fiduciary

Author Topic: Anyone knows a good video editor?  (Read 2555 times)

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
Anyone knows a good video editor?
« on: November 14, 2017, 08:01:34 AM »
Seems it's an epidemic. First photobucket wiped out years of visual documentation, now YouTube ceased to offer its video editor, which was nearly perfect for preparing videos for sharing.

Now I'm looking for a video editor I can use to edit my saber related videos, freeware preferred, with similar features as what YouTube offered:
- cut video
- overlay text on the screen
- make transitions with different effects
- mix in music (optional)

If anyone has an idea, thanks in advance!

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: Anyone knows a good video editor?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:45:46 AM »
I really like Vegas, the controls and quick keys are very intuitive and it has everything you need.  I was originally introduced to Vegas by a friend who worked for NBC and used the professional version, but for my purposes the consumer product does everything I need.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:46:50 AM »
You could try OpenShot, it's got more bugs than an anthill, but it's free and open-source.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 05:16:46 AM »
You could try OpenShot, it's got more bugs than an anthill, but it's free and open-source.

Lol! You made my day!  :cheesy:

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 05:17:30 AM »
I really like Vegas, the controls and quick keys are very intuitive and it has everything you need.  I was originally introduced to Vegas by a friend who worked for NBC and used the professional version, but for my purposes the consumer product does everything I need.

Thanks Jason, in fact someone else already suggested Vegas, but I though it was a joke. Now I know it's really a software :)

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 12:41:53 PM »
I use an older free program called VirtualDub.  It only works with AVI files but you can use the free programs Super or Handbrake to convert AVIs to other "containers" such as MP4 and MKV once you are done editing them.  If you decide to use VirtualDub, you may also want to download additional codecs and plug-ins for it.  Such as the AC3 plug-in, an MP3 codec, the Lagarith codec, XviD, etc.  I also recommend installing ffdshow so that you can open MP4 files (by choosing to open files of type "FFMpeg supported files".  I use VirtualDub and QuickTime Pro (has to be the paid-for Pro version of QuickTime to be useful for editing) to edit almost all of my video files.  I hope that helps.

retrousse