fiduciary

Author Topic: Micro USB charger PCB for single cell LiIon battery  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Obi-Vaa

• No Force
  • May the force be with you
Micro USB charger PCB for single cell LiIon battery
« on: October 17, 2017, 01:59:25 PM »
Greetings saber people! I am new here and am currently working on sabers for myself and my daugthers. One of the sabers will just be a plain LED string blade with a switch and a 18650 LiIon battery. To charge the battery without removing it from the saber I came up with this:
I have made a tiny USB charger board based on the LTC4054 chip with programmable charge current up to 800mA.
The board is 6x7mm and can be soldered on the back end of a micro USB connector with solder pads or with wires from a USB connection. The whole thing will then be about 15mm long including the connector and the board with components are smaller that the USB connector so it fits through the connector mounting hole. It can be mounted on the end of the saber through a 2.5x7mm slice. The board connects to the battery and a charge indicator LED.
I will be using a flat chrome 12mm panel toggle switch with LED ligth mathcing the saber that will be used as charge indicator. This makes the build wery simple with 4 components: Battery, LED blade, USB connector with charger and switch with indicator light.
Picures, links and schematics will follow. I have ordered a lot of the tiny PCB's that I can share with you for self cost. I can also solder up some boards if anyone are interested.
USB Connector: 10pcs/lot Micro USB 5pin Female Socket Connector Welding Type for Tail Charging
Change IC: http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/405442xf.pdf
Switch w/LED light: 12V 12mm LED Power Push Button Switch Momentary Latching Waterproof Metal | eBay

USB Charger Schematics: http://i.imgur.com/Qtapv8u.jpg
Charge current can be changed with the value of R1. LED current is changed with R2. 220ohm will give app. 10mA.
Prototype soldered directly to USB connector: http://i.imgur.com/zaoji5l.jpg
The board will look like this, with names for the connections on the back side: http://i.imgur.com/937dC3S.jpg
Unpainted saber with holes for mounting switch and USB connector: http://i.imgur.com/rgVFg7M.jpg
The connector is not fully inserted, it will be flush with the rear end. This saber is made as a toy for my 8 year old daughter and is scaled down to 75% of the size.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:43:28 AM by Obi-Vaa »

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
Re: Micro USB charger PCB for single cell LiIon battery
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 03:52:13 AM »
Great idea, I like the linked USB connectors because they have a nice sleeve you can integrate into your hilt/chassis.

As to the whole concept: definitely charging through USB is way more advanced than the more common recharge port option, simply because USB chargers are readily available in mostly all households while dedicated chargers are expensive.

In fact there is already a saber board which has an embedded USB charger, the DIYino Stardust v2.
Please welcome the Stardust V2 - an USB system prop board

Offline Obi-Vaa

• No Force
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 04:19:56 AM »
This USB connector is very nice for saber use and can easily be used for connecting internal boards with USB interface. Just need a drop of glue to keep it in place.
I am aware of the Stardust board and have already been in contact with you about my custom version of the Prime board that also will include this charger circuit:)
This saber will not have a soundboard and just need the USB charger, hence the design of this new board.
I will update this post when the new bards arrives.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 04:34:50 AM by Obi-Vaa »

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 03:28:35 AM »
But I truly hope you put in something to have sound and light...

Offline Obi-Vaa

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 04:58:55 AM »
I will have sound on the other sabers I make, but this one is too small and will only have light. But it should be quite bright with about 100 5mm flat top green high intensity LED's. I made it just so my youngest daughter also could have her own rugged lighsaber to play with.
They are getting hard core Star wars fans, just like their dad. Who am I to deny them their own sabers:) My other daugher will be cosplaying Rey with Luke's first saber.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:44:33 AM by Obi-Vaa »

retrousse