fiduciary

Author Topic: Modifying Saber Fonts?  (Read 2993 times)

Offline RenegadeFury

• No Force
  • Thundercats HO!
    • Who IS Jareth Dakk?
Modifying Saber Fonts?
« on: October 23, 2012, 02:51:04 PM »
I've already bought a few saber fonts, but I know that once I get sound hooked up on my current build http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=38056.0, I will want something different than whats out there, if only because this weapon has more parts than a saber. I want to maybe combine a font with a few more sounds, but I've never really done this before. The closest I've come was doing a little voice recording and splicing using Audacity.

Was just wondering if someone could clue me in to what app(s) are generally used and/or any online resources?

I might be willing to pay someone to do this FOR me as well.
~Matt Shields

The Five Heroic Truths

Life is conflict.

Conflict is ambition.

Ambition is opposed, but ambition can overcome opposition.

Achievement of ambition creates more energy than it consumes.

Conflict is eternal but can be mastered.

@MattIsWriting

Offline MACE WINDU

• Formerly known as Nightstorm
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Do you have a problem with purple?
Re: Modifying Saber Fonts?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 03:02:05 PM »
Audacity isn't bad...and it has the advantage of being free.  I personally use SoundForge 9 by Sony.  It's not free, but its one heck of a powerful app.  What kind of modifications did you have in mind?

Offline Master Valon

• Master Force User
  • "Love can ignite the stars."- Matthew Stover
Re: Modifying Saber Fonts?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 03:04:11 PM »
Well, the biggest hurdle will be all the mixing involved in that. IMO, you are MUCH better off trying to make your own, new sound font, because each individual SF is going to have a different hum, and as you swing and clash the saber, you will hear a very audible change in the pitch. So you are much better off trying to fabricate something new (honestly isn't too difficult to grasp, just very labor intensive/time consuming.....I mean, I, of all people, made a semi-nice sounding font based on the band Rush....it wasn't a finished product, but it was okay for only taking me like two hours to make.). Just rip some audio from the dvds, or find some generic sampling off youtube SFX compilations, etc, into Audacity. There, you can alter the pitch, speed, tempo, etc....also, you can get creative with heavily altering other sounds (original hum was a modified 8mm projector combined with feedback loops). Audacity's the only program I used. The biggest tip I can give is to make sure you match up the waveform of where the sound file starts and ends, so it doesn't sound choppy when the sound is played.
Though this is the end of the age of heroes, it has saved its best for last.

retrousse