fiduciary

Author Topic: Slothfurnace's 'Derelict' - Finish pics, and video link  (Read 23856 times)

Offline ElbE121

• Force User
  • Snowboarding addict
Re: slothfurnace's 'Derelict'
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 10:10:12 AM »
your work is always amazing!  Can't wait to see this saber finished.

Offline Torinn Zoler

• Formerly known as Ben Skywalker
  • Master Force User
  • I ain't seen it all, but I've sure seen alot of it
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 01:52:46 PM »
I always enjoy reading your threads, sloth! ;D Can't wait to see how this one turns out! ;)

"Turning the whole world Luxeon-lit, one shattered lightbulb at a time."

Offline Gabywan

• Master Force User
  • Que nunca muera el niƱo que llevamos adentro...
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 12:44:47 PM »
You have the gift in your hands, this hilt is awesome!!
Congrat!!

Offline Akaius

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 12:01:57 AM »
WOW man Just WOW!!   :o  Really diggin this one. :)

Offline Forcestruck

• Master Force User
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 07:47:36 PM »
So any progress on this beauty? I know you are working on the double-bladed saber but this one ranks right up there on my all-time favorites.

Offline Master Dai Bendu

• Master Force User
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 09:04:50 PM »
Very nice design. That is indeed a real Graflex upper section. If I am not mistaken it is an older model than was used for Luke's saber (late '30s to early '40s)

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 08:48:39 PM »
So any progress on this beauty? I know you are working on the double-bladed saber but this one ranks right up there on my all-time favorites.

Oh yeah, sorry... I have had some progress on this saber....

I decided to install the graflex clamp lever I have into the new TCSS box...

I drilled a hole through the side of the TCSS box, and a larger hole on the otherside for the thinned nut.

It makes the saber feel more "original trilogy"   Which is what I am going for.

Here's a shot of the freshly painted middle ribbed section. I wanted to enhance the contrast between the graflex shroud and the middle area, to bring out the curves more. I may weather this down a bit some. I also need to cut a hole for the AV switch for the box.

A little work on the emitter, made from found pieces and a chunk of steel I dished and polished to mirror smooth so it reflects the blackened metal gear piece I have around the machined brass LED holder.

I like the way the outer steel piece reflects the grooves in the gear.

Last night I decided to widen the switchbox slot  a bit on the Milling machine.  Much easier to true it all up with that as opposed to using files and whatnot.

I also milled a slot for the back grip section screw, threaded the hole for that, and installed a black dome screw.  Also found some black oxide hex cap screws to mount the switchbox on with.  I had to mill out underneath the switchbox enough of a hole to fit the AV switch.

The PC-U installed finally, and a spare white LED for now.  A red LedEngin on the way for this one.

I also found a CB Radio cable plug ferrule that fits the threading of the graflex, and really simulates the "red button" enclosure.  This will be my blade retention knob.

A shot with the lever and such installed. I'll need to shorten a few screws next, as I've had to put spacers in so the front box screw and the rear grip screw don't push too far into the electronics and whatnot.

Got my red Ledengins in today!  a quick 5 minute install, and it's cooking red.  I can't tell you how different it looks in person, it's BRIGHT.  At least at the base.   It gets dimmer towards the tip, meh.

I'd take a pic of the whole blade, but I am still pretty unimpressed with the tip illumination.  Perhaps when I get the narrower degree lens, it will look better.
The blade is a regular TCSS show blade, the lens is ... I dunno, something I had laying around for a while.  Not sure what it is.

I have a 5 degree lens and such coming from Tim, so we'll see if that helps a bit.  Also I am using stock LED settings for the PC-U.  Az suggests I crank up the power, so I'll do that and have a look.  For now, here's a wide shot.

This one is close to being done, a few minor details and it will be wrapped up.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 08:53:27 PM by slothfurnace »

Offline Green Ranger

• Formerly known as Darth Payne
  • Master Force User
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 08:57:57 PM »
I love this! You did an excelellent job keeping this saber from looking like just another version of the Starkiller. Amazing looking saber  8)

Let me know when your ready to sell it  ;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 08:59:38 PM by Darth Payne »

Offline newmanhyde

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 09:36:43 PM »
Seeing your sabers, always make me feel like dumping my collection. Great stuff.

Offline Ducos Rossis

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 10:21:21 PM »
this saber conveys everything you were trying to get across! great work as always sloth!

Offline Sandpeople are people too

• Once made Darth Vader Chuckle
  • Master Force User
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 09:48:43 PM »
"It makes the saber feel more "original trilogy"   Which is what I am going for."

It looks like it would be right at home there- I has the subtle detail that would work as a signature hilt.  I especially like the detailing on the emitter- the thin stripes gives it a "Deco" feel that I'm fond of.  Impressive as always. 

Offline ShrikeArghast

• No Force
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 03:35:25 PM »
It's like Anakin and Obi-Wan's sabers hit the bar one night, and a month or so later Obi-Wan's saber started experiencing morning sickness! I mean, seriously, it's like the awesome, love-child of one-time-budies-gone-hardcore-foes. I really like it!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 12:56:35 PM by ANAKIN SKYWALKER »

Offline jetsaber

• Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2011, 04:12:02 PM »
 8) 8)  Slothfurnace : Will you be adding a Crystal where the Bunny ears were ?

Offline Terias

• Force User
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2011, 04:50:47 PM »
Simply stunning sir

Offline Jedi Loreen

• Force User
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2011, 07:20:57 PM »
8) 8)  Slothfurnace : Will you be adding a Crystal where the Bunny ears were ?
How would that work  ???, since the bunny ears were at the emitter end. Where the blade goes...

I wasn't sure about the concept at first, putting several parts of different OT sabers together, but the way they are combined really works. I've really liked this saber from the start of you constructing it.
In order to see the Light
You must sometimes risk the Dark

retrousse