fiduciary

Author Topic: TRUE full blade!  (Read 5839 times)

Offline Choos

• Padawan Learner
  • Yep new
Re: TRUE full blade!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2015, 08:09:06 AM »
Would love one of those as well, make an extreme display blade!

Offline Mazzic

• No Force
  • Wordsmith
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 04:12:36 PM »
Is there a reason no one does this? Don't economically viable?
This life is more than just a read through.

Offline Habbena

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • "I See You Have Constructed a New Lightsaber"
    • Illuminated Saber Design and Concepts
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 08:10:06 PM »
Is there a reason no one does this? Don't economically viable?

There are few reasons why "one piece blades" aren't common or mass produced.  (This is from my experience of a blade design and production).

1)  Making a blade of polycarbonate with a rounded tip would take a particular mold which would cost in the thousands just to produce the mold.

2)  Even if you get a "one piece blade" diffusion and reflection issues remain.  Part of the design necessities of making a good blade is getting good reflective properties and, often overlooked, evenness of light throughout the blade.  Most sabers have a reflective tip.  If you have a shine through tip, you have to be able to calibrate the reflection and amount the "shines through" as well as the diffusion in the tip to match closely to the rest of the blade.  Not having this done properly will case an extreme flare at the end of the tube.  All of these things are extremely difficult to do if you aren't working with an open ended tube.

I do think a good looking one piece blade is possible.  I have heat formed polycarbonate (which is what I think the maker of this blade has done).  It looks OK, but not as good as shine through tip.  I am skeptical about how this blade looks with a real eye test.  As most know, it is hard to get a good beat on how blades really look in photos because of overexposure of intense light.

Anyways my 2 cents.

retrousse