have more success with this strategy than I have. Looks beautiful so far.

Thanks JakeSoft, let's see how this one goes, best laid plans and all that  :azn:
So far this has just been surface aesthetics.

This is a lovely piece of work.

I'm somewhat in Jake's camp, but also, the current build I've ended up making it more complicated than I originally intended so now it's becoming less takeapartable. I've got some ideas to remedy that, but it's just so hard to show restraint in these things!  (actually before I decided to make it a proto-hilt it was supposed to be a get-it-done-and-sell-it hilt). 

Some good insight there on project creep and maintaining a simple level of takeapartability  :grin:

For me there are some considerations and design constraints I'd like to keep in mind:

1) Anticipation of technological changes. Where do I see technology changing and what are the areas I'm interested in? Which parts are going to be swapped more frequently? For example the battery itself probably won't change, but will recharging be 2.1mm socket based or USB? How can the design support that?

2) External access of controls. Here I'd like a reductionist approach with minimal external buttons. Any interface that involves a cut through the external shell links it to the internal electronics. So each switch will need a detachable connector. I'm also mindful that some technologies might require an extra control, so portal holes could be drilled to facilitate this expansion.

3) Entry points. Similar to 2) above, there are a number of accesses required, notably the bit where the blade goes in and how it is illuminated, access to the magic electronic gubbins inside, and holes for sound to come out.

4) Keep the internals simple and modular

Now this is all easier written down than doing :azn: but there are interesting things in the 3D printing world to help with this.

Unfortunately the college is on Easter holidays at the moment so no access to the workshop, so just noodling on ideas.

And while it's good to have some design direction, organically exploring the design by doing is just a lot more fun :grin:, even though that might end up with a few pieces of aluminium in the bin...

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 11:13:23 AM »
1) Anticipation of technological changes. Where do I see technology changing and what are the areas I'm interested in? Which parts are going to be swapped more frequently? For example the battery itself probably won't change, but will recharging be 2.1mm socket based or USB? How can the design support that?
4) Keep the internals simple and modular
These are somewhat related for me, I leverage the aviation connector to make my builds both modular and flexible.  I can connect a different board using similar pins, or I can connect a different blade technology (currently switching between pixel and RGB LED).  I charge through the blade socket and use a TRRS (like cellphone headphones) to usb cable for programming (arduino based builds) and 2.1mm for charging.  Obi_1's next DIYino board will feature USB charging, file management and programming, in this case I'll be able to switch to just having the TRRS jack!  I've come up with a bunch of 3D printed parts to facilitate this, which I've sold through the forum and elsewhere.

2) External access of controls. Here I'd like a reductionist approach with minimal external buttons. Any interface that involves a cut through the external shell links it to the internal electronics. So each switch will need a detachable connector. I'm also mindful that some technologies might require an extra control, so portal holes could be drilled to facilitate this expansion.
3) Entry points. Similar to 2) above, there are a number of accesses required, notably the bit where the blade goes in and how it is illuminated, access to the magic electronic gubbins inside, and holes for sound to come out.
I've figured out how I'm going to tackle this in my current build so I'll be back to making my build modular!!

My first modular build was built using mostly scraps and plastic pipe: Wejack - A prototyping & development lightsaber  This platform has served me well, my current WIP is a TCSS based build that was intended to be similar conceptually but leveraging the threaded modularity.  Unfortunately I started putting screws in things as the creep started taking hold, but it's still pretty easy to take apart.  The "emitter" module is the big trick since it mates with the core chassis through a choke, and the buttons are in the choke.  (no pictures yet, currently working on a prop commission, will return to sabers when that's done)

Offline Lord Zen

• No Force
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 11:14:08 AM »
Cool,

Thanks for the thoughts, and the link to Wejack.
I'm wondering how tightly to couple the illumination method to the soundboard.
Guess that will be somewhat informed by the soundboard itself.

Offline Lord Zen

• No Force
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 11:28:16 AM »
The workshop is open again, so I can progress this a little  :azn:

Replaced the self-colouring 3-48 cap screws with stainless steel, which were not easy to find in the UK in any reasonable quantity and price:

Blade holder reduced in length, and a 45 degree chamfer added:

Aluminium tubing turned down to 1 inch diameter to serve as a 7/8 blade holder. A bit of detail added, including a scored band in respect to the telegraph Graflex marks.
The remaining rough aluminium will be turned to create a choke inspired by the TFU II poster saber:

All the screws have been temporarily removed as they will need to be cut down in length.

Offline Lord Zen

• No Force
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 12:00:50 PM »
This week's work, turned the choke section:

The remaining un-worked section will need a screw thread put on it, I'm also considering where to put switches.
Still need to trim some of the screws down and drill a hole to allow a blade retainer screw to fit through.

Offline Lord Zen

• No Force
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 11:13:19 AM »
Last week I drilled three holes:

Yay me!

But to be fair, they are quite small and precise holes..

Shown lit up with a test LED:

This week I turned a screw thread at the end so I can attach it into a piece of aluminium tubing...

Offline Lord Zen

• No Force
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 10:55:26 AM »
This week I put some screw threads within the two ends of an aluminium tube, but that's not too exciting to look at. So I've wrapped the piece with some black, distressed, linen ribbon.

Having spent far too long looking at the TFU II poster, I think the wraps are fabric:

Half-term next week, so the college workshop is closed. So a couple of weeks before I can do anything further on the metalwork. I still want to put a groove on the choke section, and I'll need to put a button somewhere...

I'll also work on a pommel, again inspired by the TFU II saber...

Offline Lord Zen

• No Force
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 08:16:20 AM »
Pommel blank created on the lathe:

Then a couple of hours spent on the milling machine with the dividing head:

Want to do some more detailing work on this

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu