fiduciary

Author Topic: Novastar and Caine's Saber Combat System "NCSCS" (1st COMPLETE System!)  (Read 61836 times)

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • NCSCS - Sabercombat.com
    • DIAMOND DRAGONS: Humans stand, heroes fall--but DRAGONS are *Forever*...
Re: Novastar and Caine's Staged Combat System (1st Complete System!)
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2011, 01:10:23 AM »
Thanks Kental... Midian... Jamo... Infernis!!!  :)

Keep it coming, guys!!  I mean seriously... I LIKE INPUT.

I'm pretty excited too, because... since I'm doing 90% of the editing here, it's looking really nice from my perspective.  :)  I really can barely even WAIT to "unleash" the overall system that will (hopefully?) make a lot of sense to people--especially if they are understanding this perspective:

"I'd like to improve on many levels... and I recognize that it takes YEARS to get good at most anything--saber combat/martial arts being no exception."

And finally, I'd love to see our system being generally adopted as some "excellent standards" for terminology, overall communication for targeting and expression of moves to others, and all that jazz.  :)

You'll see.  Tons of fun in store... and throngs of learning too.  For myself as well!
* Former creator and owner of SaberCombat
* CUSTOM SOUND FONT LIST --->
Click here for Nova's 100+ custom sound fonts!
* PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS ---> Click here for Nova's saber performance work...
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2011, 01:43:21 PM »
I just can't believe it's been almost a year since this whole thing was conceptualized. And many Thursdays and Fridays of Nova and I meeting....sabers breaking....camera's either jacking up or batteries dying....injuries (not saber related, tho) and other DRL stuff.  :o

Folks, this system is certainly a labor of love...but we feel you're gonna LOVE IT as much as us.

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2011, 05:43:23 PM »
We got together on Fridays?!?  lol
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline Kental

• No Force
« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2011, 07:58:57 PM »
shh, Nova that's what he's told his better half. Don't spoil it for him.  ;D there's a little darkside in him I've sensed it!

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2011, 01:42:15 PM »
So THAT'S why I wake up all "out of it" on Friday evenings, next to an empty whiskey bottle, laid out in cities I never remember driving to...

...and then there's always some chick named "Helen" leaving messages on my phone saying: "Good times, good times!!  Don't forget--you gotta return that skirt when you're done with it... see you & Caine next week..."

I'm like... ... (?).... (!!!??!?!?!)  wtf...?

;D

Click here.

Offline const

• No Force
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2011, 07:07:33 PM »
There is a Rebbecca Black Joke in here somewhere, but I'm not going to say it.

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2011, 06:30:08 AM »
UPDATE:

Things are going pretty AWESOMELY with the video editing!  As I probably mentioned before... no more Windows Movie Maker, I'm using a much more advanced video editor, and I have a LOT more control over it (even though there was/is the learning curve).  There are still bugs / limited crashes with it... but they are rare issues.

Color correction has been a bit maddening, as we've had:

* 2 Cameras in usage (each quite different in the image quality--I think Caine's is better, so I'm glad ~my~ cam finally broke, hahahah!!)
* 3 Facility / Lighting situations
* 1 or 2 odd circumstances that made matching things up a bit tough...

...but overall, if I just put the work in, the video from both cams and all lighting situations looks good.

Additionally, I've had a lot of issues with cropping things to fit, as I'm trying to go 720 x 480 (my cam rendered that), but Caine's cam is 640 x 480.

Overall though... everything is looking MUCH MORE FANTASTIC than I first imagined, and the only thing I *WISH* we could have done... was film everything in HD.  But either way I slice it (broken cam now or not)... I could not have afforded an HD cam back when we started... nor can I really afford it *right* now...

...but it'll come in due time after NCSCS Part 1 is released, come May 4th!

Click here.

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2011, 09:17:02 AM »
Yes, there IS a light at the end of the tunnel!  :D  And it's as bright as Nova's mutant Lux V!

Nova is doing an outstanding job at the editing, and folks I assure you this is going to be a top notch product. Everything about it certainly is cutting edge, and although CD 1 is going to be considered somewhat "basic" it's going to help all saberplayers improve their game, no matter what level of experience of martial arts, fencing, stage combat, etc. experience they have.

Keep those comment's comin'!

Offline Darth Inferis

• Master Force User
  • UK sabersmith
« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2011, 11:25:28 AM »
May the 4th? Excellent news! That should give my fiancèè & I enough time to choreograph & practise a dueling sequence for our Star Wars themed wedding on May 4th 2013. :D
Beware the Mark of the Gungan! :o

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2011, 04:31:50 PM »
Yes, there IS a light at the end of the tunnel!  :D  And it's as bright as Nova's mutant Lux V!

Nova is doing an outstanding job at the editing, and folks I assure you this is going to be a top notch product. Everything about it certainly is cutting edge, and although CD 1 is going to be considered somewhat "basic" it's going to help all saberplayers improve their game, no matter what level of experience of martial arts, fencing, stage combat, etc. experience they have.

Keep those comment's comin'!

There is actually a LOT of "advanced" stuff now that I'm seeing the overall picture with the editing!  :)  I mean, initially... both Caine and I were thinking, "Hmm... might be 'overly' basic, but... gotta start at the beginning"...

But when we get down to all the drills... extras... tricking... and even certain combat actions--they aren't "easy" by any means.  It will take some solid work for people to get a lot of this stuff done, practiced, mastered, etc.

I'm ESPECIALLY excited about a particular saber disarm we're showing--the footage not only looks *AWESOME*... it's about as practical (if it could be) a move as it can get for such an action.  Happens in about 1 to 2 units of time, so... it's about as close as you can get to a "realistic" disarm...

Not to mention our "Mythbusting" video.  God, it's hilarious.  And only more to come as more CDs / DVDs get released... +HD for future ones, most likely...

Click here.

Offline Darth Midian

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2011, 06:47:01 AM »
MAY 4TH!!! THATS AWESOME!!! ;D  That's right around the corner.  Do you guys have a price figured yet?  I'm just asking so I know how much to set aside.  Thank you, Darth Midian  :)

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2011, 02:15:38 AM »
Actually... d'ohh! ... to be honest, I've been scrambling so hard to edit everything... we haven't even discussed it!!!

Uh... I guess we better do that, lol.

Oh...

And... if at any time, we come off as TOO slick or TOO organized... let us know.  lol   ;D    :D

EDIT:

* Absolutely going to be a LightScribed DVD now!!  :)  Yay!  Not enough room on a CD anyhow, so... the decision was easy!!
* DVD Cover is looking FANTABULOUS!!  :)  Special thanks to Yoda for pretty much doing the front cover photo work!
* BECAUSE it's now a DVD media we're working off of... if I have time (not sure yet!!)... I'm going to try making this thing compatible as a "play it on your TV/DVD player" ~AND~ on your computer.  :)  We'll see...
* Caine and I will finally get a chance to meet tomorrow and NOT have to continue filming!!  This time, we can discuss the price, and keep everything moving along
* Video quality is looking pretty good with the AVC (advanced video compression) mpeg-style codec.  Actual file format is .AVI ... but that may not matter if you can't view such files, since I MIGHT try to make a DVD menu.  Again--we'll see.  Question of time now...

Well... I'm pretty excited about it... and busting my *BUUUMMMMMM* to get it all done in time!!  And Caine already grabbed up the DVDs & Cases we needed + bubble mailers to get them out to you guys... so we're in good standing to make the deadline fairly well.  :)

5/4/2011 is comin'... and that right SOON though!!!   ;D

--Nova
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:18:58 PM by Novastar »

Click here.

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2011, 01:19:36 PM »
Release teaser

SUPER BIG EDIT = Cleaned all this stuff up, big time!  :)  Lots has been going on... pardon the proverbial "dust"...
NOTE = Please note that I am starting to use "https", which helps you browse more securely--on ANY site if it's supported...

NCSCS
Novastar & Caine's Saber Combat System

Release announcement video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqduT_1eDiI

OVER **90 MINUTES** OF INSTRUCTIONAL CONTENT!!

* Saber Spins
* Staged Combat
* Saber Combat Forms
* Saber Sparring
* Footwork & Saber Drills
* Basic Martial Arts
* Basic "Tricking"
* MYTHBUSTING (!!)
* Special Extras

DEEZ EEZ NUTTZZZZ!!! There is over *NINETY* minutes of video content as tutorials, forms, instructional walkthroughs, demonstrations, examplers... all with some crazy awesome LED saber props!  In actuality, there will be more like 121+ minutes of video due to credits/"outros" and all that... but I don't count that toward the actual examplers, tutorials, etc.  This all adds up to say... I'll be burning at LEAST 3GB of data on these suckers, hahaha!  I just hope I don't go over the ~4gb that a DVD can store...

Brought to you (of course) by your friendly, neighborhood Novastar and the ever powerful & crafty Caine...

--"NovaCaine"

http://www.sabercombat.com ... will be the eventual "home" for NCSCS stuff... but it may simply direct us all toward a more dynamic and "social network driven" setup of webpages and tools:

FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_207717372582367

...which will eventually (hopefully) begin to "tie together" the saber combat communities all over the world, and attempt to unite saber combat / staged combat folks under a singular (YET CREATIVE & OPEN) system that truly works!

I cannot fully explain why our system (especially the notation aspects) is "worthy" of being a more definitive system vs. everyone just "doing whatever / their own thing"... but soon enough, you'll all find out.  Well... if you're interested in saber combat / choreography / dueling...  :)

If not, no worries... this ain't the thing for you!

--Novastar
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:46:47 PM by Novastar »

Click here.

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
Okay folks, if you are on Facebook, 'Like' our group, please!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_207717372582367&ref=notif&notif_t=group_activity

Offline DarkWalker

• Force User
  • I am the Ninja of the Saber world.
    • I have music on Newgrounds. Check me out ^^
where is this "like" button you talk about. i no see it XD.

I make songs. Check out some of my work. click the link in my profile to find out. thanks.

join the dark side.
we have crazy dance parties.

---coverted By HB

retrousse