fiduciary

Author Topic: How to hook up a Pololu momentary to latching board for MR board and buck puck  (Read 14631 times)

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
I did not find this little board but saw it posted by another member.  I bought some and have done some testing.  So far I have powered a MR board, buck puck, and a cheap hasbro board + P4 (using pololu board to power the p4 so there is no clash flash).  All with great success (well except for instant on and off with the hasbro combo).

Here is a link to the board  http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/750

There are two versions of the board so get the correct one for your application (I would go with LV on MR boards and SV on buck pucks).  If you just want to get one version I have tested the SV and it works down to 3V but not sure if it will cause it damage.

Here is a diagram I made to help out on hook up to a MR board.

Here it is for a puck (same picture but wiring text changed)

Hope this helps someone.

EDIT: I didn't mention one thing in the write up.  To use this in conjunction with a economy hasbro board (the new ones at least) you have to use a DPDT switch.  The hasbro board has one of its pins connected to ground so it messes up the function of the pololu board (makes it on all the time).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:22:39 AM by MH »

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
I think this deserves a sticky, or at least consolidated with the other thread.  This is too good to let drift... ;)

Offline Ari-Jaq Xulden

• Experienced Force User
First let me say great work. Second I have a question. you refer to using a dpdt switch for the economy boards. Is that a dpdt momentary or latching?
one could assume since you are attempting to use momentary switches since your goal is to drive the pololu. That being said, why, when ecoomy boards are already momentary. The reason I ask is I was hoping you might have found a way to hook up a economy board with a latching switch in order to run a parallel circuit to a driver board.Any chance we could maybe see a diagram of the economy board  with the pololu ?

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
First let me say great work. Second I have a question. you refer to using a dpdt switch for the economy boards. Is that a dpdt momentary or latching?
one could assume since you are attempting to use momentary switches since your goal is to drive the pololu. That being said, why, when ecoomy boards are already momentary. The reason I ask is I was hoping you might have found a way to hook up a economy board with a latching switch in order to run a parallel circuit to a driver board.Any chance we could maybe see a diagram of the economy board  with the pololu ?
What MH is referring to is using the pololu board to run a latching latching separate circuit for running the led without powering it from the Hasbro toy sound board.  This would eliminate the need for using the PNP transistor method,  or the relay method for powering your main led, if you didn't want to go that route.  This wouldn't be necessary with a driver board for the led,  either,  since most of them are available in momentary configurations,  simply requiring a DPDT momentary switch,  and no pololu board.

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
Wow I missed your reply on the 30th.  Sorry about that.

Qui Gon Jinn covered it.

but I want to clarify why I state you have to use a DPDT for what I was talking about...
Lets say you want to run a puck or just straight voltage to an LED by using the pololu board but also want to run the economy board for sound you would have to use a DPDT momentary switch.  The reason is because different boards use different methods to activate it (some connect ground, others may connect voltage etc).  If you try to just hook all that to one switch it will not work correctly so you have to separate the circuit of both.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 11:12:47 AM by MH »

Offline Darksaber 3

• Master Force User
Hey guys, I have a question related to this... I am wiring up a stunt using a resistor, and I am using one of these boards with a momentary AV switch. I am just wondering how you would wire that? I put a positive and negative where the + and - from the buckpuck should go, but that didn't do it... Any advice?

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
put the - of the LED to the - of the board (along with battery - ).  Put the + from the battery to the Vin of the board and put the Vout of the board to the + of the LED.

put your resistor on any of the leads (if on the + put it after the board not before).

« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 03:01:46 PM by MH »

Offline Darksaber 3

• Master Force User
put the - of the LED to the - of the board (along with battery - ).  Put the + from the battery to the Vin of the board and put the Vout of the board to the + of the LED.

put your resistor on any of the leads (if on the + put it after the board not before).

Ok, umm.. which one is the - of the board? Just the GND?

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
I believe MH added the diagram to the first post which may help you.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:22:48 PM by LUMINARA UNDULI »

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Darksaber 3

• Master Force User
He did? I can't see it.. I still only see the MR board and Buckpuck ones... and it says the first post hasn't been modified since april... Am I missing something?

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
Nope, my bad.  I should have read your request more clearly ::).

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Darksaber 3

• Master Force User
Ahh, ok. I thought I was blind for a second... And I just can't figure out which is the (-) on the board. I put the resistor on the (-) from the LED, and have the LED - and battery - hooked together... I just need to put them both on the board, and then put the switch leads to the switch, and I'll be done... Now, time for some trial and error, I think, unless I hear for sure on here from someone who has some experiance with this.

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
Ahh, ok. I thought I was blind for a second... And I just can't figure out which is the (-) on the board. I put the resistor on the (-) from the LED, and have the LED - and battery - hooked together... I just need to put them both on the board, and then put the switch leads to the switch, and I'll be done... Now, time for some trial and error, I think, unless I hear for sure on here from someone who has some experiance with this.

OK - means ground or gnd (if you read the diagram it says put the - of the batty to the gnd pad).

There are 4 pads.  They are all connected so put the battery - on one pad, then another pad to the LED - (or to resistor then LED).

I would not put them together then put them on the board because its a thicker connection and more likely to fail.  I always rather put one wire to one connection if possible (its not always possible though).

Good luck.

Offline Wickedreamz

• Experienced Force User
This is exactly what i was looking for...thanks

retrousse