fiduciary

Author Topic: Kyberlight review  (Read 11055 times)

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
  • Many tentacles the dark side has
    • My Youtube channel
Kyberlight review
« on: September 25, 2016, 06:57:17 PM »
I know this one will not be popular, since there is a lot of hate going around about this company, but I had one so I decided to give it a day in court. I cover the design, the features, the accessories, the electronics, and some talk on how it compares to other saber manufacturers. I tried to cover most of the things I have seen people asking and any design flaws I noted. One thing to keep in mind is that it is a low end features saber. You cannot compare it to some of the other products out there that offer so much more at a much greater cost. For what it is, I have been happy with it. I explain as much in the video. If you are still disposed to hate on the saber, at least you get to see the parts and internals without having to buy one. That is of some value I suppose. Hope it helps.
Kyberlight Lightsaber Review - YouTube

Offline Sithilis

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Kyberlight review
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 07:52:39 PM »
Do you mind me asking how much the set you bought cost?

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 08:19:05 PM »
It was $500 for everything in the picture and $10 extra for each of the day blades. Shipping was free. I got two sabers, two blades, and two of each accessory.

Offline JediWizard

• Master Force User
  • You cant have a droid Phil
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 06:40:17 AM »
i can t get over how dim the light is after all their talk of how much brigter theirs were compared to everyone else

Offline Sithilis

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 08:05:25 AM »
You get what you pay for.  How many places can you get 2 saber with sound and all those additional parts for 500 bucks.  Although I get you're point. But they wouldn't be the first company out there to claim having the brightest led on the market.

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 06:54:56 PM »
Still have yet to do the brightness thing but here is a video on weight and handling. Nothing fancy and a drop or two, but I was curious as to how the Kyberlight saber handled. The first section is a test of the Flash on Clash feature. I have to say, the more I use it, the more I tend to agree with people who have problems with the strobe like quality of this effect. Second section is a test of the on the fly color switching. Finger placement takes some getting used to, but once you get it, this feature works as advertised and is rather straightforward. The final section is a test of weight and balance. Again, nothing too fancy: just some flips and tosses and a couple rolls to see how it handled.

kyberlight Color, Flash, Weight, and Balance Test - YouTube

Overall handling reviews:

FOC sensitivity and effect - D

The FOC is very questionable, especially in the dark. It also has a tenancy to trigger on motion as well as on impact. OK for costumes and livable for performances, but I would disable it if I could.

Color Switching - B+

Basically, it is not the best on the fly color switching (that goes to a 3 button RGB) But it is far from the worst and does not require an auxiliary button.

Weight and handling - B

Handling is actually not bad. A bit heavy, but that has a lot to do with the configuration. Rotation is nice as the POB is right at the end of the emitter. Wish it had choke points, but the protruding emitter worked as a hand stop.

Sturdiness - C

The set screw did start to back out a bit by the end, which you will see me wondering about. I feel this was partly a tightening error on my part and partly an issue with a heavy emitter. It has not repeated in future tests. It sirvived the drops well enough, but that and the slight wobble in the color sleeve led to a C

Overall use - C+ to B-

Basically not bad, but not good. I would use it again because it is kind of fun to work with. For the big tricks, it is a bit clunky. For tight grip moves it is just fine, and for flips, it is heavy but rotates well. I was not expecting an A performance at this price point, but I might have liked a more solid B. The FOC is the main thing holding it back from that. Despite some other opinions, I find the brightness to be just fine. If one compares this video to some of my others taken in this same spot at this same time of night, you will see it is comparable to most other mass market sabers.

Hope this helps.

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 07:09:54 PM »
Here is that side by side I promised. I think this will make the brightness thing a bit more clear. It has a head to head brightness test of a Saberforge champion tier, an Ultrasabers Stunt, An Ultrasabers Emerald driver, and the Kyberlight from the video above. If you have any question on brightness or lack thereof after viewing it, let me know and I will see what I can do. Ultrasabers, Saberforge, Kyberlight: Which is brighter and by how much? -

retrousse