fiduciary

Author Topic: LEGACY – The Killer Penny tribute run  (Read 44505 times)

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
LEGACY – The Killer Penny tribute run
« on: February 21, 2014, 12:29:42 PM »
'Killer Penny'  Mention that name in these parts and people know exactly what you are talking about.

Back in 2007, I completed the original Killer Penny and delivered it personally to Corbin Das to show off at Celebration IV in Los Angeles.  This saber was unique from the moment it appeared in the community.  All brass and copper material, CNC machined entirely on a mill – no lathe involved.  It was one of the earliest sabers to use the Luxeon V LED, and was powered by Li-ion batteries driving a Corbin Das PWM board.  If there is a 'grandaddy' of sabers, the Killer Penny might just be that saber.

I have been asked repeatedly over the years to duplicate this saber – but out of respect for Corbin, I have always refused.   Recently, Corbin decided to give the Killer Penny an upgrade with considerable changes both internally and externally.  After some PM's I received, it got me thinking and I approached Corbin with a proposal.  Since the original Killer Penny has now been changed, would he be willing to let me offer a very limited run of 'Legacy' sabers that were based on the original Killer Penny design.  After a slew of emails and a phone call, we reached an agreement.

I am proud to announce a very limited 13 saber run of LEGACY.

These will be copper and brass construction like the original Killer Penny but will have some minor differences.  First, I cannot get the antique fluted brass tube and endcap, so I will machine replicas as close as I can.  Second, in as much as the subsequent K3GR1 run was based on the original Killer Penny models I made, this LEGACY run is a essentially a unique version of the K3GR1 that is dressed out to resemble the original Killer Penny.  As per Corbin's wishes, some of the design features of the original Killer Penny will not be incorporated into this version.  Namely, the Covertech knob is no longer a switch and the weight reduction cutouts have been eliminated.  I have made some of my own updates to allow modern tech to be used.  Overall, the external looks will be nearly identical.

All sabers will be offered as empty only.  I am not offering installs, nor will I be arranging installs through my 'usual' contacts.  Installs will be entirely up to you.  You can use any soundboard, battery solution, speaker, etc. you want.  There are some limitations on switches and LED – this is due to how the saber is designed.  The saber is designed to use the Tri-Rebel type LED with 10507 optic.  You can use a different optic package, but you will need to figure out how to fit it in the saber.  I will supply switches with each saber, it's up to you if you want to use them or not.

Price for one empty saber is $1425.00 (plus paypal fees).  A non-refundable deposit of $600.00 will need to be made to secure material (because, if you haven't noticed, copper and brass are not cheap these days).  When the sabers are finished, I will require final payment plus shipping costs be made.

The original Killer Penny lacked sound, and as such – sound holes.  Tech has also come a long way since then.  To this end, I am offering a few options you can get with the saber.

First - sound holes.  I will add sound holes to the pommel end cap for those who want them.  This is the only place I will offer them, and the pictured pattern is the only way I will offer them.  Take this option or you will need to make you own sound holes.

Second – PLI switch.  The original Killer Penny had a switch mounted in the PLI box to turn on the battery level PLI.  If you want to use the switch here, I will cut the slot, supply the switch and machine the delrin spacer to accept the switch.  Otherwise, this area will be left solid.  The grip will be machined under the box for the switch and PLI slot – this is not an option to change.

Third – RICE port.  As I mentioned before, the original Killer Penny had the on-off switch in the Covertech knob.  On LEGACY, the standard Covertech will be a static knob to replicate the original looks.  However, I will include parts to add a RICE port inside the Covertech if you want this option.

Fourth – Two switches.  I will supply parts so you can add one or two switches to the forward switch box.

Fifth – Covertech location.  Corbin is left handed and asked that the covertech be located at the ‘9 o’clock’ position to suit his needs.  I can place it in it’s designed location, 180 degrees opposite, or 90 degrees opposite in either direction (either in line with the boxes or opposite of them). 

Sixth – PLI box.  I will either cut the slot per the original design in the box for the PLI/bargraph or I will leave it solid.  I will not cut any custom sized or shape slot.  You may want to have your RICE in the box and make a half-round bargraph, or just have a solid box.  The choice will be up to you.  In either case, I will not cut out a slot in the delrin spacer below the brass box top.  This will allow you greater flexibility in setting up whatever you choose to do in the box.

These are the only options I am offering.  I will need to know your choices on some of the options but for the other options, they are just extra parts included so you can do what you want.  There are no extra charges for these options.  There are no other options available, nor will I be offering any 'custom' work on these sabers.

All sabers will come 'machine finish'.  I am not offering polishing or weathering – that is up to you.

As I mentioned before, this will be a 13 saber run.  There are a few spots that were offered to select individuals first.  The remaining 8 slots will be divided evenly between FX-SABERs Forum members and Imperial Royal Arms Forum members (in a thread to be posted on that forum). 

As if this saber was legendary enough already, Corbin and I will be offering special perks, goodies, and maybe a contest or two over the course of the run.  Just to keep things fun.

Now, because there are only 4 spots available here on the FX-SABERs Forum, I will be do something a little different to try and bring some fairness about allotting the spots.  If you want a spot, post here in this thread that you are interested.  I will leave this thread open for 48 hours and then close it.  I will do some sort of lottery to pick names randomly.  If you are picked, you will have 24 hours to pay your deposit.  If you do not pay, I will proceed to the next person and so on until all 4 spots are filled. 

The list will be 'soft' closed at midnight on Sunday February 23, 2014.  If there are more than 4 people who have expressed interest, then we will go ahead with the lottery to pick names and fill the spots.  If we do not reach 4 slots, the list will stay open a while longer until 4 spots are filled.  Do not send payment unless I contact you and ask for your down payment please.

1.  WAT TAMBOR - I got this covered
2.  Corbin Das - paid
3.  GENERAL GREIVOUS - paid
4.  JANGO FETT - paid
5.  LUMINARA UNDULI - paid
6.  Darth Smorgis - paid in full (less fees and shipping)
7.  Pfockerchief - paid
8.  Sanjuro - paid
9.  Aginor - paid
10.  Juansith - paid
11.  basalter - paid
12.  ANAKIN SKYWALKER
13.  OBI-WAN KENOBI - paid

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:47:34 AM by WAT TAMBOR »

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
Re: LEGACY – The Killer Penny tribute run
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 12:58:11 PM »
"I WANT IN, SIGN ME UP"
I have waited for this day for a long time.

If I am lucky enough to make the cut, this saber will most likely find its way to MH for electronics.

To everyone else...
~you don't want this saber~
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 01:39:54 PM by Darth Smorgis »

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 01:45:05 PM »
Now this is what I call EPIC

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Pfockerchief

• Master Force User
  • (Fa-ker-chief)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 01:51:07 PM »
Holy mother of all EPICness!!!

I,M IN!!!!
Yoda Vintage GFIV, GFV
LDM Obi Bronzium Reveal
LDM MKVI ROTJ PC2 V2 #27
SP/LDM Sid
SJ Obi Romans Reveal
GCS CF6 CEX Asc#14/PC2 Asc AE/Custom Badaxx
OR Adi-Galia CF6
VV Luke Hero/Tempest/Wraths

Offline Sanjuro

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Sanjuro Systems
    • Sanjuro Systems
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 02:16:46 PM »
In please.

Respectfully,
Sanjuto
SANJURO SYSTEMS - Custom Lightsaber Stands, Custom Chassis Disks for Lightsaber builds, and other related items.

My Business - Home

Japan Lightsaber Dueling Guild, Founding Member

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 02:19:17 PM »
I have butterflies in my stomach just thinking about making the list.
I say the first person from each forum to express interest is automatically in  ;D

Question...
If more than 4 people want on the list then it is obvious that some will not make it.  At that time will we be allowed to get on the list over at IRA as well, to increase our chances in the lottery?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 02:26:26 PM by Darth Smorgis »

Offline Darkjedi

• Master Force User
  • I love Star Wars so much ,I married her!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 02:19:39 PM »
 :o  :o :'( :'( :(

Dang I didn't win the powerball!

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 03:14:38 PM »
Question...
If more than 4 people want on the list then it is obvious that some will not make it.  At that time will we be allowed to get on the list over at IRA as well, to increase our chances in the lottery?

I don't know - let me check with Corbin and see what his thoughts are.

I asked Corbin and neither of us really care if you 'express interest' on both forums.  Corbin and I will decide what happens when the 'soft close' happens and we start setting the order for contacting people.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 04:13:13 PM by WAT TAMBOR »

Offline Corbin_Das

• Force User
  • Keeper of the Killer Penny
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 07:17:54 PM »
Hi guys and gals

I look forward to seeing this run progress and people getting their very own Penny. I never thought this saber was going to be so admired by the saber community as it is. Honestly, back in 2006, I was just trying to design the best saber I could for me.  :)) It's cool though that it somehow struck a chord with a lot of folks. Not sure how that happened, but I'm glad it did.

This is a question I might best pose towards those getting a saber, but I'd be interested in hearing opinions from everyone.....

What type of other goodies would you like to see available for purchasers of the saber? A custom saber stand? A plaque (possibly signed by Erik and me)? An exclusive blade plug maybe? A special sound font? I'm open to ideas.

Corbin

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 07:33:58 PM »
What type of other goodies would you like to see available for purchasers of the saber? A custom saber stand? A plaque (possibly signed by Erik and me)? An exclusive blade plug maybe? A special sound font? I'm open to ideas.

Corbin

All of that sounds good.  But for me personally, it will be enough just to own this saber.  I also don't know if I will be able to add much more cost on top of what it will already be costing me for the hilt.
Minumum, I would have to say an awesome blade plug would be in order.  But that is just me.

I am just honored at the chance to own this saber for myself.
I am counting down the hours.

Offline Pfockerchief

• Master Force User
  • (Fa-ker-chief)
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 07:58:18 PM »
Corbin I'm thinking that a saber of this quality deserves a stand of similar regard.  Perhaps tron can help work some of his magic with a copper/nickel matching stand or some other exotic material that he seems to get his hands on.

Couple other ideas could be...

An exploded view graphic revealing the different parts of the saber and perhaps a bit of interpretation on what the inside would hold? 

A display box of some sort that matches?  Think metal not wood.

Custom kill key for future upgrades?
Yoda Vintage GFIV, GFV
LDM Obi Bronzium Reveal
LDM MKVI ROTJ PC2 V2 #27
SP/LDM Sid
SJ Obi Romans Reveal
GCS CF6 CEX Asc#14/PC2 Asc AE/Custom Badaxx
OR Adi-Galia CF6
VV Luke Hero/Tempest/Wraths

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 10:01:56 PM »
Epic indeed.   ^-^

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 10:08:31 PM »
For some of you newer folks...do your research on this, and learn what you can about this saber...and get in on the run!! This is EPIC!!!

Offline Dark Navel

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 10:34:19 PM »
The Killer Penny is one of the best known if not the best known sabers out there.  This was/is one of the most famous, coveted lightsabers ever produced and was EPIC when it was released.  If you don't know about this work of art let's just say it is the Holy Grail of lightsabers folks.

If you are one of the lucky few to actually get one of these it will truly be a blessing.  This is the crème of the crop, top dog, hands down one of the best lightsabers ever produced.

Epic, Epic you say?  Yeah, this one? This one is EPIC.

Offline Corbin_Das

• Force User
  • Keeper of the Killer Penny
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 12:25:57 AM »
Corbin I'm thinking that a saber of this quality deserves a stand of similar regard.  Perhaps tron can help work some of his magic with a copper/nickel matching stand or some other exotic material that he seems to get his hands on.

Couple other ideas could be...

An exploded view graphic revealing the different parts of the saber and perhaps a bit of interpretation on what the inside would hold? 

A display box of some sort that matches?  Think metal not wood.

Custom kill key for future upgrades?

Cool ideas. I'm not sure how many folks would want to pay the cost of a saber stand made from some of those exotic alloys, but having seen the material in person, it WOULD BE EPIC. Tron made me a brass and copper stand a few months back. This doesn't really show it well, but you get the idea. I love it.

I really like the exploded view graphic idea. If the internals were shown, should it be more realistic or more what one would expect to see if it were from the Star Wars Universe? Either would be cool though.

I have two versions of a base hum sound I was intending to have made into a custom font for the original Penny. I'd be willing to have someone (or a few someones) play with it to develop a Killer Penny sound font, if anyone is interested. Maybe a dark side and a light side version?

retrousse