fiduciary

Author Topic: Tips on getting into statues and figures  (Read 5344 times)

Offline Dimes

• Experienced Force User
  • Formerly known as JMurphy
Tips on getting into statues and figures
« on: March 20, 2015, 04:55:19 PM »
Hey guys,

Looking for a merch fix, and so as I start to look around I wanted to ask for some tips on what I should look for. Not looking to 'invest' for future value of or anything, more just things that best represent the 'likeness' of their actual counterparts (so things that just look awesome and 'realistic'). I'm also looking for the newer stuff as well, so not so much vintage.

Money is a bit of a limiter (looking at $30-100), so i'd like to keep things on the cheaper side (just your more standard statues and figures), but even the more expensive stuff i'd just keep bookmarked for later.

I guess i'm asking to find out what some of the better manufactures are? Especially with figures, like is sideshow collectables the better way to go? Also what are some of the better 'series' of figures'?

Like for example Iv'e been looking at here:
Star Wars | Product Categories | Just Collectables

The above might be 'lower end' (which is fine) but it can be hard to figure out whats decent and what isn't based on simply looking online.

Sorry if i'm being pretty long winded, i'm just trying to figure out what I should be looking at, and what I should avoid (when it comes to buying statues and figures).

Any pointers would be grand!

Thanks guys :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 06:51:13 PM by Dimes »
Of Course I know him, he's me!

Offline 97th Acolyte

• Master Force User
  • [insert witty comment here]
Re: Tips on getting into being statues and figures
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 05:40:06 PM »
I'd go Kotobukiya ArtFX range. Good selection, decent price. They look kickass as well. Sideshow, are more expensive, however you get what you pay for.

Its all personal preference. I prefer Statues (No/little articulation) so I can't really speak about them. I can say the Kotobukiya stuff is good. Sideshow is also good. Gentle Giant and Attakus also look pretty good. I think Bombarta here has at least a couple of ArtFX and Sideshow things, plus other members might too.

It's a good point about online. I'd say if you can, try and get to comic book shops or something... I saw the Darth Maul ArtFX Ukiyo-E statue and bought it there and then.

The Black Series are decent, cheap figures if you're looking for that. :)
Proud owner of:       JSK1 - Jaina Solo Kotobukiya lightsaber - created by Bombarta
Harp's Starkiller/Kylo Ren fusion - Prizm                      
Deadpool's Deathstick - CS2.5 Reveal, JQsabers               
JK-Sabers Battle damaged/Reveal Maul - Empty             
US Raven
Korbanth:
 Darth Maul - Empty
 Duke - NBv2, JQSabers
 Qui Gon - NBv2, MasterSabers

Offline Dimes

• Experienced Force User
  • Formerly known as JMurphy
Re: Tips on getting into being statues and figures
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 06:49:50 PM »
Once again thanks 97th!

You just summed up my last couple hours of research, haha. I pretty much landed on Kotobukiya for statues and the 2014 black series for figures. Also got the 'Darth vader in a box' as a back up, in the case that I can't budget for a Koto ArtFX.

I'll chase up the local stores and see what they have, but i'll also check out gentle giant and attakus as well!

Thanks dude, the search continues!
Of Course I know him, he's me!

Offline Katarn

• Experienced Force User
Re: Tips on getting into statues and figures
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 11:29:18 AM »
The 6 inch black series is perfect for me. Like minature poseable statues. However this late in the game, the core figures from the first few waves are quite pricey. Luke in pretty much any outfit, boba fett, vader, maul, artoo... all average about $50 each on the resale market. At that point, its reasonable to jump on te much better japanee large figures from the likes of bandai and sh figuarts.
The forums on rebelscum and youtube reviews are very helpful as well.
Happy hunting!
Korbanth LS6 Hero PC 1.6 conversion by LDM (next best thing to the MkVI)
TCSS MHS #1 "Coppertop"
Vintage Graflex ANH

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 12:55:16 PM »
97thacolyte is spot on.

Also look for gentle giant half busts, most can be had for under  $100
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline onigiri34

• Experienced Force User
  • Swoosh Swoosh that's the sound of the saber!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 01:03:45 PM »
MAFEX is better than the Black Series, so are the SH Figuarts 6 inch that are coming out. Black Series is cheaper though, it all depends on your budget. The SideShow General Grevious, which I own is one of the coolest Star Wars statue ever made. Sideshow's sixth scale figures (newer ones) are very much worth the money if you want the top of the line. I will say that the MAFEX vader that just came out,, is probably the best 6inch vader you can buy, from quality, look, adjustable cape, accessories and articulation.

Offline 97th Acolyte

• Master Force User
  • [insert witty comment here]
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 01:36:03 PM »
Yeah, Gentle Giant busts are cool too. :)

There's also Nendoroid Stormtroopers (OT and TFA) and Darth Vader, which are just too cute. xD
Proud owner of:       JSK1 - Jaina Solo Kotobukiya lightsaber - created by Bombarta
Harp's Starkiller/Kylo Ren fusion - Prizm                      
Deadpool's Deathstick - CS2.5 Reveal, JQsabers               
JK-Sabers Battle damaged/Reveal Maul - Empty             
US Raven
Korbanth:
 Darth Maul - Empty
 Duke - NBv2, JQSabers
 Qui Gon - NBv2, MasterSabers

Offline Katarn

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 09:06:11 AM »
Oh yeah i forgot about 12ninch scale. I have a few sideshow figures and i love the "mixed media" the soft goods add a good feeling of realism.
And a step up from sideshow is hot toys. I had a hot toys iron man and just... WOW.
And their new star wars stuff is incredible. I would love to to pick up the core ot characters in 12 inch scale.
There was a collaboration that came out a while back, they did like an ultimate luke bespin, came with two uniforms to create either clean or battle damaged, and a weather vein to dangle him from. It was expensive when it came out, and im sure it is worth insane amounts now.
12 inch are really the holy grail scale collectables for me. Just dont have the money or space . :cry:

Onigiri i also agree mafex stuff is excellent. Japan is doing amazing things with star wars figures. I just wish we had easier access here in the US. So for me, habro meets my requirements with price and availabilty. Well, ymmv on the second part lol need rey and phasma!
Korbanth LS6 Hero PC 1.6 conversion by LDM (next best thing to the MkVI)
TCSS MHS #1 "Coppertop"
Vintage Graflex ANH

Offline oswaldkefo

• Force User
  • aka MandaloreLives
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 12:46:48 AM »
I have got a pretty decent collection of Gentle Giant SW busts (and one statue :cheesy:) I gotta say, they are gorgeous. Personally I prefer to focus on the OT and my favorites from the EU. You can grab them on eBay for pretty decent prices depending which statues you want. Only real issues IMO is box storage, and that the future of GG SW merch looks pricing and slow.

In addition to busts and sabers I also like autographs. Not the ones you buy online but when you meet the character at a convention. It gives it a real personal connection to your collection as well as makes it more unique.

Also the Rebelscum forums would be a good place to start gathering more information. They have boards devoated to all different SW merch with review and classified sections for them. They cover Sideshow, vintage, GG and a bunch more.

I hope you find the collectibles you are looking for!

I came here to conquer the galaxy and drink milk...and I've finished my milk.

Offline vengeaus

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 07:08:34 PM »
How about playarts star wars figures? From the pictures, they look really nice, their armor probably looks better than the original ones (but that's just me)

Offline smcady

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 07:15:56 AM »
Anyone have the Maul? I almost snagged one on eBay but the shipping eta scared me away.

retrousse