fiduciary

Author Topic: New Reproduction Graflex Hilts  (Read 60395 times)

Offline ForceSensitvAL

• No Force
Re: New Reproduction Graflex Hilts
« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2017, 01:49:23 PM »
Also interested, especially if these are the stainless steel variants.

Offline erlomd

• Experienced Force User
  • "Fog Machines & Lightsaber Reys"
« Reply #181 on: April 21, 2017, 06:22:20 PM »
Any news on this? got another run coming? been interested in it since 2015! lol

Offline Darth Brooks

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #182 on: April 22, 2017, 06:39:43 PM »
Any chance you're gonna do an Anakin ROTS version? Does anyone know who does?

Offline spaznick

• Master Force User
« Reply #183 on: April 26, 2017, 08:25:37 PM »
Picked up the prototype with goth chassis as soon as the store opened up.  I have it in hand and can attest to the quality.  I also have a custom limited build in route from KR, I am sure that will also be a testament to the quality of the SS Graflex from JQ.

Offline Ridire Fíréan

• Force User
  • Up&down&around the bend a Jedi's story never ends
« Reply #184 on: April 27, 2017, 11:07:26 AM »
Hadn't checked in on this for a while because I thought it was a dead project.  Interesting to see that the website has a "New Graflex 3 Cell Replica Flashgun TFA Saber.  Number 2 of 3 Special Preview versions of our new Stainless Steel Graflex Hilt".

JQ Sabers | Jedi Quartermaster » New Graflex 3 Cell Replica Flashgun TFA Saber   "Out of stock"

For £1100.00!

What ever happened to £250 for Euro customers and £210 for USA???

I get that the £1100.00 is for a RTR version with top knotch components, but that's a lot higher price than I can afford at present.  And it's double what the prototypes sold for on eBay!!!

If it took a year to get to "Number 2 of 3 Special Preview versions" (assuming the prototypes were the Number 1 of 3 versions), we'll see the Number 3 of 3 version in 2018 and then how long until the production version actually arrives?

I want to be excited about this project, and I appreciate the desire to make everything perfect, but...

I'll just say that I hope that the production run begins soon and that the cost is nearer the £210-£250 estimate than the £418-£1100 Prototype/Special Preview versions.

Offline IceSaber

• Experienced Force User
  • Midi-chlorians..
« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2017, 04:06:33 PM »
Two things here. The saber you're looking at is a fully installed replica by jq and their partner with a goth3d chassis inside. It's certainly not cheap but it's about normal for what it is.

I'm sure the stainless steel hilt on its own will cost in the region of what they've previously said. The timings have been an issue but judging by how quickly they've gotten their website updated, and facebook page made it seems they're working really hard.

I wouldnt think it'd be too long but I do agree that an update is in order. Maybe Daren or Susan will reply here sometime soon.

Offline JQsabers

• Makers of Heroes....
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
    • jqsabers
« Reply #186 on: May 01, 2017, 07:45:06 AM »
Hi all, well, it's been a long hard road to get these hilts together, we are still not there yet as the blade sockets are being remade right now.
Soon as they are in my possession I will be offering them to those who have been waiting patiently on our list.
We are viewing this run as our tester batch, ironing out production, making a few adjustments to improve our design for the next run

For now I have a limited number of Pro Kits which are being offered on our list so please they are not for open sale .

Offline lset

• No Force
  • In balance, find peace
« Reply #187 on: May 06, 2017, 01:53:15 AM »
Hey everyone,

I was lucky enough to be on the first batch of hilts that were sent out by JQ, so I thought I would offer my thoughts and a mini-review for those who are interested. Things to say up front, I'm not affiliated with JQ in any way (although Susan was nice enough to place me in this release) and I haven't owned a vintage so I can't make that comparison.

The kit arrived in a well packaged box. It sounds a bit silly but I really love the sticker. It will definitely be put on the stand that this is kept on.

This particular kit is setup for a TFA build. The blade holder is a modded KR sabers (read: really nice), and it has all of the right screws, pommel cap cover, tabs and already modded grips. The clamp card is a reversible Slothfurnace card, that has ESB on one side and TFA on the other. It needed a bit of sanding to fit, but thats likely just due to machining variations of the clamp. The card is great, just like all of Slothfurnace's other cards.

The hilt itself is brilliant. The stainless steel gives it a nice weight and feel, and the finish is excellent. Holes are pre-tapped in lower half for the grips to be added, and the pommel cap has also been pre-drilled to allow for the D-ring to be attached. The cap has the Graflex stamp, but does not on the clamp (as per a TFA config). I'll say now that the clamp is great, it's really well machined and fits perfectly when attaching with the rest of the hilt. The red button and bunny ears seem to be spot on (as far as I can tell in-comparison to vintage pictures I've seen). In short, this whole kit is just great. Daren and Susan seem to have taken the time not just to get an excellent replica Graflex, but also to source all of the required pieces for a complete build from the best in the community. It's certainly saved me having to get the card from slothfurnace or the blade holder from Khal for example.

This is going to sit as the pride of my collection now and I'm pretty confident that everyone who has patiently been waiting for these won't be disappointed. If anyone has any questions or wants any more photos then just let me know.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 02:14:42 AM by lset »

Offline erlomd

• Experienced Force User
  • "Fog Machines & Lightsaber Reys"
« Reply #188 on: May 06, 2017, 07:28:03 AM »
Thanks for the review!!!

That looks great! and I can't wait until they become available to purchase one...I love that satin look...looks so smooth and perfect! I'm also sure it may even be mirror polished!

I own a vintage and by the looks of the pictures, your hilt is pretty spot on! I mean theres differences in the pommel portion as well as the logo section but I mean it still looks amazing...

my only gripe is the clamp without the logo...I get TFA theme but whatever, no big deal really....amazing man! congrats!!! to me this and a vintage are the epitome of the perfect hilt!

Thanks for sharing!

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
  • Star Wars collector in the UK.
« Reply #189 on: May 06, 2017, 07:58:56 AM »
Congratulations on the new saber - it looks awesome. Thanks for the review and pics - one quick question - if you get a chance could you weigh the empty hilt and let me know how much it comes in at?

Offline lset

• No Force
  • In balance, find peace
« Reply #190 on: May 07, 2017, 01:48:59 PM »
Thanks for the notes about comparing it to a vintage, nice to get someone's opinion on it :)

I weighed it this evening MikeyX, it comes in at 361 grams (see pic below). That's completely empty without the glass eye, clamp card etc.

Offline IceSaber

• Experienced Force User
  • Midi-chlorians..
« Reply #191 on: May 08, 2017, 03:13:23 AM »
I'm curious, how much does the 2.0 weigh?

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
  • Star Wars collector in the UK.
« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2017, 12:59:25 PM »
Thanks for weighing it lset - that's a good weight for a SS version - I was wondering if it might end up heavier than that.

I'm curious, how much does the 2.0 weigh?

It's not a fair comparison but a Graflex 2.0 with everything attached including grips, and with the blade holder installed (but no sound or light installation) is 510 grams. without the blade holder internals, grips etc. it comes in around 300g.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:01:11 PM by MikeyX »

Offline lset

• No Force
  • In balance, find peace
« Reply #193 on: May 18, 2017, 12:42:32 AM »
It's not a fair comparison but a Graflex 2.0 with everything attached including grips, and with the blade holder installed (but no sound or light installation) is 510 grams. without the blade holder internals, grips etc. it comes in around 300g.

With the grips and blade holder this now comes in at 530g. The overall body seems heavier but the grips and BH might be a bit lighter in comparison.

Offline Ridire Fíréan

• Force User
  • Up&down&around the bend a Jedi's story never ends
« Reply #194 on: June 11, 2017, 09:37:48 AM »
Hey @lset !  Thank you for posting up all those photos!

Do you have any pictures of the red button's shoulder (on the tube) with the red button unscrewed and swung out of the way looking straigt down on it?  We were discussing the differences between the Roman's and a GRAFLEX the other day on TheRPF.  I'm curious to see how the JQSabers SS variant turned out!

From your pics the Glass Eye and the Kobold Clip look a bit more like aluminum than stainless.  Maybe it's just that they're photographed away from the rest of the hilt?  Do they appear to be the same color/material when they're held up against the stainless tube?

retrousse