fiduciary

Author Topic: Custom-ish build on TCSS parts and some questions  (Read 2462 times)

Offline ChrisFields

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Custom-ish build on TCSS parts and some questions
« on: April 07, 2020, 07:41:25 AM »
Hello! Just posted in the new members section. And apologies if this in the wrong section (mods please move if it is) I'm building up a custom build based on some TCSS parts and doing a custom shroud for the emitter, a custom shroud/switch box section, and a custom pommel. I'm doing these out of stainless, mainly because i like the add weight, look, and feel of stainless, and durability.

My goal to make a saber that's a combo of all the sabers I love, and take parts or themes from those sabers and put them into mine. Hopefully it ends with a saber that could fit in to either the original, prequel, or sequel eras, but is still unique. My favorite sabers are Luke's and Obi Wan's thin neck, and mutli-metal colors, with the grenade sections and lower boxes. I also like the emitter style and shape of the graflex. For overall look and theme of sabers i prefer the prequel versions of Obi Wan's ep1 and ep2 saber and Qui Gon's saber. So hope this design captures what i'm trying to do.

I first did a quick 3d model on autocad and got the look and wieight roughly correct. Lets see jf the images work! :)

« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 08:16:21 AM by ChrisFields »

Offline ChrisFields

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Custom-ish build on TCSS parts and some questions
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 07:47:19 AM »
So I've got the base of each part machined up. Working on the box at some point this week. But here is where I'm at so far.

Offline ChrisFields

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 08:02:33 AM »
I'm also starting to work the details, like adding some pommel grooves and will have a few screws and thumbs screws in various parts. I also need to paint or chem film the emitter sections to a brass color like what's in the 3d model.

Offline ChrisFields

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 08:15:46 AM »
So ... electronics... my original plan was to pull out the electronics of an older saber forge hilt and use those. Sounds is good, i like the blade pulse or flicker options, and it's bright. ... Then i stumbled upon TCSS and this form, neo-pixel, smooth swing... etc etc... and there are so many amazing options now compared to a few years ago. So I'm not quite sure which route to take.

I will mainly use this saber at Galaxy's edge for night time fun, and maybe a few light saber stunt shows. We never hit hard though so I don't think i'd be worried about neo-pixel durability. I am however worried about neo-pixel battery life. At galaxies edge I could have the saber on for a decent amount of time through out the evening, and no way to charge it quick. I suppose i could carry and extra battery but I'd rather not change out batteries in the park. Curious on your guys opinion. I think i definitely want the smooth swing, but not sure i need neo-pixel. So what would be the best way for smooth swing and a bright blade set up that's not neo-pixel?

Other question i wanted to ask, is I was curious if anyone ever turned their electronics around and had the speaker facing the emitter, and vented the speaker sound up near the emitter prior to the LED or neo pixel connector. Having the sound at the bottom always bothered me (i know... nit-picky) but I would like it coming out near the emitter personally. Has anyone tried this? Any success? Thanks again for looking!

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 08:29:41 AM »
Ah, so that's where TCSS's last two ribbed extentions went. Dangit, I needed one of those :wink:

Okay, so I won't advise on sound boards. I will say that it is possible to have your speaker anywhere in the hilt. It's definitely been done before (lets face it, in a hobby as old as this one, almost every option you can think of has been tried at some point.)

But it complicates the design, because you've got to then work out where you're putting the speaker, where and how to work the wires going to your LED/neopixel blade around it, where you're going to put the sound vents on the hilt if not the pommel, and where you're going to put a resonance chamber so it doesn't sound completely crummy.
Better late than never.

Offline ChrisFields

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 08:39:46 AM »
I actually got those sections awhile ago. lol. I noticed they have the new sections that narrow down the grip section alittle. i got one of those and am playing with it. not sure if i like better or not. And yeah, I would vent the speaker by drilling some holes or small slots in the very upper V groove and maybe back it with some black mesh if needed. Or maybe just above that, closer to the emitter. I just need to make sure they are in a spot where my hands won't cover them up. lol. Thanks!

Offline ChrisFields

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 06:47:50 PM »
i Just noticed the CFX is back in stock on the TCSS.. but i haven't soldered or wired anything in years... hmm.... should i try?

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 07:39:07 AM »
I mean, if you're going to be in this hobby, you're going to need to solder stuff.

...I suppose you could just assemble a saber using only twist on wire nuts, but the guts of that would be a horror the likes of which I'd never want to see.
Better late than never.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 05:05:16 PM »
Other question i wanted to ask, is I was curious if anyone ever turned their electronics around and had the speaker facing the emitter, and vented the speaker sound up near the emitter prior to the LED or neo pixel connector. Having the sound at the bottom always bothered me (i know... nit-picky) but I would like it coming out near the emitter personally. Has anyone tried this? Any success? Thanks again for looking!
It has been done before,  our own GENERAL GRIEVOUS mastered the art of "Reverse Sound" years ago.  :wink: It takes some pre-planning but it's not terribly difficult to do. The biggest issue will be getting the wires for the blade around your speaker and hiding or disguising your sound vent holes.

Oh,  and you will need to solder wires to the CFX, so you may want to brush up on your soldering skills.  :wink:

EDIT:
Forgot to say this earlier....nice work on the shrouds/sleeves!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 05:11:28 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline ChrisFields

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 06:00:24 PM »
Thanks! :) Hope the overall aesthetic came across. And yeah. i think i even need to get a new solder station. mine has been in storage and just looked at it, and it's not in good shape. lol.

Offline ChrisFields

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 12:49:16 PM »
Not sure i like this gold color... Hmmm... I think i want a more brass color look.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 02:23:20 PM »
Not sure i like this gold color... Hmmm... I think i want a more brass color look.

Is that an anodise, paint or powder coat?
Better late than never.

Offline ChrisFields

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2020, 08:30:04 PM »
It's actually a chem conversion. like a cold bluing, but brass coloring for aluminum. or gold i should say. sadly it comes out too dull. I did some tests earlier today with some anodizing paints and it looks much. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. thanks

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 12:24:44 PM »
Huh, I had no idea that was a thing. Another thing to try out. :cool:
Better late than never.

Offline ChrisFields

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 06:36:19 PM »
Ok, feel much better about the brass paint effect i figured out. Had to mix some colors. Pics don't do it justice. And trying to decide which screws where go where. Lol

retrousse