fiduciary

Author Topic: Long Blade vs Short Blade l  (Read 21988 times)

Offline cyclops

• Force User
Long Blade vs Short Blade l
« on: December 05, 2008, 01:35:56 AM »
Hi everyone! Ive been AWOL for so long due to personal reasons, so i would like to take this opportunity to say hi to all the friends I have made and hi to all the friends i will make.
I'm going to attempt to post at least one post a day ( but dont hold me to that  ;D )

So onto the subject - Depending on the height of a person what would the ideal blade length be for that person?

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
Re: Long Blade vs Short Blade l
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 02:32:02 AM »
Just my opinion but...

Stand upright, holding saber in one hand with blade pointed downward. swing arm straight forward and backward. It should be of a length that it doesnt hit the ground. For me thats 30", your mileage may vary.

Of course thinking more 'canonically' I guess since Jedi couldnt 'break' a lightsaber blade like that of a real sword that may explain why canon lightsabers had approx metre long blades. It might also explain why so many prequel trilogy architecture ceilings were rather high [remembers whacking my light fixture with my first FX saber...hey havent we all done that? lol] One does wonder if there were scorch marks all over the Jedi training room floors though. And is a meter long blade really sensible on pressurized spaceships where accidentally slicing through the floor might be a even worse idea?
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline ASAJJ VENTRESS

• you think YOU have a bad hair day...
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Simple isn't always easy.
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 12:15:12 PM »
not sure how this helps, because I never seem to have  ruler next to me, but my main saber, the prophecy comes up to my diaphram.

I (up until last week anyway) do have about 5 different sabers, and they vary in length.  I'm 5'3", and my trainer is (obviously) a bit taller than me, but I've been able to handle his sabers as well.  (off topic, handled his newest acquisition, and oh was it sweet, if a little bottom heavy, but I digress)

I prefer my hilt to be around 9-10 inches in length, with the standard length blade.  If need be, I can handle something longer, just not well or gracefully.

I'm also thinking that you would have to take your style into consideration?  My swordplay training is Japanese based, and so I hold my sabers the way I would my bokken.  (that's one hand at the bottom of the hilt, one hand close to the top, rather than both hands in the middle if this is something you're unfamiliar with.  Sorry, don't know your experience level.)

Sometimes I want to use a single handed grip (like for the fancy, behind the back, spinning, tossing, reverse grip stuff) so in theory there could be a little more leeway for length there.

So, why the question?  Curious, or wanting to start a project, or looking for suggestions?

For everything you gain, you lose something else.

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer the consequences

Dream Big, Build Bigger.

Offline cyclops

• Force User
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 02:09:39 AM »
So, why the question?  Curious, or wanting to start a project, or looking for suggestions?

Looking for suggestions and curious. plus im desiging a new custom saber that i want to be perfect but all my sabers have a personality of there own. I understand what you say Je-Rel Drood.

Offline ASAJJ VENTRESS

• you think YOU have a bad hair day...
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Simple isn't always easy.
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 08:28:14 PM »
I'm sure your saber wil be a work of art!

I don't know how much my opinion is worth, I've only been training for about a year, and I've only been using light sabers since August, but use them I do, and I don't know how happy I would be without them.

I'm sure you will take your style into consideration with your newest creation.

Please keep in mind that there really is no "correct" length, it's all preference.

Oh, and don't forget to post pics of this!  I'm definitely cruious!

For everything you gain, you lose something else.

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer the consequences

Dream Big, Build Bigger.

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 02:05:27 AM »
Blade length Ideally should be as Onli-Won has described. BUT as he stated your mileage may vary.

It also lends itself to subjective preference.

I prefer my blades to be about 34-36" depending on the hilt length, and the grade of the blade (thick or thin walled). 

Offline Do-Clo

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 03:47:45 PM »
I find that a longer blade works best for me, I like the blade to be 40 inches long, with 2 inches off blade in the blade holder you have around a 38 inch blade.

Offline The Highwayman

• Formerly known as Caden
  • Master Force User
  • Political Thread Pioneer #1
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 05:02:19 PM »
I like about a 32-34 inch blade on my, well, anything. It's more mangable for me and doesn't require as much ground clearence checking. A longer blade may hit the ground more than you want it to. (I would hope you wouldn't want it to hit at all.) ;) It really all depends on size and preference.

"It's obvious that the price of this game cannot be determined by our knowledge of fair market value, but by our skills with a lightsaber." - Obi-wan (Jedimoves)

Offline Susano

• No Force
  • You're beyond redemption! I am Great Susano!!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 12:30:57 PM »
Can't speak for lightsaber dueling, but from my Iaido experiences, for an average height of 5'10", the blade should be approximately 75cm, or around 30 inches, with a shinken or iaito, that gives you a total weapon length around 40 - 42" from fuchi to kissaki (the pommel to the point).
"By what right do you address me with such condescension? You're beyond redemption! I am Great Susano!!!! A God in Heaven and on Earth!!! Warrior Lord of the Black Dragon Eye!! God of Darkness, Death, and Destruction!!!"

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 11:34:15 AM »
Iaido, Susano? What Ryu?

I also use that measurement  method. All my sabers are around 30 inches with 12 inch hilts. In Iaido, I use a 27.5" blade with 11.5" hilt, but I add a little on the blade side on my lightsaber since they're much lighter. It also helps somewhat to counteract guys like Darth Technous with their 38" blades, lol :)
**I AM RETIRED from saber commission building**

Offline Susano

• No Force
  • You're beyond redemption! I am Great Susano!!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 07:57:46 PM »
Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu
"By what right do you address me with such condescension? You're beyond redemption! I am Great Susano!!!! A God in Heaven and on Earth!!! Warrior Lord of the Black Dragon Eye!! God of Darkness, Death, and Destruction!!!"

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 08:06:03 PM »
Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu

Musō Jikiden Eishin-ryū (無双直伝英信流 or 無雙直傳英信流, Musō Jikiden Eishin-ryū?), meaning "peerless, directly transmitted, school of Eishin" is one of the most widely practiced school of the Japanese martial art of iaidō in the world. Frequently shortened simply to Eishin-ryū, this school claims an unbroken history of about 450 years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mus%C5%8D_Jikiden_Eishin-ry%C5%AB

because someone will ask.

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline Firith Tar

• TWI'LEK SCHOLAR OF THE BLADE
  • Master Force User
  • Parting the clouds, seeking the way...
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 02:09:39 PM »
that sounds like 2.50-2.45 shaku with a 8.5 sun tsuka....
There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out

Offline Rosebudteg

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 04:37:51 PM »
I don't know what they all are talking about... but I'm 6'3" and I've found that a 32" blade works well for me. 

6'3"??

32" Blade?

Yeah, I find with a 36" blade I can't spin it very well, I tend to hit the ground a lot and I can't do a behind-the-back spin at all because I can't keep the blade off the ground.

32" blade is nice.

On my wife's Ultrasabers Liberator I've found a 28" blade provides the perfect balance, and for her being 5'3" it works very well for her.  Although it does look short.

Yeah, she's a whole foot shorter than I...
Ultrasabers - Blue Phantom Initiate <-- My daughters
Ultrasabers - Red Kestrel <-- My daughter claimed it when I opened the box...
Ultrasabers - Sunrider's Destiny Initiate <-- Collecting all the colors
Ultrasabers - Orange Youngling Initiate <-- My sons
Ultrasabers - Red Liberator with 28" blade <-- My wifes
Ultrasabers - Green Elder with 32" blade <-- Me

Offline Jedi Knight Logan

• MASTER OF THE HURRICANE FLURRY
  • Master Force User
  • "Have lightsaber, will travel....."
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 12:48:42 AM »
Lots of good opinions here... What it boils down to is preference. When training Iai, my shinken are all of the 28.5 blade variety. My claymores are 36-38.5.... different tool... different function. :)  In theory, I could have a lightsaber with a 9 ft. blade... but I'd be using it as a lance, not a sword. ;)

Bottom line, have a blade length that you can wield comfortably.... just my two creds... ;) 

"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack..."

retrousse