fiduciary

Author Topic: Lining up MHS pieces. Any tips?  (Read 550 times)

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
Lining up MHS pieces. Any tips?
« on: February 16, 2020, 08:11:09 AM »
Okay, I'm once more in a bit of a pickle, and could do with the help of the Saber world's brain trust:

Late last year, my Saber VI build hit a wall at around 98% completion. I had some issues with dodgy DIYino components (now fixed, hurrah!) and, shortly after starting a forum post praising the MHS for holding up after drilling a ridiculous amount of holes into the threads, you guessed it, a key MHS piece gave way because I drilled too many holes into it :wink:

So, I got a replacement MHS part, and some clocking washers to help line everything up. And it Just. Will. Not. Line. Up. Whatever I try, I cannot get the new piece to line up correctly with the rest of the hilt. I did some etching work on this hilt, as well as some protruding parts, so all the MHS needs to line up precisely. If I line the pieces up manually, the gap between pieces is about 1mm, which is tiny, but in terms of rotation, the pieces are something like 220 degrees from where they need to be for the threads to lock.

My thoughts out of this:

1) attempt to 3D print an extra thick clocking washer to line the pieces up, then just bolt the two MHS pieces together so they don't wobble. practical, and I can just about rig up a way to make it fit the aesthetics of the saber by rebuilding a couple of parts.

2) sand down the female end of the MHS piece, so that the male threads can go a bit tighter and hopefully line up. the downside there is that I've got incredibly limited space in hilt for the chassis, and shortening the MHS pieces like that might be enough to make everything not fit.

That's all I've got. If anyone's got any ideas, I'm all ears.
Better late than never.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
Re: Lining up MHS pieces. Any tips?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 09:46:40 AM »
Watch this video and you'll solve 95% of your clocking issues. 

Spoiler: Rob's first demonstrated technique is your #2, and the shortening difference is literally nothing. :cool:

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: Lining up MHS pieces. Any tips?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 01:53:52 PM »
At worst you'd be shortening it by almost the pitch of the thread.

retrousse