fiduciary

Author Topic: SirRawThunderMan's Saber V  (Read 1867 times)

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
SirRawThunderMan's Saber V
« on: June 09, 2019, 11:36:09 AM »
Here we go again!

So, after a bit of help with wrestling a foam diffuser into a polycarbonate tune that it definitely wasn't designed to fit into, my Saber V is at long last complete!

Features:
       -DIYino Homebrew on a custom carrier board, powered by FX-SaberOS
       -144p/m Neopixel blade (although only 125 pixels total, plus one accent)
       -Custom designed and printed removable 3D printed core
       -Custom 3D printing and anodising throughout
       -custom 3D printed pommel piece with MHS compatible threading
       -some mild hacking up of MHS pieces

Wall of Pictures

videos:
Teaser

Long rambling mess, now, with actual listenable audio

Ultra Special Thanks go out to Jbkuma for putting up with the flood of stupid questions I kept asking on the FX-SaberOS facebook page.

Stay Tuned for Saber VI, coming soon (featuring my first foray into modded FX-SaberOS code)

*edited to replace the old weird audio video with new, better audio video*

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 03:59:34 AM by SirRawThunderMan »
Better late than never.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
Re: SirRawThunderMan's Saber V
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 02:03:43 PM »
Good looking hilt. The sync is a titch off; I still got the gist. :wink:  Congratulations on your promotion, director. :police:

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 02:00:16 AM »
Oh, wow, I'm really not sure how the audio managed to get that badly off. It was fine before I uploaded it. And I've only just noticed that somehow, 53 seconds have added themselves into the video (the original file is exactly 12min long) That is weird. And annoying.

I doubt it'll top 50 views before the heat death of the universe, but it's bugging me enough that I'm going to have to re-upload  :cheesy:

*edit* Done!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 04:01:18 AM by SirRawThunderMan »
Better late than never.

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 08:50:07 AM »
Awesome build. Nice job!

Offline Darkmatter73

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 10:33:06 AM »
Great job man. Cleverness inside and out, and I love the Graflex feel of it, without being one. Fine work!
-Darkmatter73

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 06:02:11 PM »
Slick move with the Pro Mini and the 90 degree FTDI breakout. FX-SaberOS has always been compatible with the Pro Mini but I never see anyone use them.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 02:48:00 AM »
Slick move with the Pro Mini and the 90 degree FTDI breakout. FX-SaberOS has always been compatible with the Pro Mini but I never see anyone use them.

Well, you know what they say, Cram-fu is the mother of invention. The extra 3.7mm saved by not having a Micro USB is worth the hassle of dealing with the Pro Mini.

That said, I'm only really still using them because I had a custom carrier board made for my saber commission last year, in an attempt to make it look like a professional install job, and the PCB place I went to had a minimum order of 3. One spare down, one to go!

Honestly, they're not ideal for the job. I mean, they've got the hardware requirements to run FX-SaberOS (trying S.T.R.E.A.M. on it is on my to-do list for the weekend) but the fact that they've been officially discontinued by Arduino in favour of the Pro Micro means that only the Chinese knockoff manufacturers make them these days.

Quality, and more importantly, pin locations, vary wildly between manufacturer. I've seen clones with the official Arduino pinout, some with the DF-Robot pinout, some a mirrored DF-robot, some entirely random, etc. I did toy with the idea of offering the carrier board I designed to Brewboard/Saber Republic as an alternative DIYino carrier, but the lack of consistency between Pro mini pinouts is what nipped that idea in the bud.

And to top that, as happened on my first pro mini order, eBay/Amazon sellers will just happily mix up the 3.3V, 8MHz version with the 5V, 16MHz version. Because hey, a Pro mini is a Pro mini, right?  :wink:

I mean, at least with the Nano clones, pinout, voltage and clock speed will be consistent. I still wish there was one without the bulky USB connection. The Pro micro is a step in the right direction, but its pinout is a mess that would require reworking the stock FXS-OS pins. Or the end user modifying the code themselves.

...huh, that turned into a rant real quick.
Better late than never.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 07:44:52 AM »
Incredibly sick saber! Huge fan of your designs

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 07:51:15 AM »
I really love this saber! 

I have used the Mini in the past.  Once everything is set up, the USB is mostly just taking up space and consuming current.  A number of people have asked about the Micro, maybe we should take a closer look at adding a definition for it.  I've had a ATmega1284 based board designed for a while and just haven't gotten around to making up prototypes. It would basically be a minor upgrade to a 328 based saber with more memory and SRAM.

The pin issue is part of what has slowed down the next gen development of FX-SaberOS, with the Cortex boards there are so many pin options and board options that it's hard to find consistency.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 08:59:12 AM »
I really love this saber! 

A number of people have asked about the Micro, maybe we should take a closer look at adding a definition for it.

Thanks, man!

I have been meaning to look into getting my breadboard rig running with the Micro clone I've got, but as my next saber is going to require all six PWM pins, and the Micro only has five, I put that on hold until I finished modding FX-SaberOS.

Which is now done, so I'll try and find some time to fiddle with my breadboard rig this week.
Better late than never.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 05:38:20 PM »
Oh, you know didn't even realize that the Pro Mini was officially discontinued. That kind of makes me sad. It's my go-to board. Oh well, I've got a little stockpile of them to last for a while. Let me know how you like STREAM when try it out. The new Brewboard version of the firmware added for version 1.51 uses a pinout identical to FX-SaberOS.

Offline Jediseth

• Force User
  • Jediseth sound fonts available at saberfont.com
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 05:57:59 PM »
Great work!!

retrousse