fiduciary

Author Topic: MHS Nihilus (esque) Custom Build with Proffie, Neopixels, Smoothswing  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Megtooth Sith

• No Force
  • Having fun learning the hobby.
    • My Youtube Channel
This was my second go at a MHS Nihilus-like hilt.  I made improvements on my first iteration.  Thank you to Darth Chasm for the conduit tutorial, of course I used it here!  Mostly TCSS Chassis parts, but also used a Goth3Designs MHS compatible chassis module on the rear of the hilt.  It just worked out cleaner than my original chassis design.  MHS Speaker Holder 4 contains SE 28mm Bass Speaker that is deafeningly loud.  KSith's smoothswing package is aboard, and his latest version of Vengaence is liable to blow my speakers or my eardrums!  The clash is LOUD!  Saber also features Blue Tooth control via a Red Bear BLE Nano II. 

At any rate, the saber features 5 independent neopixel effect blades, all driven by the Proffie.
Blade 1:  Main Saber Blade/Neopixel Blade Plug
Blade 2:  Independent crystal chamber pulses on idle, matches blade when on.
Blade 3:  Clockwise cycle turbine behind crystal chamber.
Blade 4:  Anti-clockwise cycle turbine behind crystal chamber.
Blade 5:  Neopixel PLI Battery Meter (changes color as state of battery degrades)

Here are some ugly pics of the brainstorming on the initial shroud work:

I didn't like the squared off trim pieces on the tail and near emitter, they looked unbalanced.  After a poll on TCSS, I went for a mitred tail piece, as well as a mitered undershroud beneath it.

and with some preliminary shaping

Still didn't like the upper piece, so I mitred it too, to get it to match the angularity of the rest of the shrouds.

After a lot of filing and shaping, this was approaching the final appearance prior to weathering:

Preliminary weathering, and moved saber clip so it was more aesthetically pleasing to me:

Setting the weathering with dishes!

Here are a couple pics of the finished saber first, and install in progress second.  All shrouds were hand cut, I have just simple tools, but I like the rough look of the hilt, its sithy. 

Install progression, this was VERY rough in of all the wires, none cut to length yet.

DEMO VIDEO BELOW:

Thank you for checking it out.  Also, thank you to Madcow, TCSS, Shameem, Darth Chasm, Jedi Seth, Profezzorn, Zimmer, etc. and many others for the inspiration.  Charging on. 

Tom
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 09:26:23 AM by Megtooth Sith »

Offline Darkmatter73

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
Re: MHS Nihilus (esque) Custom Build with Proffie, Neopixels, Smoothswing
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 10:30:15 AM »
This is awesome Tom! Always look forward to see what you're working on, and your videos too.
This saber has a great feel to it, like you said rough cut. To me it always feels a bit more real that way.
Also the overlapping shroud bits are sweet, and so many neopixel tidbits in there!

You should be proud of this one, she's a beauty!

-Darkmatter73

Offline Megtooth Sith

• No Force
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 10:00:33 PM »
I appreciate it, this one was in my head and on my bench for a long time.  It was awesome to bring the vision to life.  I didn't mean it to be accurate to the game prop, just close enough.  Now that I made it, I have to envision my next MHS project!  My favorite sabers are the ones I make/design, its a lot more fun to me. 

Tom

Offline Megtooth Sith

• No Force
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 09:27:58 AM »
I added some of the build brainstorming pictures to the first post, so you can see the shroud work/brainstorming.  Wish I could find some thinner pipe to go over MHS Shroud, but it works. 

Offline Kreyhn

• No Force
  • BZZSHZRRMMmmmmm...
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 07:02:52 AM »
That is a vicious looking, and sounding saber!  It appears deceptively normal-sized in the pictures, but once it's in the video- that thing is enormous!  The sound font really makes it O.O
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 07:04:57 AM by Kreyhn »

Offline Megtooth Sith

• No Force
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 08:27:41 AM »
That is a vicious looking, and sounding saber!  It appears deceptively normal-sized in the pictures, but once it's in the video- that thing is enormous!  The sound font really makes it O.O

The hilt is large, as in larger than a Graflex.  MHSV1 is rather large.  I think I could shrink it in length and girth if there was a greater selection in MHSV2.  For me, I'm a big guy, the saber feels balanced and comfortable.  Sound fonts Annihilation/Necro by Shameem (saberfont.com) and Krossguard Smoothswing/Vengeance Smoothswing by KSith.

Tom

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 08:45:36 AM »
Amazing lightsaber my friend. Tremendous work. Love the crystal chamber and the pixel ring. Your Kylo outfit at the end is very intimidating!

Offline Megtooth Sith

• No Force
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 10:31:08 AM »
Thanks Space/Exar Kun! 

retrousse