fiduciary

Author Topic: TeensySaber Software Discussion  (Read 67178 times)

Offline Whosle

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Re: TeensySaber Software Discussion
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2017, 06:39:41 PM »
  Back again with some more info.

I tried a new sd card and sd card reader, no luck.

Shortened the wires, no luck. Strange thing is, when the teensy boots up and flashes orange SMD, the card reader activity light also lights up.

I have upgraded to your new software. Now it gets stuck on font01. Rebooting without a card gets me robot voice! So cool.

Without an SD card, PWD brings back font01/ but DIR shows no files.

If I try and plug in an SD card and try Next Pre , robot voice says an error, which is difficult to make out.

I am having trouble with MTP. My computer shows an SD directory (without sd card inserted) and a serial flash directory. The SD directory shows about half a gig free. The serial flash is Red. I tried drag and drop into both, and I am still not getting any sounds, and I cannot see the files in monitor or playfile.

I am going to try and re-format my sounds again, to make sure they are correct.

Any chance there is a sample soundfont , that is in best format/sample rate etc?

I am using the standard (but resampled) light meat , dark meat, grey meat distributed on plecter cards.

I am wondering now if it is a soundfont format issue.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2017, 07:40:36 PM »
  Back again with some more info.

I tried a new sd card and sd card reader, no luck.

Shortened the wires, no luck. Strange thing is, when the teensy boots up and flashes orange SMD, the card reader activity light also lights up.

I have upgraded to your new software. Now it gets stuck on font01. Rebooting without a card gets me robot voice! So cool.

Without an SD card, PWD brings back font01/ but DIR shows no files.

If I try and plug in an SD card and try Next Pre , robot voice says an error, which is difficult to make out.
Probably "bank open failure"
SD card is only detected on boot, so inserting an sd after boot doesn't work.

I am having trouble with MTP. My computer shows an SD directory (without sd card inserted) and a serial flash directory. The SD directory shows about half a gig free. The serial flash is Red. I tried drag and drop into both, and I am still not getting any sounds, and I cannot see the files in monitor or playfile.

Hmm, might not work well with sd card problems.
Try commenting out ENABLE_SD
You can use "ls" command to see files on the serialflash.
You can also format the serialflash with the "format" command. (takes 30 seconds or so)
The SD library doesn't provide a way to read the available disk space, so MTP always reports half a gig for the SD card right now.

I am going to try and re-format my sounds again, to make sure they are correct.
Any chance there is a sample soundfont , that is in best format/sample rate etc?

Try downloading the standard Igniter font pack?

I am using the standard (but resampled) light meat , dark meat, grey meat distributed on plecter cards.

Try the unresampled files?
You could also send me the files and I could try them on my boards.

[/quote]
I am wondering now if it is a soundfont format issue.
[/quote]

I don't actually think so, but I could be wrong.
Try using an empty directory as your default sound font.
If it still hangs, you know it's not the files.
If it doesn't hang you can use "dir" to make sure that the sd card can be read. (If it hangs during "dir", there is a almost certainly a wiring issue of some sort.)
If "dir" works, you can do "play font03/poweron.wav" to see if that works.
You can also try "readalot <filename>", which will read a lot of data from the file, but will not play anything or try to decode WAV files.

Offline Whosle

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2017, 10:08:34 PM »
Well I am at a loss,

MTP Serialflash doesn't seem to work for me. Files don't seem to upload. The teensy can't seem to find them.  I know it's experimental, have you already had success? I tried igniter sounds as well .(thanks btw, I didn't know about them).

I tried all your suggestions, some of them I had tried initially, and retried again.

It's super weird. Unless I managed to fry the teensy in a very specific way, or there is a fundamental thing I have overlooked.

It's so close, the simple string blade powers on and off with monitor commands and buttons, If I boot without SD card.

I am trying a long format on the SD card for one more go.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2017, 10:33:32 PM »
Well I am at a loss,

MTP Serialflash doesn't seem to work for me. Files don't seem to upload. The teensy can't seem to find them.  I know it's experimental, have you already had success? I tried igniter sounds as well .(thanks btw, I didn't know about them).

I've managed to upload some files to the serialflash through MTP, but I haven't done a LOT of testing yet.
Try the rawfile-uploader sketch, which is an alternate way to upload things to the serialflash.

I tried all your suggestions, some of them I had tried initially, and retried again.

So which ones works and which ones do not?

It's super weird. Unless I managed to fry the teensy in a very specific way, or there is a fundamental thing I have overlooked.

WHile I don't know what's going on, it sounds REALLY similar to what happens if you mix up miso and mosi.
Are you triple-darn-sure you have those hooked up right?
Frying the teensy is a possibility, but not particularly common.
Ideally you'd use an oscilloscope or a digital analyzer to see what is going on the SD card pins.
If you don't have any of those, you might try a multimeter (set it to AC to check for digital signals)
Also, there are digtal analyzer sketches for arduino/teensy, so you could potentially hook up another teensy or arduino to the relevant pins and run a sketch that lets you see what is going on.

One more thing: I've noticed that if the communication between the teensy and the SD card breaks down. Rebooting the teensy typically doesn't help. Only removing the sd card or cutting the power actually helps.

It's so close, the simple string blade powers on and off with monitor commands and buttons, If I boot without SD card.

I am trying a long format on the SD card for one more go.

Make sure you use fat32.

Offline Whosle

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2017, 06:34:41 AM »
Wait, I just may have found the fundamental issue.

Are the MOSI and MISO connections from teensy to prop shield supposed to,be connected? I assumed all the wire connections are just connected to the teensy alone.

So which ones works and which ones do not?

For my issue, I tried all the simple solves first, like using the soundfonts as is, after I modified them, no directories on soundcards etc.

Part of my problem was improper diagnostics in the first few messages. Some of the issues were created from the same root cause, which was the teensy bricking.

Are you triple-darn-sure you have those hooked up right?

I even switched them before I tried another SD card reader , which actually has MOSI and MISO labeled on board as opposed to DI DO etc.  I will try switching them again when the iron is hot.

Just to confirm, MOSI=DI which is connected to pad 11 on teensy.
MISO=D0 connected to pad 12.

Ideally you'd use an oscilloscope or a digital analyzer to see what is going on the SD card pins.
If you don't have any of those, you might try a multimeter (set it to AC to check for digital signals)
Also, there are digtal analyzer sketches for arduino/teensy, so you could potentially hook up another teensy or arduino to the relevant pins and run a sketch that lets you see what is going on.

Yes, that was the next step. The monitor is able to show info on accelerometers and such, so I didn't think it could be a propshield communication issue. At this point I am not sure if the MTP transfer is an unrelated  issue or not. I will try the rawfile uploader sketch.

Perhaps one of the teensy to prop shield pins doesn't have a perfect connection, but my soldering is usually pretty good. If I find a misbehaving Pin, I will see which one is best to use as backup.

Rebooting the teensy typically doesn't help. Only removing the sd card or cutting the power actually helps

I had been pulling the blade typically. The teensy has no problem being recognized by the computer, and if there is not a SD card inserted, I can get serial monitor everytime.

I might try and dismantle the unit and try again from scratch, while I put together the 3.6. I dislike that idea, as I risk mucking up the pads if I'm hasty.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:49:18 AM by Whosle »

Offline Whosle

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2017, 08:09:05 AM »
IT WORKS!!!!!!@@!

Thank you so much for your patience and free knowledge!!

Soooo awesome.

Made my day!

I sent you a PM.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2017, 01:40:00 PM »
So what made it work?
Was it hooking up the prop shield signals, swapping miso/mosi or something else?

Offline bobi-one

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2017, 05:11:36 AM »
I've added support for my Oled lcd, but currently im using adafruits library and simple wrapper. Need to simplify it in order to use the teensy wire lib, as I want to hook it up on the second i2c bus. But even on the same bus it works ok ( with the simple animation and motion chip).
I realized this LCD is a perfect fit for the graflex clamp :D. Will post code once its beautified.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xJK8TzkY04mXerrH3
https://photos.app.goo.gl/abQXgizNJeRMNi0K2

Now the fun part begins - writing graphical interface :D

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2017, 09:47:50 AM »
I've added support for my Oled lcd, but currently im using adafruits library and simple wrapper. Need to simplify it in order to use the teensy wire lib, as I want to hook it up on the second i2c bus. But even on the same bus it works ok ( with the simple animation and motion chip).
I realized this LCD is a perfect fit for the graflex clamp :D. Will post code once its beautified.

http://photos.app.goo.gl/xJK8TzkY04mXerrH3
http://photos.app.goo.gl/abQXgizNJeRMNi0K2

Now the fun part begins - writing graphical interface :D

That's pretty awesome.
Where do you buy that display?
Do you really need to worry about putting on a separate i2c bus?
I'm hoping that this will become a pull request for me to add to the teensysaber code. :)
I've been thinking about buying one of these: SparkFun TeensyView - LCD-14048 - SparkFun Electronics
But the short wires means you couldn't put it in a clamp like you suggested.

Offline bobi-one

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2017, 01:42:49 AM »
This is the model that I got -> IIC I2C 0.91" 128x32 White OLED LCD Display Module DC 3.3V 5V For Arduino PIC |
My only concern is the lcd not to intervene in any way in the gyro communication, as motion is with higher priority for me. So better safe then sorry, and use the other bus :D.
For the sparkfun model although the flex cable is short, it still can be extended with some kynar wire.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2017, 11:58:59 AM »
This is the model that I got -> IIC I2C 0.91" 128x32 White OLED LCD Display Module DC 3.3V 5V For Arduino PIC |
My only concern is the lcd not to intervene in any way in the gyro communication, as motion is with higher priority for me. So better safe then sorry, and use the other bus :D.
For the sparkfun model although the flex cable is short, it still can be extended with some kynar wire.

Nice! (and cheap too!)
It depends on the protocol and speed of the device, but I'd be surprised if this would interfere with the motion in any noticable way.  If it does, I would just update the display in chunks with a YIELD() call in between each chunk.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2017, 11:19:33 AM »
I'm looking to put together a default sound font pack for teensysaber.
Any recommendations for free fonts?

For any sound font makers out there: I'd be happy to include readme files for each font so that people will know who made them and where to get more fonts. Also, I would love to have some fonts with looped swing sounds, which seems to be a feature unique to TeensySaber right now.

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
  • Do or do not. There is no try.
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2017, 12:36:00 PM »

For any sound font makers out there: I'd be happy to include readme files for each font so that people will know who made them and where to get more fonts. Also, I would love to have some fonts with looped swing sounds, which seems to be a feature unique to TeensySaber right now.

I would suggest a few of the default Naigon electronics packs found here http://www.saberigniter.com/downloads.aspx or ultrsabers default sound packs Obsidian USB Sound Fonts | Obsidian Sound Fonts| Ultrasabers.com Their sound packs are a .LSU file format which I do not believe works with the teensysaber.

Also how have you been, communication on here in various forms seems to have dipped, myself included. I am looking forward to using these new options in some of my saber builds. I took the summer to digest, relax, and think about a new chassis design, which in theory, which should allow me, and the user, to have multiple sabers only needing one set of electronics. I am currently in the design phase, and when parts arrive I will hopefully be able to print and make a prototype to see if it works as expected.

Feedback would be much appreciated or if you have any suggestions as how this could be possible that would help too.

Again, thanks for all the work you do and I look forward to creating some amazing sabers this year!

Regards,

GMcIvor
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:41:56 PM by gmcivor »

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2017, 01:32:43 PM »

I would suggest a few of the default Naigon electronics packs found here http://www.saberigniter.com/downloads.aspx or ultrsabers default sound packs Obsidian USB Sound Fonts | Obsidian Sound Fonts| Ultrasabers.com Their sound packs are a .LSU file format which I do not believe works with the teensysaber.

While it would be fairly easy to put together a bunch of free fonts found on the internet, I really would prefer to have direct permission from the creators of those fonts.

Also how have you been, communication on here in various forms seems to have dipped, myself included. I am looking forward to using these new options in some of my saber builds. I took the summer to digest, relax, and think about a new chassis design, which in theory, which should allow me, and the user, to have multiple sabers only needing one set of electronics. I am currently in the design phase, and when parts arrive I will hopefully be able to print and make a prototype to see if it works as expected.

I've been good, poking around with building a 125W saber... :)

Sharable electronics sounds cool, but difficult. I've been pondering how to make a chassis that easy to remove for my sabers, not because I want to share the electronics, but because I would like to make it easy to swap the batteries. However, I could never figure out a good system for handling the connections to things which are wired into the hilt. (buttons, speakers, charge ports, PLI, etc.)

Feedback would be much appreciated or if you have any suggestions as how this could be possible that would help too.

Again, thanks for all the work you do and I look forward to creating some amazing sabers this year!

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
  • Do or do not. There is no try.
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2017, 09:09:15 AM »
Yes, that makes sense, well i wish you luck in finding them and if I see any I will let you know.

oh that sounds amazing:) So what is the main difference between the V2 and V3 board? Amp?

Yes, I dont want to share with anyone just myself and other sabers I build. I want to be able to remove some of the electronics to make it easier for programming and battery swapping. I took a note from your book and was going to use pogo pins and some perf board as a prototype. The button assembly and blade connector will be fixed in the hilt and the pommel will push the electronics into that assembly completing the circuit.

Regards,

GMcIvor
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:17:51 AM by gmcivor »

retrousse